• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Has anyone opened up a barrel channel?

Undrgrndprdcts

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Specifically on a McMillan stock? How long does it take? Is .100" on the diameter a lot to remove?

Not too bad. I used a deep socket and 40 grit sandpaper.
barrel channel.jpg

I did it with sandpaper and just kept tightening the action and barrel down to ensure i got the clearance needed on my rifle

I did a Manners carbon fiber stock with a closet rod dowel wrapped in sandpaper- it came out really well and I just used a black sharpie to make the sanded areas look the same as the rest of the barrel channel.

Are you guys opening them up the same ID all the way through or tapering them. I used a dremel on my grayboe stock and contoured it to fit the heavy palma profile pretty dang nicely.

While we are at it, what is the thinnest forend you would use for a bartlein 3b or Krieger #5 ish contour?

I opened up mine after it failed the dollar bill test.. ran a dollar bill down the length of the barrel and it kept hanging up in a couple of spots.. I took the barreled action out and wrapped 60 grit sandpaper around a 7/8" dowel.. finished it up with 220 until nice and smooth.. a little matte black spray paint and finished the job up.. looks factory, and now the barrel is completely free floated.. all said and done, it took about an hour..

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
60 grit sheet of sand paper with the barrel in stock and just let the sand paper wrapped under the barrel face down and then grab the ends of the sand paper and work it back and forth. This will give you very good results so your stock matches the contour of your barrel.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts