• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone shot the AMP DSR 1 police rifle

Thud

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    A friend of mine hase his sights set on this thing. Trying to talk him out of it. Any of you shot it or have an opinion on it. Let me know. TIA Lew

Re: Has anyone shot the AMP DSR 1 police rifle

Shoot one briefly a few years ago at Rifles Only. Nice but action seemed stiff to me. They are pretty damned expensive. Tell him to save some money and look at the DTA rifles http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/

As I understand it, the DTA SRS design is based on those things. Except lighter weight, better ergos, and US made. Does away with the unnecessary second mag well for starters. More composite instead of alu for less weight.

They're nifty and all, but I agree with Rob01, just get a DTA

Tell him to use all the money he saves on a better scope, a can, some ammo, and a tactical rifle class... then take his girl on a vacation with what is still left over (aren't those things like $10K?)

I've shot one. They're very accurate. The bipod sucks.

Your friend may be interested in buying one for the same reason some people buy a Rolex - to prove to others that they have a lot of money by buying something expensive and relatively rare. That's fine, if that's what he's about - it's his money.

Like the other respondents in this thread, if he wants that because he likes that style of rifle, I'd say go with Desert Tactical.

I have a DSR-1 for sale, there are only six of them in the USA, mine is 338LM. If your friend is serious have him call me. 801-792-6853.

By the way price is $20,000 if he is interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a DSR-1 for sale, there are only six of them in the USA, mine is 338LM. If your friend is serious have him call me. 801-792-6853.

By the way price is $20,000 if he is interested. </div></div> would you mind posting some pics? I think those things are quite attractive imo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a DSR-1 for sale, there are only six of them in the USA, mine is 338LM. If your friend is serious have him call me. 801-792-6853.
    </div></div>

I know that two of them got pulled from under a motel mattress a couple of years ago, so that accounts for three of them (and a .408 EDM). A .308 and a .338, IIRC, stolen from the same owner.

I have used one quite a bit. Good system when the owners coupled it with $12K Hensoldt/Zeiss optics. It cost more than my truck, though. It's a nice truck, too.

Had a go with one this weekend in .338 LM, only fired 10 or 11 shots, system felt solid, barrel profile was HUGE so precision shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I didn't get that feel of becoming "one with the rifle" perhaps its a bit bulky for my taste compared to the competition, altough this is one's a bulpup and having the huge benefit of being a switch barrel between .338LM/.308W, which is a huge advantage. Rifle was equipped with Hensoldt 6-24x72.

Here's two short flicks when we're pelting steel at 840 meters;

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/llxHPeSIC8s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/llxHPeSIC8s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hb2FfjfacWo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hb2FfjfacWo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I could think of a few best-of-breed rifles to get in place of one $20K collector's item. If you are a collector, that is one thing. If you are looking for a great gun to shoot.....what a waste of cash.

^^ I was expecting to hear hits on the steel (e.g. ping or thud) especially with a 338lm. What kind of steel were you shooting at?

I think it was Hardox 400, hits could be heard loud and clear, even when firing my AW at 1005 meters, but in these vids theres to much talking going on to distinguish the impact I guess..