• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Has anyone used the Nightforce Velocity 1000 reticle on a .338 Lapua?

TacBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Wyoming
I know you pick the correct reticle for a specific load or velocity, but has anyone used this with their .338 Lapua? I am just wondering what reticle you are using and what load you are using with it? I made some very minimal changes in my input on the Velocity Calculator and it changed what scope should be used?

Do you really want a reticle that is only good for one caliber and one specific load?

In my opinion you are better off with a reticle that is flexible enough to be used on any rifle you might own. I like the MLR 2.0, but he Moar, P4, MSR, MLR and MIL R would work great as well ( just too name a few).

Do you really want a reticle that is only good for one caliber and one specific load?

In my opinion you are better off with a reticle that is flexible enough to be used on any rifle you might own. I like the MLR 2.0, but he Moar, P4, MSR, MLR and MIL R would work great as well ( just too name a few).

Thanks, but I have questions for someone that has run this reticle with a .338 Lapua?

Yes, I ran this reticle on a .338 Lapua that was built by H-S precision. My load was a 250 grain Sierra match king over 4831 Sc powder. The reticle was HV.5. I was able to work up a load that matched the reticle. It took time and patience, but it can be done. I was happy for a little while, until I wanted to start playing with 300 grain Bergers, then it was back to the drawing board and more load development. I was able to get another load to work with that as well. However.....I sold the scope and went with a straight MOAR reticle for the following reasons:

1. The velocity reticle only works under standard conditions, as weather changed, temp, humidity, elevation, etc. bullet impact changes, so the reticle is not spot on for long range 1000 yds + The loads that I developed in the summer were different in the winter due to basic weather changes.
2. I enjoy trying new bullets/ powder combinations and personally found it very hard to be married to one load.
3. I have switched to a very basic smart phone ballistics app, and find that the ability to dial in current weather conditions to the app, temp, humidity, elevation, etc. to be more accurate than the reticle, due to using real-time data.
4. Much more load flexability/ rifle flexability. I can switch calibers and not have to change reticles.

I know what you are thinking...wow wouldn't it be great to have e reticle match the load...no dialing...just hold and shoot !!! Well it really is not that simple. I found out with my own time and money. It can work if you are going to shoot under the same conditions all of the time and be married to a particular load....however I only married on thing in life....not room for anything else. Hope this helps.

Yes, I ran this reticle on a .338 Lapua that was built by H-S precision. My load was a 250 grain Sierra match king over 4831 Sc powder. The reticle was HV.5. I was able to work up a load that matched the reticle. It took time and patience, but it can be done. I was happy for a little while, until I wanted to start playing with 300 grain Bergers, then it was back to the drawing board and more load development. I was able to get another load to work with that as well. However.....I sold the scope and went with a straight MOAR reticle for the following reasons:

1. The velocity reticle only works under standard conditions, as weather changed, temp, humidity, elevation, etc. bullet impact changes, so the reticle is not spot on for long range 1000 yds + The loads that I developed in the summer were different in the winter due to basic weather changes.
2. I enjoy trying new bullets/ powder combinations and personally found it very hard to be married to one load.
3. I have switched to a very basic smart phone ballistics app, and find that the ability to dial in current weather conditions to the app, temp, humidity, elevation, etc. to be more accurate than the reticle, due to using real-time data.
4. Much more load flexability/ rifle flexability. I can switch calibers and not have to change reticles.

I know what you are thinking...wow wouldn't it be great to have e reticle match the load...no dialing...just hold and shoot !!! Well it really is not that simple. I found out with my own time and money. It can work if you are going to shoot under the same conditions all of the time and be married to a particular load....however I only married on thing in life....not room for anything else. Hope this helps.

These are the answers I was looking for! Thanks! Has anyone used the MOAR-T? I cannot find any Nightforce scopes for sale with the Reticle?