• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hard .22lr choice for suppressor.

TrapperJ

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
South FL
I'm in the hunt for a .22lr bolt action to be suppressed. My main goal is 100 yd suppressed accuracy. I've narrowed my choices dow to a CZ 452 American factory threaded (blued and needs thread adapter $50) or a Savage BTVS ( laminated thumbhole stock, ss bull barrel and needs to be cut and threaded). Some will say to get both, but I only want one. I like the ss look, but it is not necessary. I know that Savage makes a factory threaded model, but it doesn't appeal to me. Can't decide.

Re: Hard .22lr choice for suppressor.

I love my CZ 452 American. I had the barrel cut down to 16.1 inches and rethreaded. With my silencerco sparrow and Wolf Match Target ammo it is about as loud as a bb gun and incredibly accurate!

I plan on picking up a savage fv-sr after the shot show and restocking it. I think I'm going with the gemtech for my suppressor as soon as I get my stamp.
I prefer stainless also, but not as picky on a 22lr at this price range. I have quite a few savages (rimfire and centerfire) and they have all been good to me, but the cz is really nice. Have you thought about a used anschutz and have it threaded?

Because it's probably well over $1500?
I know the TacOps integral adds $900 to an Underground Skunkworks 323.

So add that to a 77/22 and refinishing.

Savages shoot out of all proportion to price.

CZs are equally accurate and look a lot less agricultural.

I have always heard good things about the cz. There is actually a used one with a threaded barrel at my local shop thats pretty nice. I've been very happy with my mark II for a while now especially suppressed so hated to spend the money on the cz. Adco threaded the barrel for me about a year ago and its plenty accurate for me at 100 meters. Of course I just found out about savages new Mark II TRR-SR. Its killing me as the stock was the only thing I didn't like as a trainer, so now I think I must have one of these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always heard good things about the cz. There is actually a used one with a threaded barrel at my local shop thats pretty nice. I've been very happy with my mark II for a while now especially suppressed so hated to spend the money on the cz. Adco threaded the barrel for me about a year ago and its plenty accurate for me at 100 meters. Of course I just found out about savages new Mark II TRR-SR. <span style="font-weight: bold">Its killing me as the stock was the only thing I didn't like as a trainer</span>, so now I think I must have one of these. </div></div>

When I read this, wanted to make sure you had seen the thread from Manners about making a stock for the CZ rifles ? Just throwing that out there...

I went with a 452 varmint with plans of a Manners stock when they are done and using a YHM mite. A Boyds tacticool would be a cheaper way to a trainer stock. The 452 has proven to be a real shooter even with cheap ammo.

I went with the CZ452 American 16". Got one of the adapters from the guy on Silencer Talk. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">I've got the website at home if you need it. PM me.</span> It matches the profile of the CZ 16" barrel very well and has internal hex (allen) to tighten it on the barrel. No flats or anything.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=112054&CAT=3600

Mine was very precisely machined and my Liberty Kodiak TL lined up perfectly on it. Really like the Kodak TL. Easy to take apart, dippable since it's Stainless and Titanium, and very quiet on a variety of hosts, both pistols and rifles.

What can do you have, or have coming?

-David
Edgewood, NM

like the above said, picking the can is the hardest part. last year i bought my first can, a swr spectre and is amazingly quiet on my 16" cz452 american. the suppressor is multicaliber 22lr, 22mag, 17hmr,5.7 and it made from ss and can be taken apart. the downfall is weight and price. the aluminum cans are a lot lighter which comes into play if mounted on a pistol. i have 2 pistols i mount the spectre on and the weight is not an issue. but ask around and check other sites. there are a lot of different cans and mfg's. but i have to say i love my spectre!

I have a Liberty Constitution coming as a shared can for my Noveski 12" SBR and a new .22lr rifle. I also bought a cheap beater S&W M41 that a friend threaded as an additional host. It is being ceracoated now (dark earth frame. black barrel). I recarved the badly chipped grips and finished them in wrinkle black. I'm hoping this will be the ultimate beater.

I have a CZ 452 w/16" factory barrel, with a YHM Wraith. It will keep 5 RWS Subs, or Eley Subs in a walnut at 100yds all day long as long as I do my part. Only drawback is I made the mistake on the can of not doing my homework, and its a sealed can. But otherwise the rifle setup is awesome. Its damned accurate.Like others have stated on here, the can is a bigger concern. If you dont like a rifle its an easy to trade or sell item. With a can, it doesnt resell well because of the tax, and other headaches involved with warranties,transfers, etc etc.

my CZ 453 varmint with silencer co sparrow. I get a stiffy in my shorts every time I shoot it
035.jpg

Just make sure you get a can that you can take apart. .22LR leaves a lot of stuff in the suppressor, no matter how clean the ammo is that you are using. This is what was in my Spectre when I took it apart to clean it (CCI-SV ammo):
2.jpg

and after some time with a toothbrush and solvent:
5.jpg

I picked up a CZ. All the reading I did I never read about unhappy CZ owners, the biggest gripe is that you really don't have to do anything other than find the ammo it likes and shoot it.

Another plus for the Spectre on a CZ is that SWR will sell you a 1/2 x 20 endcap, so an adapter isnt needed. They have a Metric thread cap as well.

I have a CZ currently as a host for the Silencerco Sparrow. I am very pleased with this set up, however I like my Cooper as a host ALLOT more.

I would reccomend AWAY from Savage. I have had them in the past and hopefully not again. I have looked at them recently, but everyone looked like it was put together out of parts from the scrap bin. They are usually cheap and accurate though if you can live with a ugly gun.