• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hawke, Redfield, Falcon menace

zlman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2012
Fukulookinat, MN.
I was fairly certain I was getting a Redfield revenge 6-18 when they come out but after looking at the Hawke sidewinder, I'm wondering if that might be a better option for me. Falcon menace price wise could be an option but I'm not sure.
This will be going on a back-up AR when we are p-dogging, otherwise its life will be spent punching paper. 100-400 yds.
I know the Redfield isn't out yet but I would expect it to be comparable to there current offerings glass wise.
Any thoughts on which would be the better option for some budget glass?

Re: Hawke, Redfield, Falcon menace

I have owned a few Redfields and they are great glass, made by Leupold here in the USA, and rock solid warranty. That being said, the redfields are great "hunting" scopes. As the reticles are moa and BDC. The Falcon is FFP, mil/mil and may serve better for shooting different distances using your dope card.

Then again, there is that thing about buying scopes named after birds of prey.

For a bit more in price you can pick up a used Vortex here on the hide with a transferable VIP warranty.

I recently looked through a Redfield, if memory serves, it was a 4-12 model.
I thought the glass sucked. I could not see spending any amount of time looking through it. I'm certain it would cause severe eyestrain and a headache.

I have two Hawke Sidewinder 30s one on my 308 the other on my 338 Lapua. They are second focal plane and they are very accurate and the warranty is good. They were not very well known, now they have exploded across the market. I know they are working on a first focal plane line. They are tough as nails. Check out this post on the hide.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...091#Post2457091

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently looked through a Redfield, if memory serves, it was a 4-12 model.
I thought the glass sucked. I could not see spending any amount of time looking through it. I'm certain it would cause severe eyestrain and a headache.</div></div>

Not for you huh? I looked through a 4-12 also and compared to a simular powered nikon I thought it was very comparable and I actually liked the eye box better, seemed much more forgiving on eye relief. I wish I could find some Hawkes locally to look through.

I have not looked through a Redfield or Falcon. I did purchase a new Hawke Sidewinder 30 3-12x50 in 11/2011 for $239. I have shot aproximately 120-150 rounds with the scope on a Savage 270 with no problems. For my 53 year old eyes the glass is good, the eye relief is excellent, and the scope has held zero. I did send the scope back for warenty work in 2/2012 because the windage turret would not lock/unlock. Customer service was excellent. The scope works well for my needs....I shoot paper out to 400 yards and hunt mule deer when drawn for a rifle tag here in Western North Dakota

Anyone know the difference between the sr6 and sr12 Hawke reticles? Is one a 600 yd bdc and the other 1200 yd? Their website doesn't give any details.

It has more increments on the recticle for longer shots. I have the standard round mil-dot recticle on my 308 and have no problems hitting steel at 900yds with it. The new 1/2 mil-dot I really like which I have on my Lapua, it really opens up the scope so that you can see more visible target. I do not think they are going to produce the standard round mil any more and only produce the Sidewinder 30 and Tactical with the 1/2 mil system and SR system. Also down load their free ballistic program and you can answer your own question by selecting the recticle that you want to use. You can check out some vids on You Tube this link should take you there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLxArKtBJjE&feature=related

I have a Sidewinder Tac and I really like it. Glass is pretty good, all mechanicals work as advertised. All in all a nice scope for the price.

001-9.jpg

I don't trust Chinese scopes like the Hawke Sidewinder/Falcon Menace etc.

Bushnell 10X Mil Mil = 200 at Midway
Weaver 3-10 Mil Mil = 300 at Midway
Vortex 5-15 mil mil = 400 at Midway

Bushnell and Weaver are made in Japan and very similar, probably out of the same OEM factory. Vortex is made in the Phillipines and quality is similar to a Nikon Monarch.

All of the above work well, have good warranty support should something go wrong, and are in your price range.

Personally I would give the 5-15 vortex a shot.

These are my rifles with the Sidewinders on them.

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

I can remember when Leupold was not manufactured in the states. Hawke is owned by a company out of the UK and they have done what alot of other companies have done with manufacturing in China. Every man to his own flavor and what he is accurate with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crockett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Sidewinder Tac and I really like it. Glass is pretty good, all mechanicals work as advertised. All in all a nice scope for the price.

001-9.jpg
</div></div>

The Hawke Tactical is great for the price, this is"not" your average Chinese crap scope.

I love mine!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are my rifles with the Sidewinders on them.

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">I can remember when Leupold was not manufactured in the states.</span></span> Hawke is owned by a company out of the UK and they have done what alot of other companies have done with manufacturing in China. Every man to his own flavor and what he is accurate with. </div></div>

So, just when was that? This mysterious time when they suddenly moved overseas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are my rifles with the Sidewinders on them.

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">I can remember when Leupold was not manufactured in the states.</span></span> Hawke is owned by a company out of the UK and they have done what alot of other companies have done with manufacturing in China. Every man to his own flavor and what he is accurate with. </div></div>

So, just when was that? This mysterious time when they suddenly moved overseas. </div></div>

They didnt, The parts are made in China and put together in the UK I beleave. I know the glass on mine is on par with a Viper HS if not slightly better contrast. From what I have heard the Viper Hs has the same glass as the PSTs.

Mine is the "Tactical Series" which has better glass from a different factory then the other Hawke scopes, according to Hawke when I talked to them last year, I have not had a chance to look through any of their other scopes.

Can anyone else comment on the glass coming from different suppliers. I was not going to get the "tactical" but if its better glass then maybe I would.

I have a 4-14 menace, the glass is very good when you consider the price.
I considered the Hawke, but I really wanted FFP and mil/mil and the falcon has a superior reticle.

To be honest, if your budget is around 400, you should consider the Vortex 5-15 midway exclusive. It seems that every one that has picked one up, has been very pleased.

Leupold was having components manufactured in Japan then assembled here in the states at one time. Leupold has a great warranty that they honor for second party ownership. The serial numbers are a way of verifying where the components were manufactured. Leupold had a slip in quality control doing this and supposedly stopped this method. A lot of second owners that purchase Leupold scopes try to verify the serial number before they purchase them from the original owner. My brother deals in Vortex scopes and I have nothing against the product. They were just like everyone else that got into the optics game. Start at a reasonable price and then once they have been vetted jack the price up, it is the bottom line of supply and demand with a good product. Hawke as I stated earlier was a nobody here in the states. I gave them the benefit of trying their product to see if it was junk or not and now Midway is carrying them. Now I am just wondering how long before the price starts climbing because the cat is out of the bag. Yes I have thought about putting a Vortex on my AR but it is hard for me to get rid of my ACOG which is bullet proof and can be overhauled if needed. There is a lot of new stuff hitting the market some of it junk some of it not, I guess if purchasing a scope manufactured in Japan is better then China go for it.

Last edited:

Just a question, so when your Hawke breaks, where do you send it? Does it have to go to the UK for warranty service? If so that would be a deal breaker for me. It takes long enough trying to get something fixed in the US. I have never owned a Falcon, but from everything I've heard it's hit or miss, "that sucks". Nobody wants to spend the money, wait for it, and come to find out that your shit doesn't work. I do own a Millett LRS that's been on a Savage for the past 3 or 4 years and that bitch works!!! It's bigger than most rifles, but does everything it say's it will. I looked through a sidewinder tactical 30 a couple months ago, and we both agreed the Millett glass was clearer. Just food for thought, and someone let me know about the Hawke warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a question, so when your Hawke breaks, where do you send it? Does it have to go to the UK for warranty service? If so that would be a deal breaker for me. It takes long enough trying to get something fixed in the US. I have never owned a Falcon, but from everything I've heard it's hit or miss, "that sucks". Nobody wants to spend the money, wait for it, and come to find out that your shit doesn't work. I do own a Millett LRS that's been on a Savage for the past 3 or 4 years and that bitch works!!! It's bigger than most rifles, but does everything it say's it will. I looked through a sidewinder tactical 30 a couple months ago, and we both agreed the Millett glass was clearer. Just food for thought, and someone let me know about the Hawke warranty. </div></div>

I have never had to warranty mine, I beleave you send it to their US office location.

You can give them a call, the number is on their website Hawke

FYI, there is also some pretty cool software they have that matches up with the scope for hold over bullet drop, if you plan on using any hold over that is.

Also, that is odd about the scope you looked through, I have never seen a millet that was as clear or had better contrast. maybe it was a dud/ lenses dirty? also compaired on the same power"zoom"/focus adjusted for the range/size class/ same lighting?

I have seen alot of retail stores and booths at gunshows try to push scopes by adjusting them to the lower powers"where quailty in the glass doesnt really show up until adjusted to higher powers. Then the customer looks through the scope and thinks"WOW, this is really clear, only to get home and turn the power up on a cheap scope and have it go foggy as hell.

I saw a guy at the last gunshow I was at doing the same thing, trying to sell "CRAP" Opsrey brand scopes. He was telling a customer that it had the same glass as a Nightforce and was built better for a cheaper price. I hate scumbags like that trying to rip people off. the sad thing was the people that I saw at the booth were buying into it, not knowing anybetter" new in the rifle/optics world I guess" "(

My 6.5-20 tactical that is on my 300wm, looks way better then the Supersniper 10x up to about x14-x18 power, at "x20" power the glass is on par with the SS x10, that should kinda be a gauge if you have seen through a SS x10"which is a very good scope, if you are looking for a fixed x10 power anyways".

Hawke Sport Optics
6015 Highview Dr. Suite G
Fort Wayne, In. 46818

Direct 260-918-1430
Toll Free 877-429-5347
Fax 260-918-3443

Their customer service is outstanding, with a very fast turn around time.

I sent Hawke a message lastnight about the quality of their different scope offerings concerning glass. Received a response this morn!
And to answer my previous question, The sidewinder series has their "best glass and added features".
Was actually considering their nite-eye(I think thats what its called) line but maybe I will step up to the sidewinder.

The Redfield is a great hunting scope. For the price it's an excellent buy. I got a 3-9x40 from the samplelist for $140.

Thanks for letting me know about the warranty. When glass quality is around the same range, it's hard to tell. All I'm saying is that I looked through a clean Hawke scope from 10x to 16x and I felt that the Millett glass was brighter, so did the owner of the Hawke scope. Was it a dud? Who knows, it's the only one I've ever seen. Not trying to knock a product, I love the fact that some companies are coming on strong with a lower price point. I personally can't afford a $3000 scope for all of my rifles, so having choices around the same price point is great in my book. But even when it comes to spending $400 on a scope, I want to know that I'm getting the best product for my $. My Millett is the only lower end scope that I have purchased so far, and I can tell you that it has held up every bit as well as any of my higher end shit. Not saying it works as well, but has decent glass, and is very dependable. I couldn't ask for more out of a $800 scope much less a $250 scope.

Oh and by the way, the Hawke did great in a box test, and looked sick on my friends AAC, it really did look the part, and felt solid. I asked him if he would recommend it, and he said that he wasn't comfortable giving it the blessing yet, "only had it 3 months". But said that he was pretty impressed!

I had to send my Hawke to Fort Wayne Indiana. The windage turret would not lock/unlock. I mailed the scope on 1/23/2012 and had the scope back on 2/3/2012. Customer service contacted me when the scope arrived in Indiana and again when they put in the mail. I have been pleased with the product and customer service.

BTrout, thanks for letting me know, I really wondered about that. It's good to know that some of the scopes in this price point are getting good CS.

Knightofnee,
You are right about the guys who do not know much about scopes fall into that trap. Most hunters know that light gathering in a scope is very important. Sunrise and sunset are hard areas for low light conditions. Trying to identify your target and having great clarity is tough for some manufactuers to accomplish. Another is shooting towards the east when the sun is coming up on the horizon, it is a straight bitch if you are getting sun glare. All of my Sidewinders have proven to be good in these areas and for doing night shoots with the illuminated recticle is outstanding. The attached picture is after completing the 440yd run at 100yds with my .308 with a reduced target area. 5 seconds to get off 3 rnds once you hit the dirt. I was testing the replacement scope that I had recieved from Hawke after I had zeroed it. I carry my rifle on a biathalon sling. I did this test a couple times to make sure the scope was going to stay on. The one flyer is me and with the standard target it still would have been within the target area.

IMG_0932.jpg

This next target is with the Lapua which has a lot of recoil to it. I was working on load development until I settled on the load that was the most accurate.

IMG_1426.jpg