• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have questions about which gun to buy?????

dansubeh

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
New York
Ok, I’m having a huge dilemma on what gun I would need to shoot at 800 to 1000 yards with. The first thing I want is pin point accuracy, (of course with hand loads), second I want a bullet that not going to drift or drop to bad...here is what I’m looking at buying. My three choices are the Remington 700 Long Range Tactical in a 300 Win Mag, Remington 700 Police Edition in 308, or the Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint in a 243.All guns have the heavy barrel and I don't care about the stock cause I'm going with the XLR Industries Evolution stock. Any input would be helpful???

Re: Have questions about which gun to buy?????

I would stick with a .243 or 6.5mm choices for 1k or less. Since you are going to hand load you should be able to achieve what you are looking for.

good luck

Rthur

Of those choices I vote 300 win mag

Stick with the 300 win,very forgiving and dead accurate.
Many bullets choices and good brass avail.

You'r going to shoot 800 right? The 300WM is a 1200 yard rifle with lots of recoil.
Your going to probably have to rebarrel after 1000 rounds plus or minus. You may not have to rebarrel a 308 for 5000 rounds plus or minus.
300WM ammo is expensive. Reloading helps, but reloading 308 is a lot cheaper.
308 shoots to 800 easy. 308 will shoot to 1000. Use 175 grn. projectiles.
Have you ever shot a 300WM? Not to bad except if you are going to shoot very many rounds in one session.
Whats your experience and background?
You can always sell the 300WM and buy a 308.
Tipy

Yes I have a Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag and love it. I also have a Bushmaster Varminter, (.223) and it's amazing!!! I have a .243 but no 308...the trouble I'm having is I already own a 300 win mag and a .243...if I buy a .308 I have to buy new dies and all new stuff to reload. Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending the $$$ on the stuff I just want to make sure that at most, 1000yds, I'm going to be dead nuts on. The other problem is I already have a small caliber (.223) and the .243 is close to that caliber too. They are both amazing rifles...I'm looking for punch and accuracy long range? But consistent on both punch and accuracy.

Why limit your choices to just those three cartridges? Personally, I would go with a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08. The .300 WM is just gong to beat you up on the bench, and is an expensive round to load. .243 certainly offers the best BC of the bunch, but you won't be able to shoot 115s with the factory twist Remington barrel. Plus, with those two, you are going to have to rebarrel every couple of thousand rounds. .308 is going to be the easiest to load for, but gets trumped ballistically by any of the aforementioned cartridges.

On the other hand, with the 6.5 or 7mm-08, you get higher BC's, less recoil, better barrel life, and are pretty easy to load. Of course, you are limited with factory chamberings in heavy barreled rifles with either, unless you go with a Savage. Savage has a great 1k yard ready rifle chambered in 6.5, and all reports indicate they are sub MOA rifles out of the box.

Think he's talking 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284 would have a barrel life worse than the .243

Savage is a definitely a good way to go. .308 offer cheap ammo but not great BC. 6.5 CM or .260 rem is a more popular way to go of late, but not if you don't reload.