• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have any of you ever swapped a .300wm savage over to .300 Norma Mag?

GlockandRoll

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Austin, TX
I really want to extend the capabilities of trusty .300wm and rebarrel it with a proof .300 norma bbl in and start shooting it suppressed.
Have any of you done this with a savage before?
It's CDI bottom metal for AI pattern mags.
I'm assuming the only thing I will need to do is swap the BBL and bolt face, correct?

Thanks in advance.
IMAG0543.jpg

Last edited:
I haven’t done it, but I think it’s just bolt face, barrel, and magazines. I think all savage long actions are long enough for lapua size cartridges, but that’s something I’d suggest looking into

I think the factory Lapua guns were built on the Large Shank actions like the RUM guns were. I don't know anything about the Norma but guys used to argue on whether it was a good idea to build the 338 Lapua on the standard action when I hung out on the Savage Shooters forum. Definitely worth doing a bit or research.

If you just want something with some more legs you could get a 300 rum barrel, if you want to stay .30 caliber. 7 Rem mag or 7lrm are a smaller caliber option that Doesn’t give up much to a .30 except maybe spotting ability at longer distances. One of the better larger options is 338 edge. But, if you want to step up to the larger bolt face options there’s nothing wrong with that

Also, here’s the obligatory plug for reloading. If you’re only using factory ammo you’re leaving a lot of performance on the table

Lapua-sized bolt face is an issue in doing the swap. I rechambered from a Savage 300 WM to 300 PRC and it worked well - note that you also need CIP length mags. Not sure what your current bottom metal supports. I did run into some chambering issues on mine.

EDIT Chambering issues were feeding from the mag at long OAL. They would catch on the lip of the feed ramp. Shorter OAL worked fine.

I was thinking about the same thing today. I also like the idea of the 7mm-300NM. West Texas ordinance has all the stuff for it and has already tested it... I have a 300RUM that might need a rebarrel ??

Good stuff, I'm glad I asked.
I might just rebarrel and stay 300wm, but want to push the berger 230s faster than 68-69 gtains of H1000 does.

Reactions: The D
Good stuff, I'm glad I asked.
I might just rebarrel and stay 300wm, but want to push the berger 230s faster than 68-69 gtains of H1000 does.
Get a long-throated barrel and look up the many recipes in the reloading depot. 300prc and 300wm are essentially the same cases, the prc is just designed to have bullets not sitting as far into the case

I made the switch to 300 Norma with my 110stealth in 300 win mag.
Bought a bolt face from ptg and a new barrel.
My 110 stealth has a large shank action and only has an ejection port, not the whole top end cut out so it’s a little more ridged for the added stress that might come with the larger case capacity.

Reactions: GlockandRoll
I made the switch to 300 Norma with my 110stealth in 300 win mag.
Bought a bolt face from ptg and a new barrel.
My 110 stealth has a large shank action and only has an ejection port, not the whole top end cut out so it’s a little more ridged for the added stress that might come with the larger case capacity.
Good to know, thanks.