• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harris has a self leveling bipod? WTF is this?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Before some of you have a tantrum and throw your keyboards; I do NOT like the flex on the Atlas bipods. I don't want to buy one. I don't want to consider one because you somehow like yours. Unless Kasey wants to send me one to try and change my mind about them again, you're not going to.

Was looking for a new bipod as the MK20 needs one. Looking around at the usual suspects, I came across a Harris that said it was 'self leveling'. Wait, what?

Sure enough, look at the specs and
    • Quick Deploy spring loaded self-leveling legs

So i try and find more info on this. Other than Harris' site telling you how great it is, there's not a single video or anything about how this actually works anywhere on the internet. It also leaves me with more questions than answers.

How the hell does this work?

I see it mentions 'spring loaded' so I'm guessing that someone finally figured out that the smooth leg bipods sucked royal donkey cock because while on the gun, adjusting them was fucking retarded. So does the new one just have spring tension pushing the legs out to 'hold' them there until you figure out what you want? Or can the spring load actually hold the weight of most rifles? Not sure what to think about that if that was the case, as, it might hold a 10lb rifle fine, but then you'd need to muscle the shit out of it for a 22LR weight gun, and then putting your 338LM on it would just make it bottom out like a cheap ass lift kit?

What is this witchcraft?

So the only shade I can throw on this is Harris does NOT have a website. Where are you seeing the specs for "self-leveling legs"?

So the only shade I can throw on this is Harris does NOT have a website. Where are you seeing the specs for "self-leveling legs"?

SELF-LEVELING LEGS​

Allows the shooter to quickly set up on uneven surfaces and adjust the leg height without leaving their position. Self-leveling legs are available on the BR (6-9 inch) and L (9-13 inch) bipod models. Self-leveling legs allow numerous height adjustments and just takes a simple twist of the locking mechanism to keep it in position. In order to keep the legs fully retracted or ejected the locking mechanism must be tightened. The bipod stows conveniently out of the way when not in use, folding toward the muzzle. Stowed legs are kept firmly in place by sturdy spring returns.

So it seems my idea is sort of right. But if they are spring loaded, what will they 'hold'? Since there's no notch, when you unlock the leg, you're at the mercy of how much spring tension exists. If the gun weighs a bit, its taking a nose dive.

SELF-LEVELING LEGS​

Allows the shooter to quickly set up on uneven surfaces and adjust the leg height without leaving their position. Self-leveling legs are available on the BR (6-9 inch) and L (9-13 inch) bipod models. Self-leveling legs allow numerous height adjustments and just takes a simple twist of the locking mechanism to keep it in position. In order to keep the legs fully retracted or ejected the locking mechanism must be tightened. The bipod stows conveniently out of the way when not in use, folding toward the muzzle. Stowed legs are kept firmly in place by sturdy spring returns.

So it seems my idea is sort of right. But if they are spring loaded, what will they 'hold'? Since there's no notch, when you unlock the leg, you're at the mercy of how much spring tension exists. If the gun weighs a bit, its taking a nose dive.
    They are not Harris, is why it says "This website is owned and operated by Newford Group, Inc." near the bottom of every page.

As to the no notch leg design, it is the original version. Yeah can hold the rifle up on laterally uneven ground press the lever to extend the legs out to less than the maximum length and twist the little "knob" on the leg to lock it at that length.

ETA:
    On the non notched ones, one model retracts and the other extends when you press the lever, both can lock at desired length with the knob.

Please describe this “flex” in atlas bipods. Which model have you tried?
    I picked up a set of atlas bipods in a trade the other day. They have flex in them as well. Just glancing over them, I don’t see what the overall infatuation is honestly

Last edited:
    Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
    So now youre a bipod snob? I thought you liked flexing.

Sounds like you want an accutac.

They are not Harris, is why it says "This website is owned and operated by Newford Group, Inc." near the bottom of every page.

As to the no notch leg design, it is the original version. Yeah can hold the rifle up on laterally uneven ground press the lever to extend the legs out to less than the maximum length and twist the little "knob" on the leg to lock it at that length.

ETA:
    On the non notched ones, one model retracts and the other extends when you press the lever, both can lock at desired length with the knob.

^^^this is correct.

The springs either extend or retract the legs. That's about it.
    Self leveling is using the cant feature which really needs a pod lock.

Reactions: Charlie112
    Brownells is selling them. One reviewer commented the so-called "self-leveling" feature:

"MISLEADING DESCRIPTION
    So this does not rotate as most of you might be thinking. No you can not track your target rotating on the bipod. All it does is rock to either side so that you can level your rifle. Also this model is not anything self leveling. It has friction lock legs. So when you rotate the friction leg lock the legs spring out fully extended. Then you can lock the friction or compress one or both legs for leveling purpose and then lock. I would rather have a notched leg bipod then I am sure the legs are locked where I want them. The friction lock can be over ridden with enough pressure on the legs."

I still use all of my Harris bipods. I added the Hawk Hill spiked feet. One of them broke and I managed to find a phone number for Harris and they sent me the parts to fix it. I have other bipods but as long as my Harris bipods are not broke, why replace them?

IMHO, I think that Harris didn't choose the right words to describe this model. They could have done better.

Reactions: Charlie112
    You're thinking too hard. Its just a shitty spring you can lock in place with a couple thumb screws. It "self-levels" when you tell it where to stop when you tighten the screws. As far as Harris goes, these are the shittiest ones.

I have one of those “self-leveling” Harris bipods. They were never marketed that way until recently. I sort of doubt Harris (the real Harris) is the one behind the marketing.

I like it for my slim forend wooden stocked rifles that have traditional sling studs. On the bench, only.

The ACTUAL Harris bipod company is so strange. It’s an unsolved wonder why they don’t sue the company out of existence that owns the harrisbipods.com domain for trademark infringement (or whatever).

The real Harris bipod company reminds me a bit of Arca Swiss, the photographic ballhead manufacturer that invented the Arca Swiss dovetail that we all now know of. For years and years they didn’t ever have a damn website, but they finally rectified that. Harris has now gotten them beat on obscurity.

I found that to remove wiggle, buy a bipod at (or very near) the height you plan on using it. (Caveat: will depend on leg design). Wiggle is different than flex.

In my limited experience with Atlas, LRA, and Elite Iron bipods, the less extended the legs, the less wiggle.

For example, collapsed, the LRA has less wiggle than the Atlas SCAL (both have about zero flex). But since the LRA model I own has a deep arc in it to allow the rifle to be under the leg’s apex, the legs need to be extended further than the SCAL’s for the same rifle height. So, for the way I use them, the SCAL is less wiggly than the LRA.

The EI is a unique kettle of fish and feels different. I own a panner version.

Sometimes I like a bipod’s wiggle, as it gives me a little, uh, wiggle room when I’m lining up a shot. But tend to shoot things that are alive and small and moving. But everyone is different and likes different things.

If you want really rigid bipods, those F-class things with the wingspans of seagulls would work. Or maybe not, if you value weight and compactness. I know ze German is very up to speed on stuff, in general, but if someone else isn’t you may want to check out a couple of vids from a UK bloke that looked at a wide swath of bipods here and here.

He pretty much stopped posting after covid hit. Some people don’t like his reviews. He has a different take on things compared to the whiz-bang over-produced gear-whore video-makers.

This is my experience.

Last edited:
    Yeah Harris isn't doing themselves any favors with this.

Sounds like I need to finally get something like the BR4 on the MRAD, removed the Harris from that and keep the MK20 'correct' since we're going for a clone setup with it.

Reactions: carbonbased
    Yeah Harris isn't doing themselves any favors with this.

Sounds like I need to finally get something like the BR4 on the MRAD, removed the Harris from that and keep the MK20 'correct' since we're going for a clone setup with it.
    If you have tried a call or scal you need to. The v8 and PSR are not really meant for a precision rifle and do have quite a bit of flex. The cal and scal are pretty much rock solid.

Even if atlas has touched and hurt you there are plenty of other better bipod options than a shitty ass Harris.

I'm still going to say it.
    GG&G bipods are my go to 'the shit' winners.
    You can't get one to flex.....I don't care if you're the Hulk, it ain't happenin'.
    They are rock solid and are cheaper than every other high end bipod made.
    Once I find a better solution I'll switch.
    Hasn't happened so far.

Reactions: stanley_white
    My GG&G didn’t flex, but it broke. I wasn’t using it hard, either.

iu

Reactions: Jigstick
    TBAC or bust. Had 2 accutac's and liked them but the tbac is where it's at, bro. But either are better than the poors-pod.

Reactions: ma smith
    You guys are really missing that 'this is a clone project' part.
    Sorry, were we supposed to read the other MK20 thread first? Because yeah I totally missed that detail since there was no mention of "clone project" in the original post.

If the U boat doesn’t have a decent place to rest your rifle wtf are we even doing.

Sorry, were we supposed to read the other MK20 thread first? Because yeah I totally missed that detail since there was no mention of "clone project" in the original post.

Yes.

Now run 12 laps, say 7 Hail Marys and help load 2 torpedoes as your penance.

• Haha
    Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶