• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harris Bipod question.

dyna962007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
STL MO area
So Im not completely up on bipods and Im wondering about getting a Harris.
Given my basic AR-10 using 20" barrel, 25 rounds mags, what is the best length to go with, 6-12" OR 9-13" OR 12-25" ETC?
Also the mounting options. Keymod adapter? there is another one shown on their web site called and M-lock??
Im looking at the swiveling models HBLMS or HDLS or HB25S

It depends... I've had a 6-12" for several years and it has served me well off a bench and especially prone on both a bolt gun and AR platform.. Some guys prefer the 9-13. If you are a varmint shooter/hunter, the tall one might work well since you can sit be hind it. Seems like I put a Precision Weapons System (PWS) keymod adaptor on my last build.

Yes, I would like to be able to use the BP in all positions, prone, sitting, etc so maybe the 9-13 makes sense?

Yes, I would like to be able to use the BP in all positions, prone, sitting, etc so maybe the 9-13 makes sense?

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Not with a Harris bipod, anyway. They don't make one that collapses short enough for prone shooting AND extends long enough for seated shooting. You're going to need 2 tripods to accomplish your goal with Harris. Set up in a (comfortable) prone position with bags and measure the height - that'll give you a dimension to look for, for shooting prone and on a bench. Pick a tripod with a range that your perfect height sits in the middle of. For seated shooting, get the tallest tripod Harris has (27" I believe) unless you're vertically challenged - i.e. >5'10". If that's the case, go one step down.

If you have the funds to upgrade from Harris, check out the Rugged Ridge Extreme Pod (http://www.ruggedridgeoutdoorgear.com) as they're a much better quality bipod and they sell a long extension that can be used to turn any of their prone height bipods into a seated height bipod.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Harris bipods come in 6"-9" and 9"-13". They do not make a 9"-12". You will not be able to use the 9"-13" for sitting. They do make other, taller models for sitting position.

I prefer the 9"-13" for shooting prone, but it is a personal preference, some shooters can use a 6"-9" for prone, but not me. O/P, you need to research this a bit more before you buy. I would recommend the swivel models.

Thanks guys hey, by the way, aside from Harris, what are some other solid brands of bipods to look at? The extreme Pod looks very nice, just wondering if there are other good oens too?
thanks,

Atlas is top notch. I really love mine. Granted it's slower to use bit much more versitle.

Huge following for Atlas, but they have earned it.

I'm a big Harris guy (the only thing I own actually on my rifles), but I will admit the Atlas has some nice features and engineering.

That being said, I would stick with the 9-13" option as it works well for prone shooting and some other situations. The shorter 6" is quite frankly too short usually.

I have both Atlas and Harris bipods. I have the 6-9" and the 9"-13" Harris S-BRM with Hawk Hill Claw feet. I prefer the Harris bipods. What adapter (Keymod, MLOCK, etc.) is going to depend on what rail you have. You need to match what you got..

As usual there is no one answer for all situations. The shorter versions are great for prone but absolutely cannot do sitting. The tallest version can do sitting, and can also do prone Just not ideally. So I hunt with the tallest Harris and have the shorter version for the range and dog towns.

I have 6-9 and 9-13; and find that eventually all my rifle/bipod combos end up being the 6-9.

That's mainly because nowadays my shooting is being done off the bench. For uneven ground, the longer option becomes more likely.

I had bought a handful of the cheapo 9-13 clones from Amazon for use as loaners for a club shoot that specified bipods only. They have held up fine.

I don't miss not having a swivel option. I do like the tilt option, but it's not a big necessity as long as the 'pod legs are adjustable for length. Screw tightened leg length adjusters are OK, especially for their finer adjustability. The cut notches are more secure, particularly when there are going to be longer strings of fire..

I especially like the thumb screw mounting tightener option.

Greg

Last edited:
Atlas is nice but there's a new smaller version of the LRA that's much nicer for about the same price or even a bit less. The LRA is the best, period, but it's big and expensive. Atlas is nice if you get the right one. Harris is fine unless you are invading a mountain country and plan on being there a while with no access to supplies. They are fine for lighter rifle. Get an S model so it'll swivel and be sure to buy a "Pod Lok" --it's like $11 and gives you the ability to lock the can't. Be sure to get the segmented legs too. As for attachment, get the regular stud mount. Then get a stud base for the bipod. Please don't get a good bipod and cheap out on this part. KAC, Era Tac and DD all make good Keymod mounts. I just bought the Era Tac as it was what they had. $55 yeah, but it's a damn nice part, every bit as nice as KAC.

Oh, KAC has a bipod too, has all the shit you could ask for but it's pricey.

DO NOT get counterfeit or fake shit. It hurts us all.

9-13" is the most common size, it's what's used on all my AR's that use Harris bipods. It will generally balance on the grip and bipod with loaded mag, just enough room for mag to not hit the floor. No problem prone provided you have sand, sand bags, a shooting bag --hell, there's a million ways to deal with that.

Never had a use for the long one, don't even own one. Only own two short ones, one on a .22 and one on an 11.5" SBR (which would have got a 9-13" but it's just too long).

All my future bipods will be the new Siinclair models though, the smaller version of the LRA. That's the one we've all been waiting for I think. $225, it costs as much as the cheaper Atlas but has all the perks. And will mount directly to your rifle, no mount needed.

You can get bipods that have been upgraded by various companies with their gear too. Larue comes to mind, they make a line of modified Harris bipods. If these float your boat, they are worth looking at too.

FWIW, I use an Atlas on my M110 but it's because the new Sinclair wasn't around. I'll likely swap that out, put the Atlas on a 6.5G. But I would have been happy with the right Harris too. They've never let me down, they're just not made for use on 20+ lb. rifles.

If you are looking for a rail mount get the Larue modified Harris 9-13. The 6-9 is only good on benches and manicured yards. The 13-25 is great for rolling terrain and taller vegetation. Here is a pic of Larue 9-13s and the 13-25 on a Larue adapter

get picture url