• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Has Anyone Else Seen This on Burris XTR's?

DeepEastKilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
S/E Minnesota
www.youtube.com
I posted a video about this problem back when I was putting together the gun for my buddy. It made me scratch my head at the time and now that I'm remembering it again it still has me wondering. Why would they change the design? I feel more likely that it was just an assembly issue on their part, but the cross-bolt is staked to prevent disassembly so I couldn't flip anything around.

Anyway, not really an issue, especially for this particular application, but I gotta wonder what the deal is with these. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOQ0v7gnEOE

Scopes react to recoil by moving forward (initially), so the flat counteracts that being towards the front. If you grab your scope and pull it towards the muzzle (like what would happen during recoil (initially) ), it hits the flat portion of the cross pin like it should.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I fully understand the reasoning for the milled cross section. As I state in the video I am merely wondering why they would seemingly reverse the positioning of the nut on this particular set of rings. I have used XTR's as well as many other rings and the nut is always on the left. Especially because I have another pair of XTR's that are "normal" it makes me wonder why they changed it.

Sorry, when I first looked, they appeared the same as the sets I own. I PM'ed you an email address for a Burris contact. You have an anomaly. He told me he would send it to their QC department and get taken care of ASAP. If you send him your address, he will overnight you a new set of rings. He will be back stateside Thursday, so should have them by the weekend. Hope this helps. RJ

Sorry, when I first looked, they appeared the same as the sets I own. I PM'ed you an email address for a Burris contact. You have an anomaly. He told me he would send it to their QC department and get taken care of ASAP. If you send him your address, he will overnight you a new set of rings. He will be back stateside Thursday, so should have them by the weekend. Hope this helps. RJ

Wow, thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I am not in possession of the setup anymore And knowing the owner, I dont think he would care to do anything about it. The rings do work fine for their intended purpose on his 700$ + PCP Airgun, but they were modified to make them work. I recommended the XTR's as I have used them in the past, but without having his rifle at the time we didn't realize the narrow length of area to mount the front ring. At the end of the day, he just wanted a working gun so he had me mill down the length of the ring to fit the rifle. Like I said, the rings DO seem to be doing the trick for him even though they were a bit weird. I guess the response from Burris answers our questions as to whether or not it was an intentional change! Thanks Quickdraw!

You can knock that crossbolt out of the ring, reposition it correctly and then knock the bolt back in. It will fully seat as you tighten the crossbolt.

I was thinking about this too. Both sets I got have it the same way.
Eventually I'll try to knock the crossbolts out and seat it reverse to use larger friction surfaces, thanks.
(Needless to say with proper torque settings I noticed no shift anyway.)

Out of curiosity, check country of origin of your old xtr rings vs new. These are no longer made in Greeley, CO. I've used the older version (made in Greeley) on several guns, without issue. Have only had a problem with 1 pair, and as it turned out, they were made in China.

Yup, A ring I really started liking, strong, 6 screw, Burris, but I guess they outsourced to China, as every set I ordered had a little sticker "Made in China" Needless to say I will pay the extra to have Seekins on all my builds (or NF/Badger) but I love the Seekins, and the Customer service. I'm not gonna have a $3500 build, with a set of China rings on em. Japan.... that's a different story especially in optics.
Shame you Burris