• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harris BRMS with Larue mount...review?

ForceResponse

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2011
Florence, KY
www.forceresponse.com
Looked in the archives and didn't see this info. Looking at a new mount for a Harris bipod on my Daniel Defense Literail. Anyone have a review of the Larue mount (706 LT QD) in action with the Harris swivel bipod? I'd like to know, particularly, what you may have experienced pro and con vs the American Machine or GG&G mounts. Thanks!

Re: Harris BRMS with Larue mount...review?

I DO NOT have the LT706 which is the Harris perm modified with a Larue mount.

I DO have the LT130, which is the version that doesn't modify the bi-pod. I also have an ADM bi-pod mount (AD-BP). One sits on a BRM-S and the other a LM-S.

Between the LT130 and the AD-BP the AD-BP is much smaller. As for the levers, Larue vs. ADM is a topic inunto itself and I won't go there other than saying I like them both. I kind of like the AD-BP over the LT, mostly due to the size, and it is a couple of bucks cheaper, but YMMV.

I'm the same as Zanshin. I do not have the modified bipod, but rather the bipod adapter.

I have an ARMS and a Larue pic rail adapter. Both are secure, and work fine. They do both add a bit of height, but its less than a half inch.

But if I had to do it again, I would not get either, but rather a ADM. Simply because they won't mar up the rails.

I have a couple of the Harris BRMs and one BRMS mounted on LaRue LT-130 QD mounts. They work very well. Don't really know what else to tell you, they definitely do the job. I have not had the issues with "marring" the rails using LaRue QD bipod or scope mounts that others have noted.

The only other thing worth mention might be the thumb knob employed on the Harris that is used to lock/tighten it down onto the mount. For me, this knob cannot be tightened sufficiently with thumb/forefinger to prevent it from loosening up during firing. It has an Allen socket in the center, which allows you to tighten it up a little more firmly, but it will still work loose. So I used a little blue locktite on the screw to prevent this issue.

I've got the modified bipod- it's a great set-up. Easy on, easy off.

I have the LT706 QD on my AR with the Viking freefloat forearm. Have not had it out much to give a good review, but it attaches securely without any play, and to me has less points for the bipod setup to get loose compared to having an adapter between the bipod and a 1913rail. I like it so far, and don't have any complaints.

SHARQD.jpg

LT706QD.jpg

I have two LT706 and two LT130, all with BRMS. I like the 706 so much more, than when funds permit, I will be replacing my last two LT130s with more LT706. It is such a simpler, cleaner, ligher design with less to go wrong. The bipod is much closer to the barrel, and less prone to hang up on stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looked in the archives and didn't see this info.</div></div>
There is info out there, but you have to dig around to find it. I've posted about Larue Harris + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combos" several times before but I'll answer your questions below. I bought a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo"</span></span>, and I've also bought just the LT706 Mount itself from Larue and installed them on existing Harris BRM-S (6-9" Notched Swivel) and LM-S (9-12" Notched Swivel) bipods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at a new mount for a Harris bipod on my Daniel Defense Literail. Anyone have a review of the Larue mount (706 LT QD) in action with the Harris swivel bipod? I'd like to know, particularly, what you may have experienced pro and con vs the American Machine or GG&G mounts. Thanks! </div></div>
It isn't a "review" per se', more of the nuts & bolts of the LT706 Mount. I do not own, nor have I used either the American Machine or GG & G mounts, but the LT706 is superior to the LT130 and any other mount that utilizes the bipod-to-stud interface. The LT706 Mount is superior to bipod-to-stud interfaces because it is a more direct, more solid mounting system that eliminates the bipod stud while also slightly lowering the overall height.

The LT706 Mount works great - very solid lockup and as stable as a Harris bipod is ever going to be. The LT706's tension adjustment is easily adjusted with the provided wrench. Once you have set the optimum tension, it will probably never need to be re-adjusted unless you switch the bipod to another gun that has a different spec rail. I also use some anti-seize on the engagement surfaces instead of oil.

Two cool things about the Larue "Combos" is that: (a) the "saddle"/"cradle" that the stock normally rides on is eliminated (lowering the center of gravity), and (b) the thumbscrew clamp that secures the bipod to the stud in the forearm is replaced with a QD picatinny mount.

There IS one thing that I hate about the LT706 Combos' as they come from Larue - the knob that adjusts the swivel pivot tension is huge, and theres' no room to grasp the knob to be able to turn it. Ridicolous. I use KMW Pod Locs anyway so not a problem for me, but be forwarned if you decide to by a Combo rather than purchasing the LT-706 Mounts bare. Below are some photos of an older Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo" with the factory Larue Pivot Tension Knob on the rail of my LWRC M6A2-S and a Gen 1 KMW Pod Loc. You can see that the Pod Loc provides much better access for adjustment. Check-out my post below this post for photos of the newer style Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo" attached to the ACCU-SHOT BT28 on the Anschutz Rail of my Tac Ops X-Ray 51. The newer LT706 Mount has a built-in Locking Tab.

In all fairness though, the ATLAS Bipods have a big pivot tension knob too - and it is mounted right in the crotch of the bipod and it is also a PITA to turn. That is one reason I didn't go with ATLAS'. A Harris equipped with a Pod Loc is much more easily adjusted when in position than an ATLAS is.

Below are some photos of a Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo" I bought complete from Larue installed on my LWRC M6A2-S. I now use the newer version of the LT-706 Mount with a built-in Locking Tab (not that the Locking Tab was needed), but I wanted all of my picatinny mount bipods to match so I bought five LT706 mounts and sold my Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo". I primarily mount Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo" on the quad rail of my LWRC M6A2-S and on the ACCU_SHOT BT28 AFAR on my Tac Ops X-Ray 51, but I also have LT-706 + LM-S Combos' for both of them when I need a bit more elevation (where I shoot you are almost always shooting uphill, and the more distant targets require more front elevation).

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo" as it comes from Larue w/huge Pivot Tension Knob:</span></span>
LT-70618x6.jpg

LT-706LA8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Larue LT706 w/huge Pivot Tension Knob. Notice the lack of clearance around knob:</span></span>
LT-706KnobClearance8x6.jpg

LT-706KnobClearance48x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo" with Gen 1 KMW Pod Loc in place of large Larue Knob:</span></span>
LT-706PodLocLA8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Larue LT706 w/Gen 1 KMW PodLoc. Notice that there is plenty of clearance around lever:</span></span>
LT-706Pod-LocClearance8x6.jpg

LT-706Pod-LocClearance28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo" + Gen 1 KMW Pod Loc mounted on my MRE LWRC M6A2-S:</span></span>
LT-706Pod-LoconLWRCM6A2-SMRE8x6.jpg

And anyone who has used a PodLoc knows that they are MUCH faster to use than <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> knob. Pod Locs ROCK!

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">MRE LWRC M6A2-S upper w/OD & Black UBR, OD MIAD, TD Rail Covers, Trijicon TA11 w/Larue LT-100, & LT-706 + Gen 1 KMW PodLoc:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRSRAACOG28x6.jpg

LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulLSRAACOG28x6.jpg

Check-out my post below this post for photos of the newer style Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount "Combo" attached to the ACCU-SHOT BT28 on the Anschutz Rail of my Tac Ops X-Ray 51. The newer LT706 has a built-in Locking Tab, and the Gen 2 Poc Loc it is also wearing a Gen 2 Pod Loc.

Keith

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Continued</span></span>...

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops X-Ray 51 with Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo</span></span> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">+ KMW Gen 2 Pod-Loc:</span></span>
X-Ray51BT28RSProfileFF18x6.jpg

X-Ray51BT28RS8x6.jpg

X-Ray51BT28LS8x6.jpg

HarrisBRM-SLT706ComboFRONT18x6.jpg

X-Ray51AnschutzRailBT283CC8x6.jpg

Keith

Aries64, I agree the KMW is the easiest tensioner to manipulate.

I would also like to suggest that to make adjustments to the Atlas tension knob, you grab either leg and use your thumb and index finger to increase or decrease tension. Trying to put your hand under the bipod, between the legs, to adjust the tension would be a challenge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aries64, I agree the KMW is the easiest tensioner to manipulate.

I would also like to suggest that to make adjustments to the Atlas tension knob, you grab either leg and use your thumb and index finger to increase or decrease tension. Trying to put your hand under the bipod, between the legs, to adjust the tension would be a challenge.

</div></div>
Thanks for your input Kasey. The problem is, as you said - trying to put your hand under the bipod, between the legs to adjust the tension IS a challenge. It also takes two hands and requires the shooter to shift from his or her ready shooting position and reach forward. With the Pod Loc the strong hand remains the grip to level the rifle while the weak hand adjusts the tension.

Keith

I'm sorry, I was not clear in my description.

Stay on the outside of the legs, grabbing either leg with the middle, ring and little fingers, then using the leg as leverage to adjust the tension knob.

This requires no change in position and can be done with one hand.

Thanks so much for the input, gang.

Aries64 - Really appreciate the detailed account...this is what I was after. Appreciate the tip on the LodLoc. So it's not possible to put a PodLoc on the LY706/Harris combo? Just the LT706 standalone mount?

ASM1 - Looks like you may be using the Vltor charging handle with suppressed weapons? How are they working for you with blowback? WHy not a PRI gas buster? Just curious. Also, why did you paint your gun blue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks so much for the input, gang.

ASM1 - Looks like you may be using the Vltor charging handle with suppressed weapons? How are they working for you with blowback? WHy not a PRI gas buster? Just curious. Also, why did you paint your gun blue? </div></div>

Good call! I have PRI GB on my primary AR's that I use the AAC/SD with, I do like the BCM/Vtor charge handle for the speed of operation...

Blue ? what blue lol.. Paint was Camo for the Hunt at that Time,I Cant go into it,But I will say Smurf's tast like Gargamels Cat...
</div></div>

Say no more, say no more. Wink wink. Nudge nudge.

So if I've only got one ar10 and I'm going to be running mostly suppressed, can I get by with a Vltor? Or am I gonna want to go with the GB to avoid accidental facial camo? Tax stamp is still pending, so I haven't had a chance to run it myself yet.

Sorry to hijack my own thread, but inquiring minds want to know...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks so much for the input, gang.

Aries64 - Really appreciate the detailed account...this is what I was after. Appreciate the tip on the LodLoc. So it's not possible to put a PodLoc on the LY706/Harris combo? Just the LT706 standalone mount?...</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">YOU CAN install a Pod Loc on a complete LT-706 + Harris "Combo" sold by Larue.</span> A Larue LT-706 "Combo" is the LT-706 Mount + a Harris bipod, but minus the bipod stud attachment and "saddle" that the rifle's forearm normally bears against/sits-on. It is very easy to convert Harris into a Larue "Combo".

Keith