• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

has anyone used a monopod???

Re: has anyone used a monopod???

Great for prone on flat ground (or bench) if you have plenty of time for your shot. You can make really fine adjustments. Easily put on and well made. Not so great for hunting or rapid engagement.

As stated above, it depends on your intended use. I have two Atlas monopods that work great on those rifles, but I use a TAB bag for another rifle. Stay away from Muley Pods, Atlas is the way, if you choose to get one.

i'm with the above too, quicker and easier to use a pack or a fist in a rapid engagement or hunting scenario. great to use off the bench or prone at the target range. the only thing they are really usefull for hunting is to keep your stock out of the slop.

got 2 of those muley pods mentioned above, they are a waste as they are not that solid and the way it attaches is just retarded.

a rear bag, a ziplock filled with airsoft pellets, a tennis ball, learning to prop up with your fist, a sock filled with airsoft pellets, using a backpack, etc. are probably the better way to go for hunting - quicker to adjust, and although as not rock solid or precisely set as a accushot monopod, it serves the same function.

Use them and love'em! I am BIASED!

Regarding rapid engagements, we will soon have video of how to do it with our monopods.

Fact, a monopod is a required element of the current Precision Sniper Rifle solicitation for Uncle Sam. These rifle will be used in the field to engage both stationary and moving targets.

Tab bag. Squeeze with off-hand to adjust. Simpler= better

the plaster varmint has a built in monopod screw in the butt and i find i use it more often than not. i like that its always on the rifle when i need it whereas remembering and packing a pinchbag for me is a pipedream.

Just purchased one for my AI about a month ago and I absolutely love it I have been working at my 1K shooting and my score have improved substantially. Be sure and get the hard cap and the quick adjust options.

I bought an accushot monopod to try out, now have them on all of my rifles. you cna always leave it folded and stuff a bag under it if you need to.

AccuShot monopod on my AICS, DTA monopod on SRS. Love them!

I have a monopod.

Its not bad, and offers a very solid platform.

When im at the range, I prefer a bag but I have used a monopod in the field with much success.

They make your rifle look cool for picture day, after the picture, I sold it and just use a bag, for reasons already stated.
I hope that answers your question.
SScott
Rem5RBlkAICS.jpg

Used an accushot for a few month and didn't like it. Went back to the bag. If you are interested in it, send me a PM. It's the quick adjust for a stud mount

I was a bag guy for years I went off the deep end and purchased a accushot monopod with the quick set and I have to say I love it. It also helps with the wear on your lower stock and the bottom of your recoil pad.

I have two of the AccuShot monopods and I recommend using them if you're a precision shooter.

I have several of the accu-shot monopods. About a year ago I took it off the rifle I was shooting (AICS) and went to rear bags. Recently as work up for going to rifles only I put it back on. There is just too much wobble in the folding mechanism. While I found I was able to steady this by apply pressure with my support hand, this tends to shift the shot sometimes (gun starts to recoil support hand pushes gun off to the side). Its back off for the time being, though I am considering fusing the monopod in the down position to solve this.

I used one at another class and for field work it was good, but I get better results with a bag.

edit: though I just found all 3 of them, the AICS is much looser (actually audibly rattles when shaken) than either of the PRS models I have so I may just have a bad/worn one.

F-tr doesnt allow fixed rear support so I never worked with one. Do shoot with several guys who have used them. The monopod seems best for solid platforms as these guys were struggling on softer surfaces. Two for sure used them a season and next year didnt have them on the weapon, one is a cop.

I've never had need for super fine solid support in the field. In a more fixed firing position a flexible bag or sock works extremely well.

As mentioned above, they do look cool for picture day and if Uncle Sam wants them, well that will attract some civilian sales no doubt.

JLHarris...I had the same issue with one of my monopods. It should lock into place <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">securely</span></span> with no wobble. Get in touch with Kasey on here and he will fix you right up as he did me. I informed him of my issue and they replaced my monopod free of charge.

JLharris, As long as you are talking about the monopod leg itself rattling then I suspect you have an older ASAI monopod, we changed an internal part resolving this issue. And we'll make yours 100% right if you'll return it.

If you are talking about the fit of the monopod to the stock, then that is an installation issue which is a challenge. On the ASAI you must use the fastener on the monopod to tighten it to the stock. Some try to use the butt-pad bolt which will never get it tight. We need to do a better job demonstrating this.

notquiteright, a common mistake when using a monopod is to drive it into the dirt by being "on" the rifle and rotating the knob to get to the right elevation. The right way is to hold on target with trigger hand while adjusting the monopod leg with off hand until it hits the dirt. In soft materials, simply run your hand down the knob and let the heel of the off hand contact the dirt this spreads out the contact bearing surface and will support the butt.

The value for military is really no different from a civilian or LEO; like the bipod, a monopod is attached to the rifle so it won't get lost and it will do everything a bean bag will and more.

Reactions: Ehtacs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JLharris, As long as you are talking about the monopod leg itself rattling then I suspect you have an older ASAI monopod, we changed an internal part resolving this issue. And we'll make yours 100% right if you'll return it.

If you are talking about the fit of the monopod to the stock, then that is an installation issue which is a challenge. On the ASAI you must use the fastener on the monopod to tighten it to the stock. Some try to use the butt-pad bolt which will never get it tight. We need to do a better job demonstrating this.
</div></div>

Its the leg, though yes getting the pod on the rifle tightly can be a challenge (I've found the supplied bolt is too long to snug both the spacer plates on the buttpad and the monopod snug unless you use a lot of spacer), but that one I've figured out (though I do sometimes wish the edge of the mount clamped on to the stock in some way to prevent being slightly loose from translating into "moves"..tightened the stock bolt at the range recently and did exactly that without having an angle wrench to get to the monopod's adjustment bolt...doh)

I'll get the pod in the mail to you.

I ordered mine last week from accushot. I got the high speed locking model. It will be interesting to see if I can change years of shooting off my fist and what the effect will be. I'm keeping an open mind.

It was different for me to use at first. I carried my rear bag for a while still. I am getting more and more use to using it now while prone. It's great for setting my rifle up for a prone shot varminting then setting up and glassing other potential targets while the crosshairs stay on the den where I left them while I wait on my target. I'll say, I have left several rear bags laying in the hay fields having to go back looking for them or never finding them. Haven't lost my Accushot monopod yet. Make sure you coordinate your monopod height to your primary bipod height, makes a big difference shooting up hill. I took my Ace skeleton stock off my AR last night just so I could give the pod another run this summer on my original A2 stock while my bolt gun is being rebuilt. Kasey makes good stuff and stands behind his work.

I just finished installing an AccuShot on my TRG this PM did a little prone dry fire and I'm really liking it. Install was a breeze and product quality excellent. Way nice system he developed for the TRG.

JLharris, I think you got this but just to be clear, the fastener fixed to the monopod itself is how the monopod is tightened to the stock.

This fastener needs to rotate between 7 and 20 full rotations. If the monopod gets tight before you hit 7 rotations, then you remove the monopod and install the longer bolt.

Then if you hit 20 and it is still loose, you remove the monopod, pull the long bolt out of the butt pad and remove some of the length.

You only use the longer bolt IF you need it.

And all of this gyration is due to the variables with how many of the butt pad spacers are used.

We'll get the monopod made right and back out to you ASAP.

Helidriver, I too use to shoot off the fist, and with your open mind, I think you'll do fine. Just think of the monopod as an mechanical fist with a built in extension!

ARCOREY, that is a perfect testimonial! Thank you! Can we add it to our website?

Mark S, thanks, I hope you find some benefit to its use. And take some comfort in knowing that some government somewhere will soon be getting a fairly large shipment of TRG's with the BT29 and BT12-QK w/ BT07's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ARCOREY, that is a perfect testimonial! Thank you! Can we add it to our website?
</div></div>

No problem. Hopefully I can get you some better photos of my gopher victims this summer with the AR toting my monopod and my Atlas V8. My buddy is fabricating a custom rail to fit on my free float tube now so I can switch it over too.

bought one, sold it. seemed wobbly to me. good stuff, maybe i was just doing it wrong. but the treaded shaft didnt seem stable with the locking ring tightened all the way.

ARCOREY, thanks and pics are always welcome!

AXEMAN, I trust it was an Accu-Shot and Thank you for giving it a chance.

Please help me understand this; "but the treaded shaft didnt seem stable with the locking ring tightened all the way."

Which type of monopod was it, mounted to a sling stud or picatinny rail?

When installed right, the threaded shaft (actuator rod) should not move. The only movement should be between the knob and the threaded shaft. And on the locking models (BT04, BT05 and BT06) and the rail mount versions (BT12, BT13 and BT31) the "locking" thumbnut is jammed down to the knob which then removes the play between the male/female threads.

This is provided the monopod is 100% correct in it's materials and assembly. Yes, we make mistakes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bought one, sold it. seemed wobbly to me. good stuff, maybe i was just doing it wrong. but the treaded shaft didnt seem stable with the locking ring tightened all the way. </div></div>
When I first installed AccuShot on AICS the symptoms were just like yours. I called Kasey (or emailed - don't remember now), and he guided me through the installation. Turned out - I didn't install it right the first time. Now it feels like the monopod is welded to the chassis.

P.S. <span style="font-style: italic">One would wonder why is it so easy to screw up with so few parts involved.
wink.gif

Thankfully it's equally easy to do right.</span>

it had two threaded knurled round discs. it was a folding unit. my assumption was that the first knurled disc would be tightened towards the stock to lock the threaded shaft into place in its extended position while the other was to tighten the knob or pod part. it used a QD swivel to attach to the slind stud on my HS stock. it also had a solid "button" or disc to come in contact with the ground or shooting surface. im new to all of this and at the time i was shooting off a bench with a bipod. i did like the way you can turn it and adjust elevation. thats handy. id try one again, i just thought a bag would be better and took the opportunity to sell it when i was clearing gear. i bought it here used. like i said it was good stuff, fit well, well made, and id try another as i get to start shooting more and to better utilize it

I'm usually a bag guy but have used the AccuShot monopod to great effect in the past.
If you think a monopod is the route you want to go, definitely go for the AccuShot.

Hi mouse07410!

AXEMAN, that was the BT04, and you had it right, but the with the top Thumbnut tight to the bottom of the Stock Collar and the Stock Collar tight to the stock, there should be no play in the threaded rod, only between the knob and the rod, which the second thumbnut when jammed to the knob, takes care of. We suggest that locktite or epoxy be used on the sling stud to insure it stays tight. And no worries, the monopod is not for everybody. And we could do a better job explaining it's function which we plan to do with our new website.

it was well made and id try it again. i think for the position and bipod i had at that time, it was not ideal but it is handy and fit the HS stock well

AXEMAN, no worries, it's just a tool, some like other don't. I'm just interested in feedback and what I often see is we need to do a better job demonstrating the use and application of the monopod!

I bought a monopod for my wife. I can't seem to get her to remember to turn the jam nut back up tight after she folds it into position for use. When she forgets this, it gets loose when she shoots. When she does remember or I do it for her everything is fine. I have thought of bedding it to the stock. Would this work?

If you are talking about the leg being loose, bedding the stock collar would make no difference. If it is the stock collar that is loose, then you need to install it then dedicate it using the set screw. If done right it'll take both hands to break the thumbnut loose.

Got my returned AICS monopod back today (already, wasn't even gone a week cant beat that CS)...no more rattle.

Guess I need to get it back on the rifle before tomorrow nights range trip.