• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have We Forgotten?

Re: Have We Forgotten?

good article. The pic of the person falling is very emotionally stirring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have We Forgotten?</div></div>

No

When I was watching TV that day and saw those people jumping to their deaths, has never left my thoughts to this day. It is like it was just yesterday. I will never forget, I will never forgive.

I was doing construction at Terminal C at Newark Airport. Company I worked for also had a job @ Broadway & Vesey. Had to go there about 2 weeks after and flush the cooling tower out on the roof from all the debris. The smell in the air was something I will never forget, saw it all from across the river, watch the rest on the news. So, no, I will never forget.

I have not forgotten. Nor my wife, my children, my family and anyone in ear shot of my annoying voice.

I saw this link in the comments and it brought back the unity most of us felt during the grim aftermath of that awful day;

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Vx37Jp-z1c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Vx37Jp-z1c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'll never forget. I was on AD, that day changed the world in ways we've yet to see. Just the other day a few of us at work were discussing 9/11 and sharing stories of where each one of us was. I'll never forget from now until the end of my existence.

We will never forget, pictures and moments of that day are something that will forever be etched in my memory.

Yeah, I'll never forget, either.

As an aside though, it occurred to me, this: How many US citizens fall into the category of "they haven't forgotten, because they haven't acknowledged the importance to begin with"?

Apathy is a huge enemy, and who has it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many US citizens fall into the category of "they haven't forgotten, because they haven't acknowledged the importance to begin with"?
</div></div>

They do this year, normally the media used it as a POTUS bashing tool.

Suddenly it's cool to be patriotic and remember. - And for those that never have been patriotic it's like going to church on Easter and acting the Christian part.

I haven't, never will! My wife and I have a facebook page together. There's like 300 friends on there. I was looking at it a few minutes ago and the vast majority of them were posting their normal everyday crap. Only a couple of them posted anything about it being 9/11. When I saw that it made me realize that most people don't remember, or probably very rarely think about it. Most of them probably never stop to think about the severity of it! The majority of people in this country make me sick!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Suddenly it's cool to be patriotic and remember. - And for those that never have been patriotic it's like going to church on Easter and acting the Christian part. </div></div>

This is too true.

I won't forget.

I was just coming out of the subway train at Bowling Green when the first plane hit. When I reached the escalator, every person within sight was looking straight up. I figured it was a building fire (I didn't hear the first one, only saw the smoke).

The second plane hit while I was walking South on State St. to my office. Loudest thing I've ever heard, like rolling thunder. People started running in every direction, it was actually a little funny at the time. I thought to myself "gas tank exploded wherever the fire is". Bought coffee and a bagel and went to work.

Once I got to my office at 4 New York Plaza I heard the news. The stories that morning were all over the place - bombers, gunfights in times square, eight more planes in the air. People were having open discussions about the relative heights of buildings downtown, and trying to determine if we were 'safe'. It was surreal. The building security was not letting anyone out or in, and we were all pretty pissed off about not being allowed to leave.

I was looking out a window with a member of my team towards Battery Park. As if on queue, every person in sight started running south. The smoke started boiling out of every street faster than people could react. If you've ever poured milk into coffee in a clear container, that is what it looked like to me. It went from early morning sunshine to pitch black in just a minute or two. We could see dust accumulating on the window sill outside like snow. At that moment, nobody was complaining about being locked in the building, I assure you.

It took about half an hour for the smoke to clear. The results looked like a moon landing. Lower Manhattan was greyish-brownish-white. Shortly after that, the other tower fell and we were blacked-out again.

They evacuated us about an hour after the second tower fell. Only emergency services vehicles were on the road. It was a surreal experience. We were instructed to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge up Water St. Volunteers were already handing out bottles of water and wet paper towels to help with the dust.

When I got to the Bridge, it had been closed due to falling debris. The new route was to the Manhattan Bridge up Water and then on the Bowery. The view from the bridge was unbelievable and unforgettable.

I headed straight for the LIRR station at Atlantic Avenue and with some measure of luck picked the right door. The first train East left around 3pm and I was on it. I got home in time to catch the evening news.

I've heard many people dramatize their experiences of that day, and it pisses me off. There were plenty of people in harms way for real, and many more putting themselves in harms way to help others. I was never in any danger, and it was more confusing than terrifying at the time. We simply couldn't believe that the buildings came down.

The 9/11 conspiracy crowd still gets more press than the Obama birthers do. For many Americans, it's worse than having forgotten, there's a sickeningly large segment of the American population that never cared to begin with. At least not enough to support taking the measures necessary to prevent it happening again.

I haven't. I watched the second plane hit on live TV feed while I was at work, and then I learned in the next few days that my first boss out of college had been on the 93rd floor of 2 (South Tower) World Trade Center.

baxterjasper.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 9/11 conspiracy crowd still gets more press than the Obama birthers do. For many Americans, it's worse than having forgotten, there's a sickeningly large segment of the American population that never cared to begin with. At least not enough to support taking the measures necessary to prevent it happening again. </div></div>

Dobsie,

I couldn't agree more. I had a guy working for me today who insisted it was C4 that brought the buildings down...

This is a decent guy who has been largely unemployed for the last 8 months, whose wife died three years ago and just found out his 6 years in the Air Force do not qualify him for VA health coverage because he was in the reserves at the time of his service (Not sure I buy this).

So for the most part, I bit my tongue.

I tried, but failed, to convince him that steel does not need anywhere near the heat required to melt it in order for it to lose sufficient temper to fail in it's structural integrity.

Why is this so hard for people, especially those employed in the construction industry for over thirty years, to understand.

Is it possible that Jack Nicholson's character was right? They can't handle the truth?

Don't let the media fool you. The majority of americans still rememeber and will never forget that horrific day. The idiot politicians and elite media may not give a shit, but the real americans (70%) do care and would fight to save this great country. God Bless America!!!

How many people remember anything other than the name Pearl Harbor much less it's significance? So while most of us remember 9/11 today the vast majority of us (us being the U.S.) will relegate 9/11 to the shadows of forgotten history soon enough.

I went New York City to visit a friend who was attending NYU. During my stay, my friend said, "your here, you might as well visit the World Trade Center".
So, off we walked from NYU to the WTC. The shear size of the towers stood out in the city like a mountain peak, hard to comprehend if you weren't fortunate enough to see them in person. Upon arriving, he convinced me into going up on the roof to view the city and Statue of Liberty. I was hesitant at first because I didn't want to wait in line for a ticket, security check, and a respect of heights. After stepping into the elevator my thoughts were, First, it was the largest elevator I had ever seen or been in. Secondly, if there were a fire and someone were either handicaped or elderly, they were not going to get out alive. I never imagined that within two weeks, both of the WTC towers would be destroyed. God Bless those who lost their lives, loved ones on 09-11-2001 and for those who served in Afghanistan!

Forget ..... NEVER!

I have a problem; the things I wish to forget I cannot, and those that I want to remember stay with me. REMEMBER! I watched Blackhawk Down with a bottle of Glenlivet, and the only thing dry is the bottle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a problem; the things I wish to forget I cannot, and those that I want to remember stay with me. REMEMBER! I watched Blackhawk Down with a bottle of Glenlivet, and the only thing dry is the bottle.</div></div>
Any time I need a good catharsis, Black Hawk Down is my go-to movie.

When I saw the Towers fall as a sophomore at Duke, I knew that before I did anything else in my life, I wanted to do my part in the military. The week after I graduated college, I was in the recruiter's office, a month later I'd signed my contract, and two months after that, I left for Ft Benning's infantry AIT. Nothing factored more significantly into my decision to join the military than 9/11. I will never, can never, forget.

This country is full of people who look for someone else to do their dirty work and to deal with the problems so they can forget what the problems are. People these days are not connected as a country of people. People in California see what happens in New York but cant relate because its 3000 miles away. Its not like we are all 1 nation anymore. With the media able to bring live war coverage from Iraq or Afghan, a sunami from Indonesia, an airliner crash in the congo, its all live and streaming now. It becomes a part of everyday life so much that people are no longer interested in it. They dont want to listen to it. We can tune out or turn off what doesnt interst us. Most Americans are more Liberal than Conservative and the Liberals lose interest in yesterdays news even if it does mean 3000 people were killed in an attack on our country. Thats 9 year old news to them. We have people right here in our country taking hostages and killing people at their work almost weekly. Just yesterday at the KRAFT plant. Beer distribution center 2 weeks ago. Thats not news to most people because it does not interrupt their Starbucks coffee, the hair appointment, the nails being done, the spa treatment or their ability to do what they want. September 11th 2001, everything was interrupted so people had to stop and look around. Now everything is "normal" again so people dont bother to interrupt their busy schedules. There are real "Americans" and then there are the other people who live here amoung US....

SP

An oldie but goody, particularly in light of the hand wringers and ditherers who won't stop the thing that least belongs at GROUND ZERO (It's close enough...), or what to call the assholes who did it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9SgbWkeHxq0&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9SgbWkeHxq0&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most Americans are more Liberal than Conservative...
SP </div></div>

Actually, every statistic, poll, study or official statement on that topic I have ever seen indicates that the exact opposite is true. I suspect it is trending toward a more liberal worldview on the whole, but last I knew, we hadn't crossed that line yet.