• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hard Drive Crashed

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Just a heads up. My hard drive crashed on my 12 year old (main) computer so I'm using my wife's Lap Top until I get my computer fixed. I may not be on SH very much until my computer gets repaired.

Kind of hard getting use to using a Lap Top... For me anyway...

Re: Hard Drive Crashed

I always used a desk top until I met my wife, who uses a lap top. If you get the right setup it's so much better. Now I'll never go back!

I'm trying to get use to this Lap Top, as I'm thinking of just nixing the tower and going with an LT... Aside from learning this thing I'm on now, it certainly has its pros for simple carry and setup just about anywhere a person would want to take it.

just think of interesting new target you just came across!
laugh.gif

i too had a computer from the ice age, and just upgraded it last year.

got it at best buy, and was the best deal going. i imagine they still have some of the best deals going, just make sure you compare apples to apples when comparing the numbers.

anyway, very please with the setup i have now, much quicker and adaptable, easier and quicker to download cameras and video. using a computer at my primary jog all day, i was climbing the walls when i tried to use the old one at home, so i went with newer just to keep the blood pressure down..... of course it's was obsolete 6 months later.

Hopefully you didnt loose anything too important when it crashed.

Fortunately it doesn't seem as if I lost anything of any importance as my email addresses and favorites list seems to be in tact.

I suspect it was one of the drivers maybe? I'm now looking at a Dell 560. I needed to upgrade the computer regardless, so I may just as well do some research and get a new one.

Fortunately I keep my pictures on Photo Bucket, so those should be safe. Also I don't bank online so nothing lost there.

My gun club Blogs are intact, so I don't know for sure what took place with the old computer but it's time to upgrade. I'll probably give the old computer to the high school to fix and sell at their annual action? I'd hate to shoot it as we've been through so much together over 12 years...
smile.gif

I back up my lap top's hard drive on an 500g external once every 24 hours.

My home computer I am not to concerned with. I have two 500gig hard drives and two 1.5 terabyte hard drives set up on a raid. So if everything is a mirror image as i go. Each 500 will dump over to a 1.5

Well, of all things my stone-age computer is working all right now? I got on a back up account that I keep in case I'd ever need it for any reason and I Restored the system (or rather my account that I use mainly) - ran some security checks - and presto, my computer is working fine on both my accounts. Didn't lose a thing, and my security is sound.

I guess this means I don't have to buy a computer now, so that opens the door for one of those new Marlins when they finally hit the market... There is justice after all for a computer idiot like me.
laugh.gif
Seriously!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I guess this means I don't have to buy a computer now, so that opens the door for one of those new Marlins when they finally hit the market... There is justice after all for a computer idiot like me.
laugh.gif
Seriously!
grin.gif
</div></div>

New Marlins!? What's on the way?? I have an XL7 and it's a very good rifle. I would love a heavy barrel .308 in a good tactical type stock (way more than a new computer).

I've lost a hard drive before and it's horrible if you haven't backed up. I also back up often.

A rimfire computer? Dangit, now there's something else I got to buy!