• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Happy with My New 597 now...... update!!

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
First day with my new 597. Using Winchester Expert High Velocity ammo. The scenario with every loaded mag.

Load mag, first shot would not chamber, stripped from the mag but would not go into chamber, jammed up high loosening bullet.

Remove mag, dump the round, insert mag, bang.

Round two no trigger, assist bolt into battery several times but trigger has nothing, trigger is in the full rear position, nothing on it, has round in chamber. Remove mag, eject round, insert mag bang, bang, bang.

I put 40 rounds down range but was not happy at all, I think I wasted my money.

Aiming at #1, first round is marked and round #2 hit edge of #3 and I walked in through #3 until hitting #1. Then progression to the numbered targets. 5 shot groups at 25 yards.
001-2.jpg

Re: Not Happy with My New 597 jam o matic

Were you using a 10 rd. mag or a 30 rd.? Sometimes they don't like anything but the 10 rd. ones.

Unfortunately, some 597's need a little work to help them run well. Probably the best thing to do is visit rimfirecentral.com & read how to get your 597 to run. I like mine now, but I wasn't real happy with it when it was new.

Is this 597 new or just new to you? Remington had some teething pains with earlier mags and such? If this is a used rifle then you may have gotten someone else headache? Either way you really want to check out RFC's 597 section for the best info to help you TS this issue Here

Brand new in box, using the factory 10 round mag. Its new and may take some rounds down range but I am really concerned about the trigger.

Thanks.

A call to customer service may just get you a free trigger job and some accessories and of course a rifle that works.

I am going to give it one more range day then call. It was 6F and with factory grease, I found some brown gooey junk in the bolt area and may have been frozen.

FWIW my 597 hated... i mean HATED winchester X-pert ammo. try a different brand as well if you have some laying around.

i have a 597 from the first year they came out, original plastic mags and all. its been pretty good overall for a 22.
smile.gif

+1 on trying some different ammo and a thorough cleaning.

Also, is the follower in the mag sticking? I have a conversion for the AR that uses BlackDog mags and when new the follower would hang up. This changed the angle of the top round so that it would nose up kind of like your describing. I took the mag apart and cleaned up the follower (plastic had a seam from moulding) and it runs like a champ.

Holy crap!! If it were 6* outside, I'd be lucky to put ten rounds on the entire piece of paper with my Annie (Its currently a nice November 88* here)!

Really, clean all the factory gunk, relube with proper gunk then try to see what it does with a differnt ammo (after sending 10-20 rounds of that different ammo to season the tube).

I ended up trading off my 597 due to jamming issues and 2 trigger groups coming apart.Remington did fix it every time under warranty but I simply had no faith in the rifle.

I personally hated the 597's I had one in 22WM and one in 17Hmr both shot decent the fault was with those POS mags. Somebody was making an inline 10 round mag that replaced the double stack Remington one, supposedly fixing all the feeding issues. Sell it and get a 10/22 problem solved.

Take your 597 out of the stock, looking at the rear of the action, you will see 2 setscrews. These hold the guide rails in place, but these come very tight from the factory, and because they are tight, they make the guide rails flex and bind with the bolt.

You need to loosen them, and just tighten them enough where they just touch the guide rods, you do not want to torque them, just finger tight is all. dont worry about them falling out as the stock will not let that heppen.

Thats the #1 tweak all 597's need. The #2 is replace the extractor with a Volquartsen and your 597 will run like a champ and beat the crap out of any stock 10/22 out there.

Pm me if you need anymore help with your 597.

Oh one more thing, +1 on 597's hating the ammo u were using. Try some Wolf Match Target or Match Extra and be amazed at the accuracy of your bone stock 597.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take your 597 out of the stock, looking at the rear of the action, you will see 2 setscrews. These hold the guide rails in place, but these come very tight from the factory, and because they are tight, they make the guide rails flex and bind with the bolt.

You need to loosen them, and just tighten them enough where they just touch the guide rods, you do not want to torque them, just finger tight is all. dont worry about them falling out as the stock will not let that heppen.

Thats the #1 tweak all 597's need. The #2 is replace the extractor with a Volquartsen and your 597 will run like a champ and beat the crap out of any stock 10/22 out there.

Pm me if you need anymore help with your 597. </div></div>

Thanks a bunch!! I tightened the rods just proud of finger tight. I am shocked at how tight they came from the factory, not sure why they were that tight. I should have back torqued them to see just how tight they were.

Using Remington Gold Bullet 525 pack, ran superb. I plan to pick more of this ammo up next week.

I shot off my pack to 100 quickly just to see if it would run with out a hiccup, it did. Shot way low but on center and those tiny holes in cardboard, I had no idea how low but now I know so I can hold over next week. I was amazed at just how well it grouped though with me not even trying. I took pictures but for some reason my firewall will not allow picture up load to anything out so I cannot show the pix. Next week I plan to do more of the same just to put ammo down range with it but also get serious and see how well the 597 and I can get.

Its just a plinker, small game taker and trainer that is cheap(er) to have fun, very very happy now. I had 10/22 since 67 and wanted something better / different and my son is the owner of my 10/22 anyway. I do like it better than my old 10/22, I know 10/22 are all the rage but I am happy with the 597 for the price.

Many thanks again!

Glad to hear that you got everything worked out and the gun if shooting!