• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Hard Cast Lead Through Suppressor?

jda2631

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
Can you shoot hard cast lead projectiles though a centerfire suppressor? And if you "can" is it advisable?

I have a 45 Raptor, and a Hybrid 46 in jail to be used with it. I'd like to be able to shoot some of the heavy 300+ gr hard cast lead bullets through it, just not sure if I can or should.

I shoot polymer coated bullets through my .300 BO with a can all the time. I used to shoot straight lead but switched to coated to cut down on barrel leading. I have no way of evaluating if I'm getting lead in the cans other than a visual inspection. I see no evidence.

If your can is safe for "the dip", you could always do that if you got worried about it.

You can shoot whatever you want but lead will foul the can pretty bad and if you can't take it apart to remove the buildup you are wasting the money you save on bullets. Shoot jacketed bullets and you'll have no problems. Hard cast is still lead and it will eventually fill the can like 22LR suppressors do.

Frank

I owned and shot thousands of rounds in my MP5SD. I would say over a thousand were lead, never saw an issue. I also have an Rugar MkII, 10/22 and a 77/22 that have internal suppressors and the 10/22 is full auto, no problems. I have never taken the suppressors apart and the 77/22 is more quiet than my pellet rifle.
Don't know how your suppressor and caliber might handle it, but this is my experience.

If your silencer is not serviceable do not shoot lead through it!!!!

Laughing, I shoot lead most of the time. Last year it was over 300lbs of cast threw the 308 alone with 80-85% being gas checked subs the rest at 2450fps, been doing this for years, if I've a can/lead issue I don't know it yet.

I have shot a fair amount of lead 300 Blackout, both with lead coating and without. There may be some additional buildup, but there isn't a lot more.

Perhaps you should contact the manufacturer of your can for their recommendations instead of anonymous strangers on the web?