• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone seen this before

Re: Has anyone seen this before

Remington barrels are hammerforged. I don't think they are cut. If I've got it right, they use a bank of hammers to pound a chunk of steel over a mandrel.

Wow this turned it to a huge thread and no I am not bashing bashing on Remington nor do I think you should gunner posted better pics for the guys that think its fake I posted this because I am new to the long range game bought the rifle and found this I had shot a couple of matches with a buddy's gun and from what I was told I shot good so I wanted to buy and set up a match gun my self I know I am a newbie

Another vote to shoot it, strap it down and let it print a group.

I would want it fixed if it were mine but at the same time I would want to chop the barrel in half and keep it... you know Remington wont just give it back to you tho. They wouldnt like you showing off their screw up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 79_z28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow this turned it to a huge thread, and no I am not bashing bashing on Remington. Nor do I think you should.

Gunner posted better pics for the guys that think its fake.
I posted this because I am new to the long range game, bought the rifle and found this.

I had shot a couple of matches with a buddy's gun. From what I was told, I shot good. So, I wanted to buy and set up a match gun my self.
I know I am a newbie </div></div>

Whew, you went on a rant that was hard to follow. I think I fixed it for you.

I am not an expert on hammer forging, but if I had to guess, I would say that the mandrel didn't release cleanly and was dragged out of the barrel, leaving marks. Or possibly the barrel moved during the hammering. Not really sure.

How ever it happpened you ended up with unwanted tool marks across your rifling. You barrel will foul more, heat up fast and impart a shitty singnature in you bullet jackets. You may print a few nice groups at 100 yards but it will never perform as consistant as it should or group well at further distances. If remmy wont make it right then have a quality gunsmith rebarrel it. Just my 2 cents.