• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Having second thoughts.....

Blushin

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2014
Bethany Beach, DE
hey all,

so ive recently started building up my remington 700 SPS AAC-SD and now that ive got parts coming in im second guessing one of my previous purchases. i bought a larue 20 MOA one piece steel base but after reading a bunch of stuff im second guessing it. is this going to work perfectly or am i stupid for not getting a base with a recoil lug built in like the USO option? the reason i bought the base from larue was because their workmanship is second to none and their tolerances are some of the best in the business but it completely slipped my mind when ordering about the recoil lug. is this going to come back to bite me in the end or will it work perfectly fine? i just dont want to end up loosing precision due to the base after ive put all the other work into the gun.

thanks
phill

I wouldn't run a base without a lug but that's me. Especially when the weaver is $30 and has a lug.

Have seen many builds using cheap Weaver base and nice rings with no issues. I use Weaver base and Seekins rings but my rifles aren't subjected to enough abuse to comment on durability.

Problem I've found is you'll see so many people say they have never had a problem with a certain setup but most don't use it hard enough for that to mean anything. I don't baby my rifles by any means but am not hard enough on them to expect problems from a base.

I wouldn't run a base without a lug but that's me. Especially when the weaver is $30 and has a lug.
I've a very, very light 600 Remington with a 16" pencil barrel topped with a 2.5X8 leupold with cheap ass weaver rings and a cheap weaver base. From the bench no one wants to shoot more than 5 rds at a setting. In 40+ years of shooting 180gr Silver-tips that setup has never lost it's zero. It's been many places on this rock, and filled the freezer time and time again with one shot. The difference between Real vs Tacticool, is perception, only .

sounds like i should be good to go, this thing is only going to be used for target shooting and on occasion deer and fox hunting. thanks for all the comments guys

haha, i dont think i will have any issues with it. larue obviously made it that way for a reason and they make outstanding products, i highly doubt they would sell something they thought would fail. worst that will happen is i will use it for a while, realize its faults or plus's and then either keep it or order one along the lines of the USO or nightforce.

A lug won't do anything useful anyhow unless it is making solid, tight contact. Neither the bases nor the rings are made to tolerances tight enough for this to happen reliably. If you must, pin it properly with a close tolerance pin. But the picatinny rail isn't the near interference fit required for a lug to do it's job anyhow, so I wouldn't bother. Torque will solve all of these problems - friction is doing what you want all by itself.

No one ever gives it a thought when using any other ring and base system. Now it's a one piece base and it is now questionable? The lugged bases are more of a combat thing. Where you throw it off a cliff then have to rely on holding zero. Short of throwing it off a cliff you should be good to go. It will be fine.