• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harrell's Powder Measure

AK10mm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2008
Kasilof,AK
www.youtube.com
Just got my first Harrell's powder measure yesterday,this is one nice piece of equipment.I would highly recommend one to anyone that reloads.I don't even need a trickler anymore with this thing.Fast and accurate describes it.

Re: Harrell's Powder Measure

I tried one and did not like it static problems and not as accurate as I would like
I use a quickmeasure then trickle to within .02 of the load
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried one and did not like it static problems and not as accurate as I would like
Bill </div></div>

How many grains of powder and which measure were you using? He mentions possible static problems in the instructions.Are you still using it and then trickling?

Used Harrell's are not often listed for sale. That speaks volumes.

Harrels are sorry attempt to duplicate the true Culver measures. I have a Prometheus, a Harrel, Redding Br-30, Chargemaster, original Culver inserted handfitted into a Lyman by Homer himself and two Lee Perfect Measure and a Denver Instruments 123 to check the repeatability of the measures.

I hate to be on the other side of the fence but the Harrel sucks compared to the ones I listed. For large granules the $19 Lee outperforms the Harrel

Sandrat,

Congratulations. If you need it I have an EXCEL spreadsheet on some settings for you that may get you in the ball park of what ever weight you may be looking for. I made it up using 8 or 10 different powders. If you have Excel on your machine and would like a copy, just send me a regular email and I'll send it to you.

81STFACP,
I have one of the first Premium Harrell's they made. It meteres 1:1 with Homer's conversions. I have checked it againnt 3. I couldn't tell that much difference in how they throw charges. But I like the adjustment scale on the Harrell's a lot better. Besides, buying an original Homer Culver conversion is like trying to buy hen's teeth. They just don't come available very often. And he only made so many. If you have all those powder measures that you like better, just sell the Harrell's. That way it won't be such a burden to you. I'm sure that's what Lynwood would want you to do if you are that unhappy with it. They offer a money back gaurantee if you aren't happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried one and did not like it static problems and not as accurate as I would like
Bill </div></div>

How many grains of powder and which measure were you using? He mentions possible static problems in the instructions.Are you still using it and then trickling? </div></div>

No longer using it drove me nuts using a dropper redding to get close then weighing each charge to within .02 gr in a acculab vic 123 scale.
I take my time with every load . why shoot less than the best??
its your decision but I did not care for mine and it was the top model for apprx. $350.00

I like the Harrell works fine. Ya, the Lee works on large grainular so what, thats it. Then compare it too a prometheus thats $2000 ...come on. Harrell is a fine measure in that price range for all but the most picky. Doesnt deserve to be ripped

On the static electricity problem. I tried wiping it down with different drier sheets and spraying it with "Static Guard". The best thing I have come up with is a 20 foot long piece of about 18 guage wire with alligator clamps soldered on each end. The clamps will take a 3/8" metal piece.

At the range I clip one end to the base of my Harrell's Premium and the other to an 8" spike nail I push in the ground. When I'm at home I clamp one end to the Harrell's as above. But I run the other end to the cold water pipe behind the washing machine. I clip it to the valve handle.

It makes life a lot easier doing it that way. That may not totally eliminate bridging in your drop tube. But it'll take care of almost all of it. All of it that's caused by static anyway.

Working the handle on the powder measure real slow will also help with some of the bridging. This will let the powder drain out before it can "bridge" across the chamber or drop tube.

Static and powder "dumping" are the two most common causes of bridging in your powder measure.

Victor
I have a quick measure and this does not happen , not ripping on anyone or anything just stating the facts for another member it did not work for me but then that's why they make differing products right!!!!
I just dont think you should have to do for a $300 dollar dumper???
Bill
m nv<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the static electricity problem. I tried wiping it down with different drier sheets and spraying it with "Static Guard". The best thing I have come up with is a 20 foot long piece of about 18 guage wire with alligator clamps soldered on each end. The clamps will take a 3/8" metal piece.

At the range I clip one end to the base of my Harrell's Premium and the other to an 8" spike nail I push in the ground. When I'm at home I clamp one end to the Harrell's as above. But I run the other end to the cold water pipe behind the washing machine. I clip it to the valve handle.

It makes life a lot easier doing it that way. That may not totally eliminate bridging in your drop tube. But it'll take care of almost all of it. All of it that's caused by static anyway.

Working the handle on the powder measure real slow will also help with some of the bridging. This will let the powder drain out before it can "bridge" across the chamber or drop tube.

Static and powder "dumping" are the two most common causes of bridging in your powder measure. </div></div>

Bill,

The static problem isn't with "this" powder measure or any specific other. It's caused by a dry or lower humidity atmosphere at the time and location of the measure's use. Although I don't have one of the new electronic powder measures, and I have never examined one close up, I suspect they are grounded back through the electronic circuitry.

You are correct. Tht's why they make different products to do the same thing. The way I feel about it is that it's your money. And it's you that has to be satisfied with what the product does. Whatever you have that you are happy with is the right one for you.

Agreed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill,

The static problem isn't with "this" powder measure or any specific other. It's caused by a dry or lower humidity atmosphere at the time and location of the measure's use. Although I don't have one of the new electronic powder measures, and I have never examined one close up, I suspect they are grounded back through the electronic circuitry.

You are correct. Tht's why they make different products to do the same thing. The way I feel about it is that it's your money. And it's you that has to be satisfied with what the product does. Whatever you have that you are happy with is the right one for you. </div></div>

I own 7 powder measures (1 Harrell's, 1 RCBS, 2 Bonanza, 2 Lyman 55 and 1 Dillon), but only 2 get used nowadays, the Dillon (part of my XL 650 press) and the Harrell's which replaces all others. Enough said...
Dillon650XL.jpg

Harrells.jpg

BTW, I deal with static electricity by washing the powder hopper with dishwasher detergent, then letting it air dry without rinsing.

Some materials are more prone to static generation. I see it on occasion, usually in Jan, Feb. I have more trouble with funnels and drop tubes than measures.

I am very happy for you !!!!!!!!!!!1

I only own 4 so you have me beat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: André</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own 7 powder measures (1 Harrell's, 1 RCBS, 2 Bonanza, 2 Lyman 55 and 1 Dillon), but only 2 get used nowadays, the Dillon (part of my XL 650 press) and the Harrell's which replaces all others. Enough said...
Dillon650XL.jpg

Harrells.jpg

BTW, I deal with static electricity by washing the powder hopper with dishwasher detergent, then letting it air dry without rinsing. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
81STFACP,
I have one of the first Premium Harrell's they made. It meteres 1:1 with Homer's conversions. I have checked it againnt 3. I couldn't tell that much difference in how they throw charges. But I like the adjustment scale on the Harrell's a lot better. Besides, buying an original Homer Culver conversion is like trying to buy hen's teeth. They just don't come available very often. And he only made so many. If you have all those powder measures that you like better, just sell the Harrell's. That way it won't be such a burden to you. I'm sure that's what Lynwood would want you to do if you are that unhappy with it. They offer a money back gaurantee if you aren't happy with it. </div></div>

Victor,

You are right about selling something that is of no use to you. The Culver has been in my reloading room since the early 80s when I shot benchrest, I suppose I am more used to it than the Harrell. However, the Harrell has been my loaner powder measure if anyone needs to borrow one.

I have never tried a Harrell but would sure as hell like to before I plop down the money to buy one. I was told by some that the redding bench rest models threw just as well but I do not know first hand. I use a br 30 right now and works very well for me except sometimes on varget which I see seems to muck up alot of peoples charges. Does the Harrells work good on the varget also or does it have the same problems as others?