• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have you guys ever tried Benchrest? Here are pics

Re: Have you guys ever tried Benchrest? Here are pics

Huh....: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...231#Post1273231

Just shot a 3.923" five shot group with this rifle at 1000yrds yesterday to win small group. I am really getting into shooting for small groups and score. I have shot at lots of long range targets where just hitting it counted...this is a whole new game...and lots of fun.

Take care,Stan

I'm into long range tactical shooting using a bipod or field pack.

Not that I don't respect the discipline of benchrest, because I do. It takes quite a bit of gun and quite a bit of time reloading to compete. Its simply not my bag of tea.

Thats why I hang out here, instead of someplace like 6mmBR.

I sat in the stands and watched it once, does that count?

There's more BR guys here than you think. We just switch between Tactical & BR.

wiptns.jpg

1zd3aza.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do they have to be so flashy? </div></div>

why not? why do rifles here need to be camo'd when the users will most likely never have to hide from anyone/anything. it's just a different color of flashiness.

I dont think Id ever have the patience for BR shooting but maybe someday ill get into it. Either way its the only way Il be able to live out my fantasy of a fully chromed weapon and not get shunned lol

I admit to being interested in benchrest shooting.

Personally, I get more satisfaction banging on far off steel, in a gusty wind, than I do punching holes in paper. I also prefer positional shooting, in ways I hadn't previously considered (ie. during a match).

Benchrest is always in the back of my mind as an alternative sport to consider should my range availability change.

didn't I just see this tackdriver post on Benchrest Central?
Hmmmmm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I get more satisfaction banging on far off steel, in a gusty wind, than I do punching holes in paper. I also prefer positional shooting, in ways I hadn't previously considered.</div></div>

100% agreed.

Paper just doesn't have the same ring to it. hehehe

Benchrest is too damn hard. When I go to a BR match I am just a participant, usually finishing in the midst of the pack. F-class is a lot lot easier, if my gun is working I am usually in the hunt.
I dabble in BR and may go to the Nationals this year, but do not really expect to win any HOF points.

Banging steel is more fun.
Smaller the better, just to screw with the BR guy's.To target, adds several winds.

Hitting a bird at 600 or a 1000 should be easy.
(paper sighters)

Poooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww!.................nothing

Poooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww!.................Banggggg!

Hell thats obvious to me which one is more fun.

Congrats BgBmBoo, that's pretty impressive.

Some peoples fun is shooting small groups and some are hitting steel. The BR guys can always shoot steel if they want to like the BR guys at my local 1000 range. They shoot one Saturday of every month and they shoot steel (really small steel) at 1000. The person with the most hits win.

Steel is more fun... but there are a lot of ranges out there that won't let you shoot at steel. All the long ranges around here, you can only shoot at paper. The one range that does let you shoot at steel is made for pistols only and that's about 75 miles away.

Nothing wrong with bench rest. A lot of the reloading techniques have been developed by BR shooters.

I'd venture to guess that a lot of the science that makes tactical shooting as accurate as it is, was developed in and around BR shooting. It takes some serious skill and patience to do what they do.

The 1000yrd BR match I shot in this last Sat. has steel targets between the target stands for sighting in. They also have clay birds on the berm.

I start with the steel...then move to the clay birds.

Here is a pic of my winning group (3.923") and of the range....look at the flags...a bit windy.

Take care,Stan

Nice shooting stan!! I am thinking about building a 1000 yard gun. I just cant deceide on cal. I have a 6x47L that is my 600 yard rig. I also have a 30br Jon Beanland is getting ready to complete. that will be my score gun. I will either do another 6dasher or a 6.5x47L. We will see. I have been using lawtons 7500 actions and they are tops. the remind me a lot of a BAT action for a tab bit over half the price. They are a real value. Lee

Hi Lee.
Heck...use your 6X47....that thing is very close to the 6XC. There are a couple of guys around here that use the 6X47 for 1000yrds. One of the gents won best target in this last match with one.

The 6mm Dasher is another round that looks good. Again...a gent at the last 1000yrd and 600yrd won both with a Dasher.

Take care,Stan

i've tried it, but feel that it is more of an equipment game that takes alot of the shooting ability out of the mix. i don't mean to knock any shooting sport, or piss anyone off, but when i participated in it and seen that the folks around me weren't even touching the rifle or looking through the scope while they were firing, it kinda put me off. not my cup of tea. i realize that when it comes to reading the wind, the benchrest guys are extremely proficient. i prefer silhoutte.

The only thing that really turned me off to it around here are some of the guys I talked to. They're just so full of themselves that you can't carry on a conversation without hearing "I did this, or I did that". Don't get me wrong I have no problem with someone being proud of their accomplishments, but it gets old when you're trying to have a conversation and it keeps going back to that. I know all BR guys aren't like that, but the majority of them around here are.

That attitude is not limited to bench rest. Most of the folks I have talked with at the matches were very easy going and helpful.

Same for the tactical and F class shoots I have attended. Most of the guys are good guys...there are assholes in any groups...I just stay away from those types.

Take care,Stan

I have actually competed here in my home town in quite a few matches and last year I placed 1st and 2nd in two different end of the year championship matches. This was all done with my super duper benchrest rig.. My rig is a (Gap Crusader in .308)!! LOL I beat guys with dedicated rigs shooting 6mmbr's and a whole bunch of other weird benchrest calibers I dont know shit about.

NOLO

What was worst of an insult was my buddy shooting his factory remmy 5r cut and crowned by me and just dumped in a AI 2.0 stock finished 2nd!! Oh and he was shooting off a fucking bipod..

There were some pissed off people here for sure!!

I own a nice 6BR light gun on an R700. It shoots well but i just started thinking to myself "what the hell am I doing". I felt like i was wasting ammo. I like the practical side of tactical shooting. There is nothing in the shooting sports like hitting an UKD target way out there.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my BR rifle. It is definately one of the step children in my safe, right next to my Ruger Varmint rifle.

Stan, I can't believe you dumped your SRS for a BR rig! Good for you for finding something you like though. I think you'll be back though! ha ha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a nice 6BR light gun on an R700. It shoots well but i just started thinking to myself "what the hell am I doing". I felt like i was wasting ammo. I like the practical side of tactical shooting. There is nothing in the shooting sports like hitting an UKD target way out there.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my BR rifle. It is definately one of the step children in my safe, right next to my Ruger Varmint rifle.

Stan, I can't believe you dumped your SRS for a BR rig! Good for you for finding something you like though. I think you'll be back though! ha ha </div></div>

I still do some tactical shooting... It just is not my thing right now. I like shooting tiny groups waaayyyy out there. Nothing like shooting clay pigeons at 1000yrds to get sighted in.
I flip flop all around when it comes to guns....in a few months I might be back at handguns or ???

Take care,Stan

If your like me you have no choice as to what discipline to shoot. there is benchrest in my area and benchrest!! There are no tactical matches for hundreds of miles in every direction. I to like long range group shooting. the 100 yard stuff doesnt get me all that excited, but there again not much to choose from around here. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That attitude is not limited to bench rest. Most of the folks I have talked with at the matches were very easy going and helpful.

Same for the tactical and F class shoots I have attended. Most of the guys are good guys...there are assholes in any groups...I just stay away from those types.

Take care,Stan </div></div>

You're exactly right Stan. Even as great as this sight is, there have been some of those people on here. What's wrong with shooting tiny groups anyway? UKD is great, but being able to read the wind and keep your groups small at 1000yd is not easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do they have to be so flashy? </div></div>

So people don't mistake them for weapons.

wink.gif