• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have to say...mossberg really did it with the MVP

Cnewhouse48

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2013
St.hedwig tx
Picked up a mossberg MVP last night thunder ranch edition has 18.5 medium bull fluted barrel. Topped with vortex crossfire 6-18x44 I had laying around Caldwell bipod this little gun shoots!! First 20 rounds down the tube 10 factory and 10 hand loads just about every group was under Moa with the best being 5 shot 1/2". The bad stock feels a little cheap and slightly too short it has a little issue feeding but that is more than likely due to the feed ramp not being polished(yet) but over all I paid 400 for it BNIB and it was money well spent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
I've been wondering how well these worked. If you do some load development, please let us know how it works out.

Gee only 10 lbs 9 oz. That's a pretty fancy scale you have...Just kidding

A friend just bought one of those in 223 with laminate stock, seemed like a bargain.

I just got the .223 Varmit in with the benchrest style stock. I'm inly throwing a 4.5-10 Vortex Viper PST on it and we will see what happens. I have this one for test and review but I may just end up keeping it if I like it. So far my inly complaint is how sticky the bolt is, I slathered some Slide Glide on it to break it in and when I get ready to shoot I'll wipe it down and re-oil it with fireclean. I'm excited about this one though.

I have A thunder ranch and like it quite a bit . It really likes 53 grain amax and 62 grain barnes . It didnt shoot the 70 grain barnes worth a crap But they are a long bullet and I half way expected it . they lancer awm mags work great by the way .

Mine loves the 50gr V Max with 26.3 of Varget. Sub MOA all day long.....

Next step will be a LSS chassis for the little shooter.

Well I didn't do my research in-till after I bought my 75gr amaxes apparently they can't be loaded mag length... Oh well. Now just need to figure out my next approach.

I want one of the .223 variety with the bolt face opened up to .473 and rebarreled to a 16" suppressed .458 SOCOM.

That's just me though.

I love my .223 Varmint version. I use it as an economical plinker for my .308. My best group to date was .250 @ 100yds, I've gone out to 600yds but it was raining so I was only hitting steal, no paper. Loves 40 & 50gr Fiocchi V-Max.

All I've done is paint the stock and added a 4-16x56 Millett scope, pivoting bipod, and a check rest/pouch.

image_zps5f6856e6.jpg

My MVP Predator is the 20" 5.56 sporter with the fluted barrel. I added a Bushnell AR Optic 223 BDC scope, identical to the one on my 16 Bull Upper.

I tested ammo at 75, 100, and 200yd yesterday to see whether the rifle is accurate enough to use with Winchester Power Maxx and Federal Fusion MSR 'deer'/medium game loads, using a bipod/rear bag off the bench.

The Power Maxx was pretty ballpark-ish OK (patterning about 4"-5", centered 3"-4" high at 200yd), but the Fusion provided some of the best accuracy I've seen from the rifle to date. The BDC aiming dots for 100yd and 200yd delivered hits within an inch or two of POA, and the 100yd dot worked for hits within an inch at 75yd. The rifle had already been nominally sighted in at 200yd with PPU 69gr Match, and no adjustment were needed for the Fusion rounds; the Power Maxx was hitting 1.5 MOA higher at 200yd.

The rifle can deliver the mail in a reliable manner, the remaining question is whether the ammo can deliver reliable terminal performance. Will try the rounds on something less noteworthy than a trophy buck before deer season.

If this all works out, I should end up with a very portable alternative deer rifle to my M70 .30-'06.

Greg

Last edited:
I bought my boys each one of Mossberg's Super Bantam ATR in .308. They appear to use the same action as the MVP and both are shooters. My boys are 8 and 10. I handload 125 SGK and 125 SST for them. I spin the 125SGK out at around 3000 and the 125SST works best at around 2800. My oldest can hold moa or better and my 8 y/o is real close, maybe 1.25. Pretty good for a $350 rifle. I used an old Millet on one and an old Nikon on the other. Bought stocks from Boyds (Prairie Hunter). works well.

My MVP Predator is the 20" 5.56 sporter with the fluted barrel. I added a Bushnell AR Optic 223 BDC scope, identical to the one on my 16 Bull Upper.

I tested ammo at 75, 100, and 200yd yesterday to see whether the rifle is accurate enough to use with Winchester Power Maxx and Federal Fusion MSR 'deer'/medium game loads, using a bipod/rear bag off the bench.

The Power Maxx was pretty ballpark-ish OK (patterning about 4"-5", centered 3"-4" high at 200yd), but the Fusion provided some of the best accuracy I've seen from the rifle to date. The BDC aiming dots for 100yd and 200yd delivered hits within an inch or two of POA, and the 100yd dot worked for hits within an inch at 75yd. The rifle had already been nominally sighted in at 200yd with PPU 69gr Match, and no adjustment were needed for the Fusion rounds; the Power Maxx was hitting 1.5 MOA higher at 200yd.

The rifle can deliver the mail in a reliable manner, the remaining question is whether the ammo can deliver reliable terminal performance. Will try the rounds on something less noteworthy than a trophy buck before deer season.

If this all works out, I should end up with a very portable alternative deer rifle to my M70 .30-'06.

Greg

the barnes 62 grain tsx seems to shoot very well out of my mvp and from past experience will put the smack down on deer .

Thanks. jwb47. Your comment adds something to my level of confidence.

I am assuming semo equates to SE MO, which is pertinent. Here in CNY deer tend to run a bit bigger; something about the additional body mass providing increased Winter survival potential. I am also assuming deer in your area are subject to the same conditions. I know what they say about assumptions but one can still hope.

Greg