• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HAPPY 4th!!! ladder test question?

fastgixxerlv

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Las vegas NV
Happy 4th and hope everyone has a safe night! I did a ladder test this morning and got this. It was 600 yards lasered. Why is the vertical string not that long? And, do I refine the 3 that grouped at the bottom and the two at the very top? Thank you!
002-9.jpg

Re: HAPPY 4th!!! ladder test question?

First, feel free to do a ladder test at whatever range you desire, but words from Dan Newberry himself:

<span style="font-style: italic">I think ladder tests can sometimes work well if you repeat the test at least three times in calm wind. But I still favor 100 yard OCW testing to find the really stable nodes. I don't have to worry about wind (that much) and it's always easier to set up at 100 yards, as opposed to 300 or farther. The loads I've identified with certainty as OCW loads at 100 yards have never failed to please at longer ranges--in some cases, even to 1000 yards. Dan</span>

There are just so many things that can and will go wrong, @ 600 yds. for a ladder test to be accurate at that range.

IMHO only. I like shorter ranges for a ladder test, like 100 yds.

Bob

Thanks! I'll read up on that. 100 yards would make it alot easier on me. I can go to our local range.

I would say the 3 shot group is your node. concentrate on those three. do you shoot at the local matches?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess I answered my own question
100yards is not far enough away to get a good read
1-32.5
2-33.0
3-33.5
4-34.0
5-34.5
6-35.0 max
7-35.5 over max
8-36.0 over max
9-36.5 over max Still no signs of pressure but stopped

The dot is 1 1/4 inches

1z64oyh.jpg

I guess now I have to figure out how to get my reloading equipment to the range
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Same loads as before plus 10-37.0 over max
This time the distance was 300 yards
8-9-10 look real good even though they are "over max"
Blue Dot is 8 inches

vh3jo2.jpg
</div></div>

Dan's right. From a statistical standpoint, I favor repeating tests and not being stingy about the number of rounds fired with each increment. Before I commit to building significant quantities of a load, I like to be sure, inside and out, that the vershlugginer thing actually works.

Breezy, your 8-9-10 on both targets is where I'd concentrate.

Many - most? - people misunderstand what a ladder test is best for. It isn't "best used" to find an exact load, instead it quickly elimiates charges that WON'T work, allowing us to more quickly concentrate on the better charge ranges. For that, we can work about as well at 100 yards as 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say the 3 shot group is your node. concentrate on those three. do you shoot at the local matches?</div></div>

Those 3 shot really good! Ima do the other test and see if they come close, and see if if the OCW one does as good at long ranges. I don't shoot any matches, just play out in the desert. Are there matches around here? We've asked at the range on the end of Decatur and they did'nt know. Maybe when the range is complete? Let me know. I want to check it out.

that range just opened. there is another range at the west end of charleston ave just past the retention basin. our next tactical match is the first sat in sept. ask the man at the gate to direct you to range 9. we start at 8 bring 70 rounds. you will need a mat and a bipod.

Sweet! The results with the OCW at 100 yards came out the same as the ladder test. So I guess that is for sure the barrels node. I've never shot or even seen a match in person so if you can PM me the rules, how it's set up and what I'll be shooting at I'd appreciate it. Thanks!