• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Head Scratching issue with my new Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range

Capt LeBlanc

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2021
Montreal, Qc
Hey guys! New comer here.

I bought about a month ago a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor, using midium scope rings to mount a Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24x50. I went to the range with it for the first time this Friday, firing Hornady 140 gr Eld Match.

First I wanted to zero my scope, I shot my first round at 50 yards. It went 3 feet below my aiming point! I adjust the elevation by cranking a lot, second shot went 1.5 feet below. Adjust again, third shot went bullseye. When I tried to zero my elevation, I realized something was wrong, I was at almost at the max elevation correction of the scope. It would be impossible for me to add elevation in order to shoot at 200+ yards.

Packed everything, went to my firearm dealer and explained the situation. The guy put his bore sighting tool in and confirmed my zero is good, and indeed the scope reached almost its max elevation. He removed the top part of the scope rings, switch with a different model of scope; same result, he has to crank elevation to max to bring it to zero. The guy is baffled. He tried with different high scope rings, Picatinny rail and rings, same results with both scopes.

Next step is to install a 20 MOA Picatinny rail to try solve the issue, but he didn't have one in stock, so he kept my rifle while waiting for its delivery. Have you guy ever had to deal with something like that? Do you think the 20 MOA Picatinny rail will solve the issue?

Last edited:
If it has been tried with different scopes and with different rings , then you are only left with the scope base being a problem if the rifle has one on it, or the rifle itself is massively f'ed up.

If i were you and i determined that the rifle was the culprit i would ask for a refund and buy a Tikka. You wont have problems there.