• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone actually had a polymer mag fail on them?

I have several AICS .223 polymer mags, both MDT and AI. One of the AI mags does not feed well, but the others have worked fine in 3 different platforms. I believe it is a follower problem more than a magazine failure.

Magpul mags dont work well with Remington 700 actions. You can lift the mag with a pink finger and the bolt will hit the feedlips and stop. No amount of filing can fix it if you want the feed lips to retain rounds. When they hang freely they feed great.

They work perfectly in a Curtis Axiom after a few swipes of a file even with the rifle resting kn the mag. Accurate mags work perfectly in both actions right out the box. No binding even with pressure on the mag.

I like pmags if they work with the action as they do feed smoothly. Its also a plus that the five round mag will hold six once you cut off the little tab on bottom of the follower. I havent used a 10round pmag.

Magpul mags dont work well with Remington 700 actions. You can lift the mag with a pink finger and the bolt will hit the feedlips and stop. No amount of filing can fix it if you want the feed lips to retain rounds. When they hang freely they feed great.

They work perfectly in a Curtis Axiom after a few swipes of a file even with the rifle resting kn the mag. Accurate mags work perfectly in both actions right out the box. No binding even with pressure on the mag.

I like pmags if they work with the action as they do feed smoothly. Its also a plus that the five round mag will hold six once you cut off the little tab on bottom of the follower. I havent used a 10round pmag.

I’d beg to differ. I have a trued 700 that I feed w/ Magpul AICS mags & it runs like a champ. I’ve never had any issues related to feeding the action. Period.

Reactions: PDXGS
I’ve had some Lancer mags that have not seated in several of my ARs unless theywere down-loaded by several rounds regardless of how hard I seated them.

I’ve had some Lancer mags that have not seated in several of my ARs unless theywere down-loaded by several rounds regardless of how hard I seated them.
Did you not read the thread? Or did you just shit in a thread I just cleaned up of non-AICS mag postings?!?!

FFS...

The one time I was lent a magpul aics mag to try out, I was hastily getting into prone, set my gun down with some force and bolt open. Rounds shot out if my reciever, I haven't used one since.

I’d beg to differ. I have a trued 700 that I feed w/ Magpul AICS mags & it runs like a champ. I’ve never had any issues related to feeding the action. Period.
Insert a mag and put it in your rifle. It can be empty. Push up on the mag by hand or set the rifle on the mag and try and cycle the bolt. It doesn’t take much. A pinky finger lifting the mag is all it takes. They over insert on 700 actions badly. Report back your findings. On a range gun it’s a non issue. My old man missed a shot on some pigs because his mag was touching something when he tried to chamber a round.

If I’m wrong then I am wrong. Maybe some 700 actions are different than all the ones I’ve seen. If yours works then that’s a good thing. Let me know.

I may run ease over to my old man’s house today and grab his 5R and a pmag and snap some photos. I sold all mine.

Last edited:
Insert a mag and put it in your rifle. It can be empty. Push up on the mag by hand or set the rifle on the mag and try and cycle the bolt. They over insert on 700 actions badly. Report back your findings.

If I’m wrong then I am wrong. Maybe some 700 actions are different than all the ones I’ve seen. If yours works then that’s a good thing.

I may run ease over to my old man’s house today and grab his 5R and a pmag and snap some photos. I sold all mine.
As stated before, it has nothing to do with the action, and everything to do with how the action mates with the stock/chassis, and how high the stock/chassis presents the mag to the bolt face. This is why some mags (different manufacturers locate the mag latch protrusion slightly different from other manufacturers) work with some stock/chassis (different lengths of mag latches between manufacturers), and some combinations don’t work well. Tolerance stacking.

As stated before, it has nothing to do with the action, and everything to do with how the action mates with the stock/chassis, and how high the stock/chassis presents the mag to the bolt face. This why some mags (different manufacturers locate the mag latch protrusion slightly different from other manufacturers) work with some stock/chassis (different lengths of mag latches between manufacturers), and some combinations don’t work well. Tolerance stacking.
That would be the case with the mag resting on the magazine catch, but DBM do not limit upwards travel of the mags. The action does.

Edit: my grayboe DBM does limit the upwards movement. There is about a 1/4 inch of play from resting on the latch and max upwards travel.

Last edited:
That would be the case when resting on the magazine catch, but DBM do not limit upwards travel of the mags. The action does.

No fucking shit. What the fuck did I just say? This is a simple spatial relationship problem between the mag, the action (the inletting of the chassis specifically) and the length of the mag latch. The action type doesn’t mean dick, in so far as it being a 700 or not. The LOCATION of the action matters (depth wise in the chassis/stock).

This isn’t that hard to understand. Or maybe it is for those who can’t grasp simple mechanical spatial movements. FFS...

Reactions: Austinjunks
2941E7E8-DBFF-4F2A-99A5-2AB4CA55D686.gif

Hey yall. Is this the Tapco thread??

No fucking shit. What the fuck did I just say? This is a simple spatial relationship problem between the mag, the action (the inletting of the chassis specifically) and the length of the mag latch. The action type doesn’t mean dick, in so far as it being a 700 or not. The LOCATION of the action matters (depth wise in the chassis/stock).

This isn’t that hard to understand. Or maybe it is for those who can’t grasp simple mechanical spatial movements. FFS...
You should have quoted my whole post where I made note. I have seen some dbm to where the whole mag can push through. The grayboe i have allows roughly 1/4” of movement. Still too much. Dang

i’m curious to what the member with a 700 replies back with.

edit: i have a an extra DBM and took some photos with the mag resting on the latch and pushed up. The action in relation to the mag at rest determines if it feeds well. Too low and the bolt rides over. Too high and it can bind. The action itself limits upwards movement of the mag. I did have a pmag left and used it in the photos.

Attachments

• BB15D3FA-FD0D-4DAC-9918-9A2ACEF62471.jpeg
    BB15D3FA-FD0D-4DAC-9918-9A2ACEF62471.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 45237E2D-9B6D-48F5-AF18-642E9244492E.jpeg
    45237E2D-9B6D-48F5-AF18-642E9244492E.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
You should have quoted my whole post where I made note. I have seen some dbm to where the whole mag can push through. The grayboe i have allows roughly 1/4” of movement. Still too much. Dang

i’m curious to what the member with a 700 replies back with.
First off, I did quote all of your post. Before you edited it. Your note was added while I was responding.

Second, my 700 feeds fine with AICS. Mainly because it sat in a JAE 700, which allows adjusting the mag location in all three axis. It is the genius of the JAE design, and the only thing close is the KRG system which accomplishes it's adjustments in two dimensions (and from the other end of the mag well). If @Massoud and crew ever figure out a clever adjustable mag latch they would be the only ones who could compete. I can think of one now that would be pretty unique...

Again, it's the variances between components that make a mag have issues, or be or not be smooth. Spatially, all the chassis does is hold the action in the correct location (in theory) to the magazine. If the magazine latch location changes, then it skews the model. If the inletting is off, it skews the model. If the action, externally, has a 700 footprint, but internally is different (location/angle of the feed ramp), then it skews the model. It's all inter-relational, and is why gunsmiths get paid to build guns that feed (the hardest part of a firearm to design) flawlessly.

Last edited:
First off, I did quote all of your post. Before you edited it. Your note was added while I was responding.

Second, my 700 feeds fine with AICS. Mainly because it sat it a JAE 700, which allows adjusting the mag location in all three dimensions. It is the genius of the JAE design, and the only thing close is the KRG system which accomplishes it's adjustments in two dimensions. If @Massoud and crew ever figure out a clever adjustable mag latch they would be the only ones who could compete.

Again, it's the variances between components that make a mag have issues, or be or not be smooth. Spatially, all the chassis does is hold the action in the correct location (in theory) to the magazine. If the magazine latch location changes, then it skews the model. If the inletting is off, it skews the model. If the action, externally, has a 700 footprint, but internally is different (location/angle of the feed ramp), then it skews the model. It's all inter-relational, and is why gunsmiths get paid to build guns that feed (the hardest part of a firearm to design) flawlessly.
We were arguing the same thing. Lol

700 rifles feed great with AI mags. You coukd sit on the rifle and cycle the action with Accurate and AI mags inserted. The few samples I had would not work well with pmags which is what the thread is about. They would work great at rest but if anything touches the mag they bind badly. The feedlips themselves protrude too far inside the action to where the bolt physically cannot close. Now with a three way adjustable chassis that may can be fixed. With a stock and dbm (I tried three different DBM and two stocks) and a chassis that cant be adjusted to limit upward travel I cant see them working. Hopefully @WATERWALKER chimes in or someone else that has a 700 and pmags and can verify that they will or wont work in their rifle when upwards pressure is applied to the mag or when the weight of the rifle is resting on the mag.

We were arguing the same thing. Lol

700 rifles feed great with AI mags. You coukd sit on the rifle and cycle the action with Accurate and AI mags inserted. The few samples I had would not work well with pmags which is what the thread is about. They would work great at rest but if anything touches the mag they bind badly. The feedlips themselves protrude too far inside the action to where the bolt physically cannot close. Now with a three way adjustable chassis that may can be fixed. With a stock and dbm (I tried three different DBM and two stocks) and a chassis that cant be adjusted to limit upward travel I cant see them working. Hopefully @WATERWALKER chimes in or someone else that has a 700 and pmags and can verify that they will or wont work in their rifle when upwards pressure is applied to the mag or when the weight of the rifle is resting on the mag.

You'd likely need a shorter mag latch for the PMags (as said, they have thicker lips).

I tried this different ways in the past few minutes & I’ve got slightly different answers. If I suspend the rifle in the air, holding it by the PMAG only & run the bolt it will bind.

Here’s another variation: if I hook the stock (A5) in the armpit w/ say 1/2 of that same pressure & run the bolt it runs great. It runs 100% in this fashion.

I’ve shot a couple comps w/ this rifle / mag combo & it’s been flawless in this respect. Having the mag sandwiched into bags / obstacles & I’ve experienced no issues whatsoever.

The takeaway from this is that you can set up the action / mag combo to fail if that is your intention. Under normal circumstances, to include shooting comps, it runs very well. I’m not going to lose sleep sweating over the gun’s reliability to feed through Pmags under any conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarinePMI
Here are some shitty photos. With a pmag installed and with an AI installed in a remington 700. The ai mag never touches the bolt. Wont even rub it. The pmags feedlips wont when suspended like @WATERWALKER explained but absolutely will dead stop the bolt with upwards pressure. Very little. The action itself limits upwards travel of the mag. A lower latch would only cause bolt ride over when hanging and would still bind with pressure applied. It would likely be impossible to take off enough material from a pmag and allow it to work with a 700 in all conditions. The feedlips would no longer hold the rounds inside the magazine.

This may sway someones decision. Others it won’t matter. Pmags arent much cheaper. You can buy Ruger branded Accurate magazines for just over $40 and the 10 rounders for $50.
What about other brands of plastic mags WATERWALMER. Do you have any to try?

Attachments

• 814C035F-6B6A-4C1B-A831-9C4C15D0FEF4.jpeg
    814C035F-6B6A-4C1B-A831-9C4C15D0FEF4.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 04AAF3FC-A96A-4BFA-AB54-132F197437C2.jpeg
    04AAF3FC-A96A-4BFA-AB54-132F197437C2.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 9CE138F0-31F8-4F5A-8A12-04F865529885.jpeg
    9CE138F0-31F8-4F5A-8A12-04F865529885.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 254582A9-6FA9-45BC-8419-22001FC60DA0.jpeg
    254582A9-6FA9-45BC-8419-22001FC60DA0.jpeg