• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Having trouble deciding on a barrel.

BadAtGuns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2014
I'm having some trouble deciding which barrel would be best for my precision LR AR-15 build. I'd appreciate some advice/help.

These are the ones I've been considering for awhile:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2265

White Oak Armament | AR15 Barrels | 20 inch .223 Varmint Barrel | 1 in 8 Twist with fitted Gas Manifold

White Oak Armament | AR15 Barrels | 24 inch .223 Varmint Barrel | 1 in 8 Twist with fitted Gas Manifold

With the WOA barrels I can get a matched bolt for ~$55 extra. I'm not sure if the noveske barrel comes with a bolt or not.

Thanks.

I have had really good luck with the White Oak barrels. The Noveske does not come with a bolt, you can purchase the WO and a bolt and it will still be much less than the Noveske. IMO, 24" is just too long for a AR15 platform, 20 is plenty. Also check out the DMR barrels from White Oak, a little more $$ but very nice, 1/7 thought if I recall.

I would take a WOA over Noveske at the moment. Accuracy and quality is just as good if not better and frankly CS has been slipping with Noveske...

Another vote for the WOA barrels, awesome barrels for the money. I run two 16" and they're really good with heavy .224 bullets. They have a post ban 20" service rifle barrel that's not fluted or threaded that could be worth a look too. Accuracy differences between a threaded muzzle vs. unthreaded is subjective in my opinion, plenty of guys run pre-ban configuration service rifle barrels and do quite well.

I was pretty impressed with the WOA DMR barrel I installed on my brothers rifle earlier this year.

WOA, Lothar Walther with the matched bolt, or the Rainier Ultra Match. I just don't see the need for anything longer than 18" personally, I've had no issue with targets out to 800 with the current Rainier barrel that I've been trying out. Only have about 600-800 rounds through it right now last time I looked. It's been a solid barrel and with the 90 satisfaction guarantee it's hard to not consider it.

I have a WOA DMR barrel in a Mega monolith build of mine. It is an absolute tack driver. No regrets at all.

14680058828_7fba3f1f42_b.jpg

I'd also look at the rainier ultra match barrels.
Shilen blank finished by WOA, my SPR barrel is a real shooter.

Another thing to consider with the WOA 18" Fluted varmint upper is perfectly balanced right in front of the magazine well as you see it in the picture. It is also very accurate.

Attachments

• P5210004.jpg
    P5210004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 33
18" JP light contour, comes with spaced bolt as well. Hard to beat.

I'll let you know how my 24" STAG/CMT $200
images
0.5MOA

piece of pipe does once I get up on the farm within a few weeks. Syrac Ordnance's growth pains has been a PITA to me.

P1010233_zps8a9d92d6.jpg

Imo, 20inch 1:8 is perfect

I'm having some trouble deciding which barrel would be best for my precision LR AR-15 build. I'd appreciate some advice/help.

These are the ones I've been considering for awhile:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2265

White Oak Armament | AR15 Barrels | 20 inch .223 Varmint Barrel | 1 in 8 Twist with fitted Gas Manifold

White Oak Armament | AR15 Barrels | 24 inch .223 Varmint Barrel | 1 in 8 Twist with fitted Gas Manifold

With the WOA barrels I can get a matched bolt for ~$55 extra. I'm not sure if the noveske barrel comes with a bolt or not.

Thanks.

200-300 yards.

Oh, not to crack on you, but that isn't exactly long range even for the .223.

You'll be fine with a 16" in a less expensive barrel. I say that to say, if I was you I'd go the cheaper then the lighter of your choices.

Unless you're trying to tighten up your already tiny groups.

If you're looking to spend money in a rig you can eventually stretch out to 1100 yards on paper, I'd spend the money on a well built Grendel. If you want to potentially stretch it out further I'd go the heavier AR10 platform or bolt gun.

For your current build I suggest a quality SS 12.5" -18" barrel in a light to med contour. Save the money and spend it on a quality upper receiver, trigger, glass, etc...

Oh, not to crack on you, but that isn't exactly long range even for the .223.

You'll be fine with a 16" in a less expensive barrel. I say that to say, if I was you I'd go the cheaper then the lighter of your choices.

Unless you're trying to tighten up your already tiny groups.

If you're looking to spend money in a rig you can eventually stretch out to 1100 yards on paper, I'd spend the money on a well built Grendel. If you want to potentially stretch it out further I'd go the heavier AR10 platform or bolt gun.

For your current build I suggest a quality SS 12.5" -18" barrel in a light to med contour. Save the money and spend it on a quality upper receiver, trigger, glass, etc...

Mainly my goal is tiny groups and shooting at tiny targets. I'd like to take it out further if I can find a range around here that has something that long.

I actually looked into the grendel platform when I decided to build a precision LR AR, but ditched the idea because I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on ammo, and none of the ranges around me are long enough to be worth going grendel over .223. I also have my lower already built (built it two days ago!), so AR-10 is out of the question.

Ammo cost? Match grade ammo is roughly the same cost is it not?

If your goal is tiny groups, you really need to hand load specifically for your barrel. The Grendel brass is a little more expensive, everything else is roughly the same cost.

You are right, .223 will be sufficient for your ranges.

Noevske makes great rifles and accurate barrels. However, I do not think their price reflects their accuracy gain over WOA or any other mid-high end match barrel. For Noveske money, I'd be buying a Krieger, Lilja, or something from Compass Lake.

WOA makes great barrels for the price. To get any better, you will have to look at compaies that start with custom rifle barrel blanks.

Would it matter if a national record was set with a WOA barrel at camp perry a few weeks ago? Skip the noveske...

I have a WOA 20" DMR barrel in 1/7 and shoot hand loads (LC brass, 24gr RE-15, 77gr SMK) with excellent results. My WOA 16" has no problem ringing steel at 600 yards even with commercial ammo. I hope this helps, keep us posted.