• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Have you ever mounted scope so low that you can see the muzzle through the scope?

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
By and large, I like to mount my scopes as low as possible, especially if i don't have a stock with an adjustable comb.

In any event, my latest project is a T/C Icon action (which has milled-in two-piece pic rail sections) which I had fitted with a 26" barrel. Beyond that, I have a muzzle brake which adds probably another 1.5 inches or so. To mount the scope (a 1st gen Sig 3-18), I picked Burris Signature low rings because I wanted to be able to dial in some slope (20 MOA) to the scope installation. Normally I'd use a 20 MOA base, but because the pic rail sections are milled into the action its self, that wasn't an option.

Anyhow, after getting everything installed, I noticed that I can see the muzzle in the bottom portion of my view through the scope. It's not far enough into the view that it obstructs any of the reticle, and it's only visible at the extreme low end of the zoom range (3-4x). By the time I'm at 5x or better, I can't see it any more... until I install the can. Once I install the can, I have to zoom in to about 9x before I can't see it any more (again, though, at no point does it obstruct any of the reticle).

I'm not posting all this just because I need something to do... but to ask if there is any sort of drawback to this situation? I can certainly correct for it by swapping out the inserts in the rings to dial in less slope, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of it unless I have to.

Happened to me once , Savage 111 long range hunter , 20 MOA rail, forget which rings , 1st gen PST . I could see the top of the brake in the bottom of the scope with a 100 yard zero. Didn't cause any problems, just odd .

I can see my silencer through my thermal, that’s the only thing I have that’s wide enough.

I see handguards on AR's all the time. Never caused any problems.

Saw the muzzle flash of my 7RM through a 3-20 S&B set on about 15x this year when I shot my bull. Never really noticed my muzzle though. I will have to look next time.

This is interesting because a lot of guys with LPV on their AR with FSB dont even see the FSB when their magnification is at 4 or 6.

On my rifle; ARC M5, ARC low 30mm rings, 30 MOA rail, 28" barrel, and 9" SRT .30 cal magnum can, I see the can pretty bad past about 1200yd. I have shot it to 1700-1800yd, and there is significant obstruction of my view through the lower half of the optic, gets worse the further out you go because you're trying to look through the can. It still works, you can still see the target, but it's got a tan fog to it (FDE Cerakote and coyote can cover).