• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hard Bolt

Ryan Woods

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma
Hello,

I don't know if this falls under here but I think that a bolt would be considered equipment. I read somewhere that a hard bolt would help a round go farther. It was in specific regards to a 6.5 grendel (having a harder bolt) vs a 6.8 spc Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

Re: hard Bolt

Well, that is true but a balance has to be struck between hard enough to be energy efficient and elastic enough to not pose a shatter risk upon concussion. If it's too soft, the bolt will deform over time robbing you of consistency and of small amounts of energy every shot. Too hard and it shatters at some point and your gun blows up in your face.

Personally, this is purely academic and I leave these choices to the professionals and I trust that their metallurgists know best. Since it's such a potential safety hazard, I doubt someone who knows their stuff would make you a harder bolt anyway.

Without any evidence, I don't think the hardness of the bolt will make any difference on muzzle velocity. If you want a harder bolt, you can look into melonite treatment or something similar. This is a surface hardening treatment. Obviously, call and get approval from the action maker before doing anything like this.

Ryan,

Whoever wrote what you read hasn't a clue and I'd make it a point never to read anything that person writes again.

Ryan, I was watching your conversations in the shout box earlier today. Your obviously here trying to learn which is great. A small word to the wise. Worrying about small piddly shit like dishing out an extra pile of money to increase your MV by 16 fps is ridiculous. There are a whole array of skill levels here on this site. However, I think very few would disagree that getting a solid, basic, reasonably inexpensive to feed setup, and shooting the crap out of it is going to benefit you much more than that other stuff. Burning primers and getting some good instruction will do a lot more for you than listening to the internet commandos. just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ryan,

Whoever wrote what you read hasn't a clue and I'd make it a point never to read anything that person writes again. </div></div>

Yeah really. It operates on pressure- a smaller bore diameter or longer barrel will help. A harder bolt would work if there was an impact-energy transfer involved but that's not happening.