• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone been shot at while hunting?

Friends went on a qual trip to Argentina early 2000’s. Was for the hunt as much as the accompanying companions you hire.

Because they were new to qual hunts, when the action started the guide poked some extended poles in the ground real fast to give them fields of fire.

If they tried to swing too far the shotgun hit the pole.

Pretty smart idea.
The pope trick sounds like a good idea. Wish I would have thought of that for some of the morons I've duck hunted around.

Sitting on a shoreline one time and a single came through from left to right about three feet off the water at Mach speed, no intention of working decoys, he was just passing through.

Four of us sitting there I'm on the end of the line, if it's anybodies bird it's mine. Before I could shoulder my gun I see a muzzle in the peripheral of my left eye then a loud pop followed by severe ringing in my left ear. Man I was pissed. And the loser missed the bird.

Big group dove hunts are fun if you've ever done a day hunt. I usually just hang towards the back and watch the show.

Been hunting for at least twenty years, often around many other hunters. Never had any shoot at me or near me to the point I was uncomfortable. I see this thread is from 2022. I hope you are getting geared up for the 2023 season. Don't let that experience spook you--based on your account, I am skeptical that anyone was trying to hurt you

This year my buddy and I (Colorado LEO Sergeant) had a couple bullets whiz very close to us here in Wyoming. No sooner did I notice, but my buddy said “hey did you hear that? I think those went right over our us”…. Neither of us got very excited about it. I guess it’s kind of like lightning. If you hear the thunder it’s already old news.

We looked and some folks down the high Prairie were shooting at antelope and did not see us. I carry a small flashlight with a super bright strobe for just that reason and set it off in their direction. They saw us then. We were quite prepared to return fire if they did it again.

Normally I will “pop” other hunters with the strobe preemptively but we had not seen them either.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Been hunting for at least twenty years, often around many other hunters. Never had any shoot at me or near me to the point I was uncomfortable. I see this thread is from 2022. I hope you are getting geared up for the 2023 season. Don't let that experience spook you--based on your account, I am skeptical that anyone was trying to hurt you

I'm definitely going to be hunting again, just probably in a different area.

My buddy was hunting in my farm and some jackass (trespasser) put a round so close to him that it left a burn mark on his neck. He was wearing a blaze orange body suit!!!

Had a couple of experiences when I was a kid.

The more scary one was when I was hunting deer with my dad at about 15 years old. We were graciously taken by a neighbor to his grandmother's land, but the catch was that the neighbor's brother and his two fatass kids (plus their friends) about my age were there too.

The neighbor and his brother were both making fun of the one fatass kid because he fired 19 rounds the day before and never cut a hair. I would soon find out why as we found ourselves on the opposite sides of a draw about 200 yards apart. I had just said to my dad that we'd never see anything with this many hunters...when two does ran up almost 15 yards from me, panting like mad. They'd been ran so hard they never saw us.

Fatass and his buddy saw them too, and I watched him yank up his rifle towards us. Dad yelled for me to duck and the kid promptly buried a round into the ground between us and the deer, sending the deer running along the draw. Fatass sent another round towards us, but was further away at least. He must have shot 10 feet behind the deer.

Dad was asking me if I was okay when we heard fatass's dad yell "don't shoot, don't shoot!" Fatass let fly again and literally hit the tree that his dad was sitting under. With the string of cuss words coming from his dad, fatass and his buddy quickly packed up and tried to disappear over the top of the draw.

Fatass took a whipping from his dad, and their hunt was over. We stayed out with our neighbor for another couple hours, but never saw anything afterward.

That was the last time we went hunting with our neighbor.

I've been yelled at while hunting. It's illegal to harass hunters in Oregon. I consider it a poor practice to yell at armed people in the middle of nowhere. But hey I was raised to be polite to all people, until I need to be more assertive.

I've been yelled at while hunting. It's illegal to harass hunters in Oregon. I consider it a poor practice to yell at armed people in the middle of nowhere. But hey I was raised to be polite to all people, until I need to be more assertive.
I think being yelled at after nearly shooting someone is polite compared to them returning fire. Did you read the thread title or any if the posts?

• Haha
Reactions: xsn10s
I think being yelled at after nearly shooting someone is polite compared to them returning fire. Did you read the thread title or any if the posts?
LOL okay well I didn't shoot at anyone so they had no reason to yell at me. My point is when you're out in the woods you don't know who you'll come across. I've found burned out meth labs, homeless encampments, gang bangers target shooting, and anti hunters who just want to harass hunters. There have been logging agents killed out where I hunted/ scouted. The OP could have had some target shooters spraying rounds haphazardly or been targeted. We don't know. What I do know is that anything can happen out there, just like in the city. I always have a firearm with me out in the woods regardless if I'm hunting or not. Head on a swivel for animals of all kinds.

Anti-hunters can be charged with several crimes in my state.

Section 578.152 - Interference with lawful hunting, fishing or trapping in the second degree — penalty.​

Harassing wildlife is my favorite one, because it drives them fucking insane to be charged with it when their stated purpose is to "save" the animals.

If they do anything else they'll be charged as well. Nothing is a felony, but repeat offenders can be jailed. I've never heard of it happening here, but I'm sure it does. If I ran into this I'd be on the horn to the local police and then I'd get an agent out there rather than confronting them. From what I've seen on the vidyas and TV these people are proud of it and will readily admit to their crimes.

Anti-hunters can be charged with several crimes in my state.

Section 578.152 - Interference with lawful hunting, fishing or trapping in the second degree — penalty.​

Harassing wildlife is my favorite one, because it drives them fucking insane to be charged with it when their stated purpose is to "save" the animals.

If they do anything else they'll be charged as well. Nothing is a felony, but repeat offenders can be jailed. I've never heard of it happening here, but I'm sure it does. If I ran into this I'd be on the horn to the local police and then I'd get an agent out there rather than confronting them. From what I've seen on the vidyas and TV these people are proud of it and will readily admit to their crimes.
Yup it's against the law to harass hunters in my state too. I could of drove to town and reported it but I just continued to hunt. I was shooting chucks so I didn't want to leave. Nowadays I wonder if the courts would even do anything. We don't enforce laws like we did before.

Reactions: Nivium
I agree it's rolling dice with the courts, but I'm sure the cops and conservation agents would readily arrest.
I'd say yes the problem is logistics and my priority at the time. I wanted to concentrate on the hunt and not escalate the situation. So I didn't leave cover to get closer to his rig for pictures. He whined and didn't try to get closer. After about 5 minutes and threatening to call the police he left. I hunted that spot for an hour and after the chucks and rats got wise we left. If I was hunting big game I would have been be more incline to get pictures and go to town to report it.
Edit: Another issue is time. In town I've had to wait forty minutes for someone to show up. Out in the woods it could be hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig
I totally didn't mean it that way. I'm not criticizing at all. That's the last kind of bullshit I want to deal with when I'm having alone time in the woods killing things. If anything you were remarkably restrained. I would have probably made threats and been guilty of brandishing at least, but most likely I would have just started shooting the fuck out of his car.
Boom! Oops! Missed! Are you going get the fuck out of here fast? Oh, there's another one! Boom! Shit, sorry about that. Shall I continue?

Gob and a bunch of years ago.

A friend of mine was sitting in his pickup during deer season.

A bullet came through the windshield, ricochet off the steering wheel and caught him in the mouth.

Four lost teeth and a really big fat lip.

Other than that ok, one lucky sumbitch.

Being the dicks we were (young) once we found out he was gonna live, flipped him shit about running around with married women.

Closest I ever came was pellets on the roof of the house.

Out of state turkey hunters shooting over the hill above our house.

By the time I got to em I had a pretty good mad worked up.

My youngest learned a bunch of words he was never allowed to say in front of his momma

Reactions: Ronws
I totally didn't mean it that way. I'm not criticizing at all. That's the last kind of bullshit I want to deal with when I'm having alone time in the woods killing things. If anything you were remarkably restrained. I would have probably made threats and been guilty of brandishing at least, but most likely I would have just started shooting the fuck out of his car.
Boom! Oops! Missed! Are you going get the fuck out of here fast? Oh, there's another one! Boom! Shit, sorry about that. Shall I continue?
Oh I didn't take it as criticism buddy. I just said what I did at the time. We all can get mad easily, I'm guilty as well. But when firearms are in the area I try to be more restrained. It's just part of it for me. I've seen different things in my years so I try to pick my battles. Ken Good once said in a LEO Survival course that is shouldn't be called Officer Survival. It should be called Officer Prevailing Course. I think that applies to all of us.