• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Has anybody seen the 5 axis mill make the helmet

Mike Casselton

Team Beer and Donuts.
Minuteman
  • Nov 25, 2007
    Lithia, FL
    There is a video link on Accurate Shooter dot com. One video is just highlites and the other is a full length production. It's absolutely amazing what can be done on a programmable mill these days.

Re: Has anybody seen the 5 axis mill make the helmet

Never machined a thing in my life and I can appreciate that vid. In short........AMAZING!

One of the 5 axis mills where I work has 480 inches of travel in one direction and a 80 tool changer. Think of what you could do with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stiggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the 5 axis mills where I work has 480 inches of travel in one direction and a 80 tool changer. <span style="color: #FF0000">Think of what you could do with that</span>. </div></div>

crash 80 tools?
    grin.gif

Wonder what the run time on the entire piece was. Watched it a few times thats just amazing.

Old vid, but still very cool.

The big gantry multi axis setups are pretty neat.

Machines a block of solid clay into a car body. . .

Just takes the $$$$$$$$$$$

Good machine, but most of the wizardy behind that vid was having an awesome 5 axis post-processor, allowing you to get the max from your $250,000 machine

Boeing just installed a huge mill , 7 axis or some craziness for the new space capsule (Orion) it's HUGE !! Made by Ingersoll and was somthing like 25 million. I'll see if I van sneak in its enclosure and get some pics

Has to use precision ballanced tools due to the high RPM and tolerances

What's realy cool is watching "friction stir" welding

I havent seen them weld anything but aluminum yet but it's pretty cool , very little heat at all , no welding wire , no arc.

Supposedly they can fuse brass to steel not sure if I believe that but who knows.
    The new space capsule is supposedly going to be 90% friction stir welded , they finally worked out the kinks with the lithium/aluminum alloy

FYI, Inertia friction and Friction stir welding are two different types of welding....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I havent seen them weld anything but aluminum yet but it's pretty cool , very little heat at all , no welding wire , no arc. <span style="color: #FF0000">Very little heat because the parent material isn't melted, only taken to a "plastic state"</span>

Supposedly they can fuse brass to steel not sure if I believe that but who knows.

<span style="color: #FF0000">They can, via inertia friction, but dissimilar metals typically form a brittle interlayer between the two base materials..</span>

The new space capsule is supposedly going to be 90% friction stir welded , they finally worked out the kinks with the lithium/aluminum alloy
    </div></div>

I really miss my old job. I used to be a CNC Machinist. I didnt get to work on the cool 4 and 5 axis machines but I got to watch them work a lot and they were insanely cool. We had one that ran one part a day and all the inserts and bits on the machine had to be changed after each run, over 50 of them. It was a 5 or 7 axis Mazak.

Amazing video, it's so cool that all the axes can work together with such precise timing! We had an old CNC mill that we got when I was a high-school senior, I got to use it a few times to make a few parts for a robotics competition.

John Browning would shit if he saw that.
    Im suprised they didnt use cooling fluid.

I must say "I Want One".

Not that I could run it once I got it, but Damn that would be awesome to have!!!