• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Hawks kill my boss man's chicken?

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
How can you stop this? Just catch them and shot them I know you're not subpost to kill them, but not sure what the law is about them killing livestock. I know my grandfathers would kill them around the house if seen after the chickens. Any ideas? They have dogs and cats that run loose they don't stop the hawks but humans being outside the hawks are gone maybe a scarecrow?

Re: Hawks kill my boss man's chicken?

You cant kill them for any reason. Maybe a scare crow might work.

Good to know. I just thought you could protect livestock from such. Do you think you could get a permit from fish and wildlife? I know people with permit to shot deer that are destoring crops. You can shot them and then you call the game warden they come and pick it up and it goes the meatlocker for homeless people.

How hard is it to build a chicken coup?

We just drove a bunch of posts in and ran chickenwire all over the top of it.

Occasionally had to kill a fox or coyote, but no hawks or owls or ravens ever got in there.

Yes I know, they have chicken coups and are ok in there. They sell the fancy show type chickens. They turn them out during the daytime. Most of the time no problem. They know in the morning and late afternoon to round them up. Today it's been overcast and a hawk came and killed a breed rooster in the middle of the day. They have caught opossums and racoons in a live trap baiting them with eggs.

They make a concussion blaster that is activated by a timer.You choose how often it discharges,how shirl the sound,duration of event etc.The units dicharge pipe is directional.The almond and walnut growers swear by them.

Before you do anything else, it might be to your benefit to talk to someone with the Federal Fish and Wildlife Service about the penalties for shooting a raptor (hawks, owls and eagles).
After that stop at the hardware store and pick up some chicken wire to cover the top of the chicken run. I'm just guessing but I think the chicken wire will be much cheaper than the lawyer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you do anything else, it might be to your benefit to talk to someone with the Federal Fish and Wildlife Service about the penalties for shooting a raptor (hawks, owls and eagles).
After that stop at the hardware store and pick up some chicken wire to cover the top of the chicken run. I'm just guessing but I think the chicken wire will be much cheaper than the lawyer. </div></div>

Word!

They taste like Chicken!!!!
grin.gif

Of course i'm kidding...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benellibrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote shoot them !!! </div></div>

similar thinking you know the three S's right? its a load of sh*& these predators kill more game birds than anything around here and they keep movin in, but nothing you can do about it.

it's pretty illegal to shoot them, but it's worth a call to the wardens. Depending on what kinda state you live in, there may be a permit.

Best to call your local USDA Wildlife Services office. This is the old Animal Damage Control office, but had a name change a few years back. They are possibly listed under USDA or Federal Gubment. They can fill you in on all the laws and tell you if a permit is possible, and can give you tips on control measures. In some states, they will lend out propane cannons or scare devices. So, give these people a call.

I hear y'all they have come the conclusion that not turning the chickens out anymore will best serve the problem. Unlees there going to be there the whole time. And also not tunring out the ones that are hardest to replace.

Shoot to kill, and may god save the chickens!

-Pat <------- Is still bitter over the loss of his favorite rooster, to the talons of an evil Red-Tailed Hawk.

I'd like to know why they are still protected, I see one on every fence post it seems. I don't like the idea of killing a raptor since I think they are cool birds to watch, but people should be able to protect their livestock and game animals from them when they get out of control.

I agree with bryan27 Why are they protected now? Since yesterday I have seen about 6 within a few miles of my house. I have been watching 3 of them right around my house for a couple of years and, dam it I still have a rabbit problem. Believe me I am glad to see them. Growing up I never remember seeing them. Today they are everywhere. The old timers must of put a ass kicking to them back in the day!

Don't shoot hawks, they're cool, plus I'm pretty sure they're protected in most states.

Just an idea, Hawks are very territorial, so get your boss to acquire a hawk breeding permit, and breed some mean-ass hawks and train them to protect the chickens.

Why doesn't he just build one of those rolling covered chicken corrals for turning them out during the day? Chickens get turned out but they're protected and covered..back to the coop at night..