• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Have a hypothetical suppressor/ cali question

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
A customer is thinking about purchasing a suppressor, he is in the military and currently resides and is stationed in ohio. His fear is that he may eventually get transferred to California temporarily.

What are his options if this were to happen? I suggested he could put a family member who resides in OH on his trust paperwork so they could as least have it in their house legally (I think, right?). Either that or he could leave it with me while he is transferred as another option.

Anyone ran into this issue before?

Re: Have a hypothetical suppressor/ cali question

For a form 4. He can leave it at his home of record (in a legal state), in a lock box that only he has the key to.

On a trust, whoever is listed can keep it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shane C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a form 4. He can leave it at his home of record (in a legal state), in a lock box that only he has the key to.
</div></div>

So even if he gets move to CA he cant take the can with him ??
I think suppressors are completely outlawed in Cali arnt they

I think he meant that if he still kept a house in Ohio, he could leave it in a lockbox there unattended.

Yeah as far as I know they are totally outlawed there.

He can check with the Provost marshall on whatever base he's going to and possibly keep it in an arms room on base. I believe that if he is travelling on orders he can transport it through the state of California to his ultimate destination. Shouldnt be an issue with storing it on base, and he can probably use it at ranges on base. Best bet is to call the ATF and check, then the provost marshall of the place he is headed to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chittnp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He can check with the Provost marshall on whatever base he's going to and possibly keep it in an arms room on base. I believe that if he is travelling on orders he can transport it through the state of California to his ultimate destination. Shouldnt be an issue with storing it on base, and he can probably use it at ranges on base. Best bet is to call the ATF and check, then the provost marshall of the place he is headed to. </div></div>

There is no point in calling the kalifornia ATF/department of injustice. They'll give out false info. The only people allowed to have suppressors here are certain police/swat members and the film industry. On top of the standard forms needed to aquire NFA items you need extra forms/permission slips from the state, and they don't give them out to regular people. Keep the suppressor out of this state, this government loves to nail law abiding citizens on weapons charges. Don't give them the opportunity. If you need legal info for weapons in this state go to Calguns.net. There are a lot of lawyers/members there and they can give the best advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chittnp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He can check with the Provost marshall on whatever base he's going to and possibly keep it in an arms room on base. I believe that if he is travelling on orders he can transport it through the state of California to his ultimate destination. Shouldnt be an issue with storing it on base, and he can probably use it at ranges on base. Best bet is to call the ATF and check, then the provost marshall of the place he is headed to. </div></div>

Yeah...F' that noise. Storing in the ARMS room on base? Would you offer to store your 18yr old virgin sister there and feel safe?

Yeah, I did that with my pistol. Stupidest fucking idea EVER.

Here's the scoop on it.

It was put into a safe designated for Personally Owned Weapons. My access to it was beyond limited, and I was told that I would have to provide an itinerary with it detailing the exact date and time of where exactly my weapon would be. Then I had to provide a MapQuest map of where my weapon would be in relation to the arms Room.

Never mind the fact that it was MY weapon, or the fact that only ONE person had the combination for the safe. Sure does suck when that guy is on leave, and you have three people working in there who have no fucking clue what weapons are in there.

In the end, I had to contact my CO, and had to have a signed memorandum authorizing ME to take my OWN fucking weapon out of the arms room.

And if you have actually sat down with the rules governing the Arms Room, then it shouldn't come as a surprise that even the people who are working and ultimately in charge of the Arms Room DO NOT want you to put your POW inside there. There is enough shit going against them regarding rules, and POWs just add alcohol, and oxygen, to the fire.

"Just put your weapon in the Arms Room," is one of the poorest, and one of the most often pieces of repeated BAD advice, currently in the Armed Services.

Find a family member close by, or a VERY VERY VERY good and close friend(the kind who won't drink a fifth of Jack and try to shoot himself and/or his wife) and leave it with them.

By the way, don't expect anything in there, not locked up, to be there when you get there to check it out. Shit gets jacked if it's not locked down, and that's any piece of gear, anywhere.

I didnt say the company arms room was the best option, I said it was an option. California law doesnt trump federal law on a military installation, so he can check with the provost marshall and see what the policy for that is. I would bet that he's not the first, and therefore there is a policy existing. if there is no policy then he can ask them to write one, which is a simple thing to do.

Last time I checked no military installation allows privately owned C3 items to be stored on base period. Take to range is just fine, but housing and arms room not so much....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chittnp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didnt say the company arms room was the best option, I said it was an option. California law doesnt trump federal law on a military installation, so he can check with the provost marshall and see what the policy for that is. I would bet that he's not the first, and therefore there is a policy existing. if there is no policy then he can ask them to write one, which is a simple thing to do. </div></div>

I was in a garrison MP unit, and the Arms Room was the Provost Marshall's. My weapon was stored there.

Army rules are all the same, irregardless, of whatever Arms Room it is. The Army HAS to abide by local, state, and federal laws. This has ALWAYS been true.

Also writing a policy is not a simple thing to do by any stretch. There are legalities put onto the CO when he writes that. I have personally seen my former COs calling up JAG to discuss the legalities of their own policies, and it can take some time for them to be satisfied that they will be in the clear in case anything should happen. When you sign a POW into an Arms Room the CO, the OIC of the Arms Room, and the NCOIC of the Arms Room, and any personnel maintaining the Arms Room are assuming responsibility for that POW. The easiest thing for them for them to do is say "NO", and don't be surprised if they do. You are asking more than one person to possibly violate a law, and put their careers, and ultimately their spouse's and dependent's lives at risk. The Arms Room, and maintaining it is a serious business for the Army.

And before someone goes and says, "Well, the military has suppressors, if they have them in a state that doesn't allow them, then why can't a soldier put his in there?", well the stickler for that is the MILITARY owns the suppressor, and it is a piece of equipment, it is for a soldier to use in the performance of his duties. It is not the personal property of any soldier to take to the range, go hunting with, or use for their own personal enjoyment.

I have already been there, and done that on this. It's NOT simple, it's a fucking headache.

/quote]So even if he gets move to CA he cant take the can with him ??
I think suppressors are completely outlawed in Cali arnt they [/quote]

Another reason I don't live in Kalifornia. I'd go the Trust route and leave it with a trusted relative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcpd34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">/quote]...I think suppressors are completely outlawed in Cali arnt they...</div></div>

There's exceptions for LE and active duty military in the course of their duties, and dont forget the movie industry! ;Q