• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March FFP 1.5-15x42 MPVO Review and Comparison (w/ Nightforce and Athlon)

I really need to update my review, the new DFP reticle swap is a definite improvement in clarity above 8x
It's good to hear mine wasn't the only one improved after the swap. I'm considering this scope to maybe, just maybe, be that unicorn I had been searching for most of my adult life. You know the one that sits atop 90% of my rifles. I really can't see anything coming out anytime soon that will check as many boxes as this one. If they had something in the 2-3x low to 20-28x high end with DFP it would cover the remaining 10% for me. So a 3-27x would do it. 😁

(snip)
I am super excited for the folks at March to build my scope. I could not prevail upon them to start producing light weight rings though ;-). They indicated their Euro distributor works that, but they've got no plans to take that in house at Deon (if I understood them right). I can turn up some Ti and other rings on Google, but they don't seem to be factory March options.
The lightweight titanium rings from Marchscopes Europe have gained acceptance and somewhat of a following with some owners of the new March Majesta 8-80X56 HM WA, matching the grey of the body for quite a distinctive look. I saw several such setups at the just concluded 2023 US Nationals. They are also available in black.

You can get them here:

I had previosuly stated that I had not noticed an IQ degradation at > 8 or 10X with my March 1.5-15X42 in SFP and I was wondering why that would be a thing with the FFP/DFP version and how it was remedied with the new reticle. So, I asked Deon and they responded:

"Because the tree dots in the new reticle are larger and can be seen better, it may seem that the scope with the new reticle has a sharper image. Also for FFP reticle replacements, we take out the inner parts and after we reassemble the reticle and parts, we readjust the image quality. We adjust the image quality to match the reticle. So if the customer feels that the IQ of the returned scope is better, we are confident that the new reticle has had a positive effect."

I'm not a huge fan of copper monos, but when I have tested Barnes VOR-TX ammo, it's been high quality. My limited experience indicates as good or better than advertised velocity, <15 fps SD for 10 shot strings, and above average precision. That said, their LRX bullets are about average for their respective mass concerning BC, so not especially well-suited to long range use unless they're the clear winner in terms of precision for your rifle.

I am super excited for the folks at March to build my scope. I could not prevail upon them to start producing light weight rings though ;-). They indicated their Euro distributor works that, but they've got no plans to take that in house at Deon (if I understood them right). I can turn up some Ti and other rings on Google, but they don't seem to be factory March options.
At least out to 300 yds, that Barnes ammo easily out-grouped the Hornady 140 gr ELD Match, which was my prev 'range round'.

I really need to update my review, the new DFP reticle swap is a definite improvement in clarity above 8x
Glass: I really appreciate the depth, relevance, and objectivity of your review. Truly outstanding work; thanks for putting it together.

In addition to crushing my hopes and dreams on the IQ of the March above 10x, I learned some things about optics in general from the review. And, I’m really hoping you can uncrush my dreams with your review update after the DFP swap. This scope checks a lot of the boxes I personally find important, and I’d be stoked if it also has high IQ throughout the magnification range. Are you planning to update the quantitative table comparing the three scopes? Would be fantastic if you did.

Mark

Glass: I really appreciate the depth, relevance, and objectivity of your review. Truly outstanding work; thanks for putting it together.

In addition to crushing my hopes and dreams on the IQ of the March above 10x, I learned some things about optics in general from the review. And, I’m really hoping you can uncrush my dreams with your review update after the DFP swap. This scope checks a lot of the boxes I personally find important, and I’d be stoked if it also has high IQ throughout the magnification range. Are you planning to update the quantitative table comparing the three scopes? Would be fantastic if you did.

Mark
Thank you very much Mark, yes, I do plan to update the table but will keep the original results and include new results so a fair comparison can be made.

Loving it. My best all around scope. I did however prefer my Zeiss V8 for hunting. Has the edge in low light. Not by much but enough for me to run it solely as my hunting scope.
More light transmission in low light or just better IQ overall? Magnificaiton usable to 12x atleast or do the thicker subtensions get in the way at higher magnification? About to order one for my SR15 LPR, just wish there were some thinner subtensions.

More light transmission in low light or just better IQ overall? Magnificaiton usable to 12x atleast or do the thicker subtensions get in the way at higher magnification? About to order one for my SR15 LPR, just wish there were some thinner subtensions.
This is a good question and I'm not sure I can pin down the correct answer. The V8 image in low light allows me better identification as it gets darker. That very well could be because the subtensions are thicker and obstruct what I'm looking at when at higher magnification. The subtensions are definitely on the thicker side so when there's 5-10 minutes of legal hunting light and a buck walks out 75 yards away in the field and I'm trying to count antlers or look for features of the rack to identify if it's one of the target bucks it's just easier to do with the V8. Not impossible with the March, don't get me wrong, but when you're hunting a field or in the woods trying to thread the needle between branches, a full Christmas tree reticle is unwanted and unneeded. I'm rarely at max magnification during my hunts and stay below 8x for everything but target identification so it's not a deal breaker for hunting with the March and it can be done. in my opinion, the March is not a specific tool for any one task. It's a jack of all trades and can do everything you'll need done well, but there is a better scope for hunting, target shooting, long distance, and competitions. If you're looking for one scope for your do-all rifle or to swap between different rifles this is it. For a precision gas gun I think it would be very hard to beat.

The problem this scope solved for me is I need low end magnification at at 1-2x and wanted high end at 15-18x. That's found in the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x, which I thought was going to be the scope to end all scopes for me, but the reticle is unusable without illumination until somewhere at 6-8x. The Vortex Gen 3 1-10x was the same way. Along comes the March 1.5-15x DFP and there's my useable fixed duplex reticle visible throughout the entire mag range and once I'm at higher magnification I have subtensions if i need them. Small, lightweight, lockable turrets, and a very easy and usable push button illumination system. The March 1.5-15x DFP is an awesome little scope. If you spend most of your time at 8x and below I doubt you'll find better but if you spend most of your time at 15x and need the higher magnification for longer ranges I could see this leaving you a little wanting.

My thoughts are similar to @UNRL Ghandi. To me this is not a perfect scope, but it is extremely well at what it does. I hunt mostly in a pine stand and it does well for me there. I traded away my Vortex G3 1-10 in favor of this one. The only thing I could potentially get rid of this one for would be a Swaro 6x in some low power variation. For my situation I don’t NEED uncapped/adjustable turrets. I am fine with 100yd zero and leave it. However the magnification range is exactly what I’m looking for.

This is a good question and I'm not sure I can pin down the correct answer. The V8 image in low light allows me better identification as it gets darker. That very well could be because the subtensions are thicker and obstruct what I'm looking at when at higher magnification. The subtensions are definitely on the thicker side so when there's 5-10 minutes of legal hunting light and a buck walks out 75 yards away in the field and I'm trying to count antlers or look for features of the rack to identify if it's one of the target bucks it's just easier to do with the V8. Not impossible with the March, don't get me wrong, but when you're hunting a field or in the woods trying to thread the needle between branches, a full Christmas tree reticle is unwanted and unneeded. I'm rarely at max magnification during my hunts and stay below 8x for everything but target identification so it's not a deal breaker for hunting with the March and it can be done. in my opinion, the March is not a specific tool for any one task. It's a jack of all trades and can do everything you'll need done well, but there is a better scope for hunting, target shooting, long distance, and competitions. If you're looking for one scope for your do-all rifle or to swap between different rifles this is it. For a precision gas gun I think it would be very hard to beat.

The problem this scope solved for me is I need low end magnification at at 1-2x and wanted high end at 15-18x. That's found in the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x, which I thought was going to be the scope to end all scopes for me, but the reticle is unusable without illumination until somewhere at 6-8x. The Vortex Gen 3 1-10x was the same way. Along comes the March 1.5-15x DFP and there's my useable fixed duplex reticle visible throughout the entire mag range and once I'm at higher magnification I have subtensions if i need them. Small, lightweight, lockable turrets, and a very easy and usable push button illumination system. The March 1.5-15x DFP is an awesome little scope. If you spend most of your time at 8x and below I doubt you'll find better but if you spend most of your time at 15x and need the higher magnification for longer ranges I could see this leaving you a little wanting.
I enjoyed the quick review but I was a little confused and had to go look up stuff. If I understand correctly, you are comparing the lowlight capabilities of the Zeiss V8 (I can't see where you specified which V8 model) and the March-FX 1.5-15X42 (24oz and 10.6 inches). If you're comparing the March to the Zeiss V8 1.8-14X50 (25 oz and 13.5inch), that means you're comparing a 50mm objective to a 42mm objective. The 50mm objective will bring in quite a bit more light than the 42mm objective. If you're comparing it to the Zeiss V8 2.8-20X56 (29oz, 13.8 inches), that's comparing a 42mm objective to a 56mm objective.

The NF 8 2.5-20X50 (28,5 oz, 12.0 inches), again, that would be comparing a 50mm objective to a 42mm one. I think it's important to use the exact name and model of the riflescopes used in a comparison; the number after the X is all-important as it tells us a lot about the scope without having to go looking it up.

I also enjoyed your comment about the DFP in the March; that definitely validates the concept of the dual focal plane in this application.

I wonder how the results of this test would have went with the ATACR replaced by the 2.5-20 NX8. Its lighter, with a lower low end and a higher high end. I was not crazy about this scope at launch, but it seems possible to me that the optical formula has been optimized. I got my hands on a tan late release that a friend of mine owns, and I was really impressed with the glass in his particular copy. Perhaps he got lucky, perhaps they have figured out some things since launch.

I'm excited for @Glassaholic updated review and to see what he thinks now.

I appreciate the info @UNRL Ghandi and @mercracing . I'm looking a bit on the other side of fence regarding use to what you two are using it for, not so much hunting. I want to be able to observe at higher 15x magnification, with the sweet spot around 10x to engage. And near target, I know I'm asking a little much to use this as a LPVO 1x with red dot center reticle (ie ATACR 1-8), but we'll let it ride and see how it does. Excited to give this one a run nonetheless.

I wonder how the results of this test would have went with the ATACR replaced by the 2.5-20 NX8. Its lighter, with a lower low end and a higher high end. I was not crazy about this scope at launch, but it seems possible to me that the optical formula has been optimized. I got my hands on a tan late release that a friend of mine owns, and I was really impressed with the glass in his particular copy. Perhaps he got lucky, perhaps they have figured out some things since launch.
Part of the reason I chose the 4-16x42 was because I wanted to compare similar scopes with similar objectives. I have experience with several NX8 2.5-20's and the last one was part of my review done prior to this one. Having said that, I feel the greatest deficiency with the NX8 2.5-20 is the reticle, while the Mil- reticles do very well for long distance, they really struggle with low magnification and that is exactly what I found with the 2.5-20, even with bright illumination it did not give me what I was hoping for, for this reason I have advocated for Nightforce to offer the FC-DMx reticle in the 2.5-20 or at least some hybrid blend of the Mil-XT and DMx to allow for very bright and usable 2.5x use. This is also my only issue with the Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 with MSR2 reticle, I love the reticle as a crossover design but due to poor illumination, it is not very usable at 3x. The dual focal plane design of the DR-TR2B is ideal for a crossover rifle as well as numerous gas gun applications, as Ghandi mentions above, the thick SFP crosshair as well as the super bright fiber optic center dot make this "easy" at 1.5x and at higher mags the FFP hash marks and tree begin to come into play, I would love to see more dual focal plane reticles make their way into the MPVO market.

Part of the reason I chose the 4-16x42 was because I wanted to compare similar scopes with similar objectives. I have experience with several NX8 2.5-20's and the last one was part of my review done prior to this one. Having said that, I feel the greatest deficiency with the NX8 2.5-20 is the reticle, while the Mil- reticles do very well for long distance, they really struggle with low magnification and that is exactly what I found with the 2.5-20, even with bright illumination it did not give me what I was hoping for, for this reason I have advocated for Nightforce to offer the FC-DMx reticle in the 2.5-20 or at least some hybrid blend of the Mil-XT and DMx to allow for very bright and usable 2.5x use. This is also my only issue with the Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 with MSR2 reticle, I love the reticle as a crossover design but due to poor illumination, it is not very usable at 3x. The dual focal plane design of the DR-TR2B is ideal for a crossover rifle as well as numerous gas gun applications, as Ghandi mentions above, the thick SFP crosshair as well as the super bright fiber optic center dot make this "easy" at 1.5x and at higher mags the FFP hash marks and tree begin to come into play, I would love to see more dual focal plane reticles make their way into the MPVO market.
Which reticle do you feel is better at the lower end of their respective ranges, the Mil-XT in the NF 2.5-20 or the Gen 3 XR in the TT Marksman 3-15?

Which reticle do you feel is better at the lower end of their respective ranges, the Mil-XT in the NF 2.5-20 or the Gen 3 XR in the TT Marksman 3-15?
Neither, but if forced to choose I suppose I would say the Mil-XT. NF has much better illumination than TT so that helps too. A much brighter illumination module in TT scopes would breathe new life into crossover use for the 315M and hunter lines. As much as I love the TT315M being limited to only the mil-dot reticle for low mag use is a bit frustrating.

Neither, but if forced to choose I suppose I would say the Mil-XT. NF has much better illumination than TT so that helps too. A much brighter illumination module in TT scopes would breathe new life into crossover use for the 315M and hunter lines. As much as I love the TT315M being limited to only the mil-dot reticle for low mag use is a bit frustrating.
I am hoping to see new things from TT and ZCO this year at SHOT though I won't hold my breath.
I swear, I am constantly in search of S&%$ that doesn't exist

TT is really blowing it by not making the Gen 3XR thicker in the 3-15 variants. If they went to 0.045 - 0.055 mils thick in the center portion, they’d have a real winner.

As it sits, I think the Gen 2 Mildot is the best option.

Reactions: Glassaholic
TT is really blowing it by not making the Gen 3XR thicker in the 3-15 variants. If they went to 0.045 - 0.055 mils thick in the center portion, they’d have a real winner.

As it sits, I think the Gen 2 Mildot is the best option.
I'm assuming the Gen 2 XR suffers from the same issues? On paper, I could deal with that easier than the Mildot option. I am stupid and don't count very well, I need my MILS numbered.

Last edited:
The dual focal plane design of the DR-TR2B is ideal for a crossover rifle as well as numerous gas gun applications, as Ghandi mentions above, the thick SFP crosshair as well as the super bright fiber optic center dot make this "easy" at 1.5x and at higher mags the FFP hash marks and tree begin to come into play, I would love to see more dual focal plane reticles make their way into the MPVO market.
Agreed. After seeing the DFP work in the DR-TR2B I've decided for scopes where I plan to spend most of my time on the low end of the magnification range I want DFP. For scopes I plan to spend most of my time in the high end, FFP.

I've been saying this for years = why not have thicker reticle options for scopes in the 2-10, 3-15, 3-18, 4-16, 4-20?! Like how about .1 mil for 2-10, .08 mil for 3-15 or 18, .07 mil for 4-16 or 20.
It's assumed scopes like this will be used on lower mag occasionally, right?!
If so then why have a scope like this to begin with if it has a thin reticle?!
The reticle needs to be plainly seen, like as in no guessing where the hashes are.
And add daylight bright illume to help even more.

I can't recall ever having missed using a thicker reticle.

I am hoping to see new things from TT and ZCO this year at SHOT though I won't hold my breath.
I swear, I am constantly in search of S&%$ that doesn't exist
From a manufacturing perspective it has got to be very difficult to meet the needs of everyone, but as the crossover world gains more and more traction (maybe through NRL Hunter) I hope to see more changes. I've been asking for a good crossover reticle from ZCO since my first 4-20, the only reason I do not have a ZCO on any of my rifles right now is due to their reticles. Don't get me wrong, I understand a lot of guys love their reticles, just not for me, that's where the Gen3 XR excels for longer range (but stinks for low mag work). It's a tug of war in some respects and some scope companies truly don't understand the market or their market research is flawed.

I'm assuming the Gen 2 XR suffers from the same issues? On paper, I could deal with that easier than the Mildot option. I am stupid and don't count very well, I need my MILS numbered.
That is correct Gen2 XR suffers from the same issue as Gen3 for low mag work

I've been saying this for years = why not have thicker reticle options for scopes in the 2-10, 3-15, 3-18, 4-16, 4-20?! Like how about .1 mil for 2-10, .08 mil for 3-15 or 18, .07 mil for 4-16 or 20.
It's assumed scopes like this will be used on lower mag occasionally, right?!
If so then why have a scope like this to begin with if it has a thin reticle?!
The reticle needs to be plainly seen, like as in no guessing where the hashes are.
And add daylight bright illume to help even more.

I can't recall ever having missed using a thicker reticle.
You make a good point and it highlights the balancing act that many manufacturers must go through. I agree with your final statement, while many of us may not prefer a thicker reticle it is highly doubtful any of us have ever missed using one, it's more about personal preference with regard to long range but for short magnification work that reticle is a lot more important especially if one of the intended uses is to potentially hit little vermin running around (like pigs, yotes, et al).

Reactions: steve123
I just picked up a 2.5-20 NX8 with the mil-xt for a 22 creed hunting rifle and I think the reticle is very usable at 2.5 especially with the bright illumination. I’ve had a 4-32 mil-xt for a while on another hunting rifle and like it a lot as well.

Yeah, currently the 2XR has same thickness as 3xr. Too thin for that mag range in my opinion.

The G2MD is absolutely dated by now, and definitely not what I’d consider ideal, but it is useable, and the thickness of that particular reticle is paired well with that mag range.

Agreed. After seeing the DFP work in the DR-TR2B I've decided for scopes where I plan to spend most of my time on the low end of the magnification range I want DFP. For scopes I plan to spend most of my time in the high end, FFP.
Ok, please explain that to me again because I am confused.

You are saying that for low magnification you prefer dual focal plane (SFP and FFP). At the higher magnification, you prefer FFP. Apart from the fact that super high magnification scopes are in SFP, I don't understand why the DFP DR-TR2B doesn't fit your requirement for the high magnification since it's essentially all FFP reticle at the high magnification.

Reactions: steve123
I just picked up a 2.5-20 NX8 with the mil-xt for a 22 creed hunting rifle and I think the reticle is very usable at 2.5 especially with the bright illumination. I’ve had a 4-32 mil-xt for a while on another hunting rifle and like it a lot as well.

That's exactly why I mentioned "options" in my post. Great that half the people can see thin reticles okay on low/lowest magnification but there are plenty that have a tougher time doing so.

So I ask this - which tends to be more true at lowest magnification?
A thin reticle hindering a shot on game, or a slightly thicker reticle hindering a shot on game? The best answer is "plainly" seen.

The next question is - if the battery is dead, or one forgot to bring another battery, or the illumination is broken, which reticle thickness would help in making a shot.
Also there are scopes that don't have daylight bright illumination or no illume at all.

Believe me - a thicker reticle can make all the difference sometimes. Not only that but nobody is missing anything using a slightly thicker reticle than what comes in the scopes right now.
These 2,3, or 4 to whatever magnification aren't high magnification benchrest scopes. Instead they are somewhat our crossover scopes instead of the usual 5-25's or 6-36's.

All these companies offer different reticles anyway so why not offer a thicker reticle OPTION!

Ok, please explain that to me again because I am confused.

You are saying that for low magnification you prefer dual focal plane (SFP and FFP). At the higher magnification, you prefer FFP. Apart from the fact that super high magnification scopes are in SFP, I don't understand why the DFP DR-TR2B doesn't fit your requirement for the high magnification since it's essentially all FFP reticle at the high magnification.
The thickest parts of the DFP reticle "move" toward the center of the reticle as you increase the magnification which is the opposite of an FFP reticle. For example, the DR-TR2B reticle SFP horizontal lines aren't even close to the FFP portion of the reticle but end up at 2.5 mils from center at 15x, so you have these thick lines at 2.5 mil horizontal and 4 mil on the bottom of the vertical lines (see reticle diagram below). This muddies up the reticle picture for me as it gets too close to center in my opinion. With FFP reticles, if there are thicker vertical and horizontal lines they move outwards as you move up through the magnification range, in some cases being completely out of the sight picture at the highest magnification, giving a better sight picture in my opinion.

FFP scopes with high erectors and low end magnification ranges are pretty much unusable for me unless illumination is on. That's where I need DFP. I use FFP scopes with high erectors and low end magnification for hunting and gas guns. In these applications I need to be able to pick up the reticle quickly and I don't want to rely on illumination. I personally don't see a need for DFP on precision bolt guns that spend most of their time in the top end of the magnification range. I've never complained about the 4.5x on my .338 LM needing to be thicker because I'm not shooting it on 4.5x. I'm going to be shooting that on 18x-28x so why would I need DFP? That's my take on it as I see it now.

1702406065101.png

1702407640649.png

That's exactly why I mentioned "options" in my post. Great that half the people can see thin reticles okay on low/lowest magnification but there are plenty that have a tougher time doing so.

So I ask this - which tends to be more true at lowest magnification?
A thin reticle hindering a shot on game, or a slightly thicker reticle hindering a shot on game? The best answer is "plainly" seen.

The next question is - if the battery is dead, or one forgot to bring another battery, or the illumination is broken, which reticle thickness would help in making a shot.
Also there are scopes that don't have daylight bright illumination or no illume at all.

Believe me - a thicker reticle can make all the difference sometimes. Not only that but nobody is missing anything using a slightly thicker reticle than what comes in the scopes right now.
These 2,3, or 4 to whatever magnification aren't high magnification benchrest scopes. Instead they are somewhat our crossover scopes instead of the usual 5-25's or 6-36's.

All these companies offer different reticles anyway so why not offer a thicker reticle OPTION!
For me, the NF DMCx DMx reticle is serviceable @ 1× without illumination being used.

YMMV,
Keith

ETA- Spelling, reticle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122_093928_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_093928_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
The thickest parts of the DFP reticle "move" toward the center of the reticle as you increase the magnification which is the opposite of an FFP reticle. For example, the DR-TR2B reticle SFP horizontal lines aren't even close to the FFP portion of the reticle but end up at 2.5 mils from center at 15x, so you have these thick lines at 2.5 mil horizontal and 4 mil on the bottom of the vertical lines (see reticle diagram below). This muddies up the reticle picture for me as it gets too close to center in my opinion. With FFP reticles, if there are thicker vertical and horizontal lines they move outwards as you move up through the magnification range, in some cases being completely out of the sight picture at the highest magnification, giving a better sight picture in my opinion.

FFP scopes with high erectors and low end magnification ranges are pretty much unusable for me unless illumination is on. That's where I need DFP. I use FFP scopes with high erectors and low end magnification for hunting and gas guns. In these applications I need to be able to pick up the reticle quickly and I don't want to rely on illumination. I personally don't see a need for DFP on precision bolt guns that spend most of their time in the top end of the magnification range. I've never complained about the 4.5x on my .338 LM needing to be thicker because I'm not shooting it on 4.5x. I'm going to be shooting that on 18x-28x so why would I need DFP? That's my take on it as I see it now.

View attachment 8294713

View attachment 8294741

Now I understand what you are saying. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I do agree that right now, I don't see a pressing need to DFP reticles in high magnification scopes, but I do think it works extremely well in the March-FX 1.5-15X42 due to its large zoom range.

I will point out that your definition of high magnification it very different from mine. At very high magnification, the reticle paradigm changes and a fine SFP is de rigueur, a must-have. But that's for another day; different purposes.

Reactions: UNRL Ghandi
I will point out that your definition of high magnification it very different from mine. At very high magnification, the reticle paradigm changes and a fine SFP is de rigueur, a must-have. But that's for another day; different purposes.
I figured that was the sticking point between you two.

Reactions: Denys
For me, the NF DMCx DMx reticle is serviceable @ 1× without illumination being used.

YMMV,
Keith

ETA- Spelling, reticle

Sure but that's in a LPVO and that being the case every reticle in a scope like this should be able to be plainly seen without illume on 1x. Or I should say I wouldn't buy a LPVO that didn't.

I'm tempted to buy this March 1.5-15 MPVO but the problem is my eyes don't abide super short scopes well. My 1-10 DFP, 3-24, and 5-42x56 all did this to me. However my 4-40 doesn't which I don't understand.
I kept the 1-10 anyway for more than a few other reasons but sold the 3-24 and 5-42.

Sure but that's in a LPVO and that being the case every reticle in a scope like this should be able to be plainly seen without illume on 1x. Or I should say I wouldn't buy a LPVO that didn't.

I'm tempted to buy this March 1.5-15 MPVO but the problem is my eyes don't abide super short scopes well. My 1-10 DFP, 3-24, and 5-42x56 all did this to me. However my 4-40 doesn't which I don't understand.
I kept the 1-10 anyway for more than a few other reasons but sold the 3-24 and 5-42.
I realize I am probably in the minority, but there are a few LPVO reticles I wouldn't be opposed to having in higher magnification scopes.
At the end of the day, I absolutely love scopes with 0.5 mil hashes. My brain splits that to .25 just fine and it keeps everything clean and fast.

I realize I am probably in the minority, but there are a few LPVO reticles I wouldn't be opposed to having in higher magnification scopes.
At the end of the day, I absolutely love scopes with 0.5 mil hashes. My brain splits that to .25 just fine and it keeps everything clean and fast.

Normally I prefer .2 mil hashes but in FFP scopes on low magnification they get lost a bit and if the reticle were thicker then they'd look too close together.

I'm fine with simple .5 mil reticles also. The Meopta Mildot 3 is my favorite so far and works on low power in my Optika6 5-30 but 5x isn't all that low. Same theme in a MPVO with a few of my personal ideas would work great. In a scope that will seldom be used for long range, mostly at medium, and some short range, I feel the less clutter the better. Want to shoot farther out then dial vs holding over.

At times I would like more than 10x or 12x on the top end in some of my scopes I've mentioned before - just because.

This, I am a 0.5 mil guy also.

This, I am a 0.5 mil guy also.
I was a big advocate of .2 mil reticles when the SKMR first came out but over the past couple years I have gone back to a more "simpler is better" approach, if done right I still think a .2 mil reticle can be very useful, but I do not think we are handicapped as much as we think we are with .5 mil reticles, it is more of a perception.

Reactions: Wade

View attachment 8294713

View attachment 8294741
I agree with your assessment that if the intent of this scope was to mostly use it at higher magnification and maybe have an offset RDS as a supplement, then the FFP reticle would be "better", but for best performance at low mag the DFP reticle is a really well done design. I too do not like the encroachment of the SFP reticle as you increase magnification, but only time will tell is this is really a hindrance in real world situations. So far it is an acceptable side effect of having a very bright fiber dot center for low mag use. If diffractive illumination were to be used in an MPVO that might even be better, but I am not sure as I do not know anyone who has done that yet - but hopefully coming.

Reactions: UNRL Ghandi
I was a big advocate of .2 mil reticles when the SKMR first came out but over the past couple years I have gone back to a more "simpler is better" approach, if done right I still think a .2 mil reticle can be very useful, but I do not think we are handicapped as much as we think we are with .5 mil reticles, it is more of a perception.
I like the .5 hashes because I almost never shoot statically. I shoot static to zero, to test loads and to confirm dope, all those things I hate and do as little as possible. When shooting and moving, positional shooting, shooting under pressure or hunting, splitting the half is waaaay easier on my brain and faster to compute.

Nowhere - I ordered it from Long Range Supply after I couldn't get an order in with Euro.

On reticles... you could do a lot worse than a March FML converted to a German #1 (remove the top post, point the others).

Glassaholic - Thank you for your post! I've been a lurker on this forum for over a decade, and it's posts like this that keep me coming back. I have a question for you.

I have the Athlon 2-12 on a high end PCP, in a setup I put to use weekly. Essentially, I'm very familiar with this scope on my fancy BB gun.

I now have the March 1.5-15 DFP (with revision) on a 14.5" JP LRI-20; which I haven't shot yet. Essentially, I own, but have no experience with, a setup you adults here would shoot.

I'm having a hell of a time warming up to the March and getting it to optically perform anywhere close to the Athlon at even 6x. I feel like something with the parallax is way off. The top of a tree at 60 yards takes setting the parallax to near infinity to get the same clarity the Athlon would set anywhere between the 20-80 yard marks (I know the yards aren't accurate just giving you a dial reference). You talked about it being less forgiving, but this seems excessive. Is your revised version also this wonky? I've verified my diopter setting several times; it's dialed in. Would love your thoughts.

Disclaimer: My approach here (and brianenos) is "shut up and learn from the pros". I'm more of a gun nerd, tinkerer, and collector than a shooter. Those reading this shouldn't put the same weight on my experience as others. I'm a man-child with cool toys; nothing more.

Disclaimer: My approach here (and brianenos) is "shut up and learn from the pros". I'm more of a gun nerd, tinkerer, and collector than a shooter. Those reading this shouldn't put the same weight on my experience as others. I'm a man-child with cool toys; nothing more.
The difference between you and 95% of shooters is self awareness, not skill or experience;-).

Glassaholic - Thank you for your post! I've been a lurker on this forum for over a decade, and it's posts like this that keep me coming back. I have a question for you.

I have the Athlon 2-12 on a high end PCP, in a setup I put to use weekly. Essentially, I'm very familiar with this scope on my fancy BB gun.

I now have the March 1.5-15 DFP (with revision) on a 14.5" JP LRI-20; which I haven't shot yet. Essentially, I own, but have no experience with, a setup you adults here would shoot.

I'm having a hell of a time warming up to the March and getting it to optically perform anywhere close to the Athlon at even 6x. I feel like something with the parallax is way off. The top of a tree at 60 yards takes setting the parallax to near infinity to get the same clarity the Athlon would set anywhere between the 20-80 yard marks (I know the yards aren't accurate just giving you a dial reference). You talked about it being less forgiving, but this seems excessive. Is your revised version also this wonky? I've verified my diopter setting several times; it's dialed in. Would love your thoughts.

I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with your March. As long as you can get a nice clean, in-focus picture of your target at whatever distance between 10 yards and infinity (and beyond...), you're good to go.

The side focus knob, (what many people refer to as the parallax), is used to focus the picture of your target (objective) onto the focal plane of the reticles (DFP). As we all know, the further an object is, the smaller the focus adjustment is required. Then again, the higher the magnification, the more critical the focus is. The March website has a plethora of articles about riflescopes in general and theirs in particular, dealing with various subjects like cleaning, focusing, setting up the eyepiece and so on.

Look in the section titled "Instructions" and get the focus paper and also the eyepiece paper.

In your example, the top of the tree at 60 yards: set the riflescope to 15X and you should be able to properly focus the image. Then, aim on a distant object and focus on that one. Finally, aim at an object at 10 yards and focus on that one. If you can properly focus on all these points, you're good to go.

Merry Christmas.

Reactions: DJL2

This sounds very similar to what I first went through when I got the updated reticle back, almost thought the parallax was bass akwards and thought my brain had finally lost it, @koshkin helped me out by doing the opposite of what we normally do to set diopter, not sure if it reset something in my brain but it fixed the wonky issue that I think was more user error than mechanical.

Reactions: Earnhardt
This sounds very similar to what I first went through when I got the updated reticle back, almost thought the parallax was bass akwards and thought my brain had finally lost it, @koshkin helped me out by doing the opposite of what we normally do to set diopter, not sure if it reset something in my brain but it fixed the wonky issue that I think was more user error than mechanical.
I actually just got back from being able to play with this at distance at my brother's (I live in an urban location so 100 yards was my limit previously).

It's all dialed in now. I could read smaller print on billboards 1000+ yards out just fine. Playing with the parallax at distance, I realized it's easy to go past the sweet spot, and reversing to try to find it again was more difficult than finding it going forward (if that makes any sense haha). So I went inside and used his white cabinet to check the diopter. Similar situation, I had overshot the sweet spot initially by ~.7.

I'm satisfied. Sure, I wish it was an optical upgrade over the Athlon above 10X, but honestly those Athlon's are impressive little dudes.

The range of the March is fantastic. At 1.5X it reminds me of my Elcan at 1X. Super clear edge to edge, nice bright dot. I'll be shocked if there's something better for a 50-600 yard gun any time soon. Hell, I'm more confident this will be fine at even 1000 than I am my skills and a .308 from a 14" barrel. :ROFLMAO: