• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Has anyone seen this before on there brass?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I was about to purchase an Anschutz 900 in 222. rem and i got a chance to shoot it first. i bought a box of winchester superx 50 grain soft point just to test the rifle to make sure everything worked well. to start it cycled flawlessly of course, and it shot superbly but then i saw the brass. I fired 9 rounds for 3 differen't 3 shot groups and all 9 pieces of brass came out like this!

i have never seen anything like it or why it would be doing this. Is the chamber messed up, its like it expanded larger then it should! it also made me wonder if it would cause case head separation. im going to show a gunsmith it as well to see what he thinks. Brass isn't the easiest to come by so i dont want it being under too much stress that its being wasted!

Looks like the reamer used was ground on the high end of the tolerance. Sometimes a different brand of brass will fit the chamber better.

Regards, Paul

Problem is from he bottom of the brass I took a measurement, and then I took one at the line and just above it and it expanded more then I would think it should. I started thinking someone messed with the chamber?

Looks like someone went after the chamber with a dowel and piece of sandpaper. It also lools like you have a major headspace problem unless the cases aren't lined up evenly.

May have had a couple of case head separations and they were trying to sand out the groove left int he side of he chamber.

Regardless, mic the brass and compare it with a SAAMI drawing for maximum dimensions at the various points called out. Better yet, make a cast of the chamber with Cerrosafe. It melts like M&M's so you don't need any special equipment to make the cast. Just follow instructions and don't pour the chamber so full it fills the bolt lug area.

If the dimensions don't exceed max then some polishing is in order. I'd start with a large bore mop and some J-B Bore Bright to see if you can polish down the scratches. Install the bore mop on a length of GI cleaning rod and chuck it in a cordless drill. Move the mop in and out as your "polish". You may have to have the barrel set back and rechambered to fix this if the chamber dimensions are oversized..

If the fired cases are that much longer than the unfired you shouldn't shoot it again until you have the headspace checked. A case head separation with that much headspace could really leave a mark (or remove an eye).

Last edited:
If you haven't already bought the rifle, I would walk away from this one. You will probably just be buying someone else's headache.

Are you sure that the gun is not a 222 mag and you fired regular 222 out of it? Because 222 mag is .150 longer than 222.

The barrel is stamped 222 not 222 rem mag.
Also I'm the brass wasn't any longer just wider

I'm not familiar with the Anschutz 900, but you may want to check if the barrel can even be set back. Some of the Anschutz rifles (even the centerfire ones) have pressed and pinned barrels. That'd be the deal breaker for me.