• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has this happened to anyone?

HawkDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Southeast Ohio
I'm using a Lee Challenger Breech loading press and recently while using the lever prime, it is deforming some primers, seating some backwards (after I have verified that they were correct before attempting to prime), and one even detonated tonight. Luckily I'm trying to make my aviation career last a little longer so I was wearing safety glasses. I ordered a hand primer but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this?

Re: Has this happened to anyone?

Never had it happen to me, but I am glad you didn't have any problems from the one that popped.

Thanks. It scared the hell out of the dog and I had a little ringing in my ears for a few minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm using a Lee Challenger Breech loading press and recently while using the lever prime, it is deforming some primers, seating some backwards (after I have verified that they were correct before attempting to prime), and one even detonated tonight. Luckily I'm trying to make my aviation career last a little longer so I was wearing safety glasses. I ordered a hand primer but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this? </div></div>

I guess I've just been lucky, as I've crunched some primers being fed through my Dillon 550b in the past and no detonation. I mean...I've really mangled some to the point that they've been crushed pretty good.

Always wear eye protection (I wear glasses in everyday life) and make sure that you slaughter that goat, each time before you reload, ASAP.

Glad you're OK and I hope that I never experience that 'glitch'.

Chris

Some primers are more susceptible to detonation. I think some reloading presses recommend to not use Federal, although I do some.

The Lee hand primer even cautions you to use CCI to avoid that happening. I, however, use mostly federal and Wolf. As the old saying goes. "If it don't fit don't force it in, back it up and try again". Good advice for most every endeavor.

I've loaded more primers than I can count over the years and haven't had one detonate in the press or tool yet. Mangled the crap out of a couple but no bangs.

I will say that I'm not much for "slamming" anything while reloading. Firm, deliberate movements, but with enough "reservation" that I can stop at the first sign of a problem.

I prefer hand priming everything but my .223/5.56 and 9mm. It gives me a chance to toss any case with a loose pocket before filling it with powder and seating a bullet. "Press Priming" is a lot more difficult to "feel".

I've had a handful go off in a progressive. No big deal just scares this shit out of you. Usually it's because the decapper knocks the body of the spent primer out but pulls the spent anvil back in and a new primer tried to seat over the old anvil. It's kind of a pain in the ass because you have to tear down the priming station to get the brass out but 10 or so mins later and you're up and running again.

I'm using Federal 210M primers. The book doesn't caution against them that I can find. I'm just not liking the lever prime.

Ok, I'll ask, are you trying to prime crimped brass without removing the crimp first? That's what it sounds like. You shouldn't be having that much trouble. Details on brass?

I had one go off because a keneral of powder got on my dillon 550b on the up strok to seat the primer

No it's not crimped. I've loaded a lot of primers in the same brass with no problems. I think the problem is with the primer arm. It used to seat the primers flush but now it's down to around .003-.004 below flush. The brass I'm using is once fired, Black Hills .308 Match. It is all the same lot out of a case of 500 that I bought about a year ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TenZero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I'll ask, are you trying to prime crimped brass without removing the crimp first? That's what it sounds like. You shouldn't be having that much trouble. Details on brass? </div></div>

Diddo...this is what I was thinking too, but I see where you stated this is not the case. Lever Prime....are you referring to the Lee Safety Prime??? Where you prime on the press with the priming insert in the ram??? Damn....I've loaded well over 10,000 rds on my Lee Challenger Breech Lock Press with zero issues. As a matter of fact, the plastic parts have only gotten smoother and I keep them slick with teflon powder. All other parts are protected with Rem Oil.

It's the safety prime. Our of the last 20 rds that I primed 8 of the primers got crunched, and one popped. It has been flipping the primers over multiple times even after I have put them in by hand. I'm not sure how this is happening? It just started last night and I haven't changed anything at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a handful go off in a progressive. No big deal just scares this shit out of you. Usually it's because the decapper knocks the body of the spent primer out but pulls the spent anvil back in and a new primer tried to seat over the old anvil. It's kind of a pain in the ass because you have to tear down the priming station to get the brass out but 10 or so mins later and you're up and running again. </div></div>

Check out the Dillon Sizing die's that have the "spring loaded de-priming pin". I had this problem with 9mm and then bought a Dillon die set. When the pin enters the case and contacts the primer it travels up against a spring. When it reaches the limit of it's travel, the spring being fully compressed, the primer then is pushed out and the spring snaps the primer pin back down. The effect is to "flick" off any primer/anvil that might be stuck to the pin. Kind of like "flicking" something nasty off your finger
cool.gif

Some people also flatten the tip of the depriming pin so it doesn't go as far into the spent anvil and get stuck.