• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have you ever seen a suppressor make this much difference?

JohnDeereGuy1996

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
So was having issues with a rifle not shooting very good. To minimize variables (me) and to make sure I could still shoot groups I brought out my trusty atx that’s always been extremely accurate for me. I’ve always shot the atx suppressed but thinking nothing of it as the can I use on it was on another rifle I headed to the back yard with out the can.
Shooting two 5 shot groups of hornady 140 eldm factory match I was disgusted. Both groups being over an inch when it usually puts it in one ragged hole. At this point I’m thinking I just can’t shoot anymore and something is up. Buying two more boxes of match ammo (Winchester and hornady 147 eldm) I have a tad better results that make it just under an inch. On a whim I decided to go grab my dead air sandman that I usually use to see if that helped at all. Did it ever.
CAP_51FB8AB3-4D13-4250-9887-50588F52C8B1.jpeg

Top group is no sandman. Bottom is with sandman. The top group has an extra shot because with the can attached I didn’t think poi would be the same. Bottom is 4 shots. This was 140 grn Winchester match.

IMG_9317.jpeg

Top group is no sandman bottom is with sandman. I believe I pulled that shot on the bottom group. This is with 147 grn eldm

Anyone else seen a can make a rifle shoot that much better? I find it hard to believe it shoots that bad without the sandman attached. Barrel harmonics are real lol
IMG_9144.png

For reference the last time I had the atx out using 140 grn eldm match I shot this 7 shot group including cold bore. Obviously I also had my can attached.

Maybe not that big of difference, but do have guns, and have had loads, that seemed to shoot better either with or without a can.

A suppressor is part of the 'tuning fork' that I think best describes the effect on a barrel when a round is fired. It can have both positive and negative effects, just like adding anything else to a barrel (brake etc...). It is complicated to explain briefly, but sometimes it will add to the consistency of barrel whip in relation to bullet exit...and sometimes it does the opposite. Also, a suppressor reduces recoil as well as concussion to the shooter - frequently reducing the human factor into equation.

Plenty of videos out there showing some pretty drastic results when suppressors or brakes were added/removed.

Reactions: Aftermath
My loads have always shot fairly similar with can on or off, with a slight change in POI.

One argument is that the weight on the end of the barrel aids in precision. I also think that the reduction in concussion to the shooter can make a huge difference in how the shooter interacts with the rifle .

Reactions: Johnerz and Pete B
I’ve seen slight differences for sure but never that drastic. Makes me for sure realize to not do load development without the can.

I also agree it helps with the human error part of the equation. I tend to be much more comfortable shooting suppressed as everyone is I suppose. I’ve still never seen that much variance.

Does make me a little disappointed in the atx though. Guess I’ll never take the can off.

Barrel tuners work with moving a little weight millimeters imagine moving over a pound of weight over 7"

I'm sure it has an effect.

I have only had one that had a drastic change in group size but it was drastic and it was better with the can

I bought a case of cheap PPU 243 Win ammo for a plinking around and it shot 1.5" groups at 100. I put the can on the rifle and they shrunk to 5/8.

I got tired of load development with the suppressor.

All my load data is based off of me shooting a brake now. I do check 3 shot strings suppressed to see how bad the offset and spread is but I think the only reason the effect is mitigated is because of the stiff barrel (26" heavy varmint). The group opens up but not by much. I went from a 0.4" group to a 0.78" and offset to an inch up and to the right of the bullseye. As a novice reloader on a 7PRC, I'll take those numbers all day long.