• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Head Shot Wednesdays

After the events of this evening I believe im going to have to start using headshots to bring down the deer where I hunt. A 60 pound deer(I know I know but hey, its the end of the season so if its brown its down) took 3 139gr SST rounds out of my 7 mag and was still standing. After the 3rd one he only made it a few more yards but Im still kinda scratching my head on this one. Ive got a lot of respect for that little bastard.

After the events of this evening I believe im going to have to start using headshots to bring down the deer where I hunt. A 60 pound deer(I know I know but hey, its the end of the season so if its brown its down) took 3 139gr SST rounds out of my 7 mag and was still standing. After the 3rd one he only made it a few more yards but Im still kinda scratching my head on this one. Ive got a lot of respect for that little bastard.

Lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

A bit of "overkill" to use a 7 mag on something the size of a medium sized dog, I know you got's to use what ya brung with ya..
The bullet was through the far side before it could do anything.
A .22 hornet would have been more appropriate for something that small.
I used to use a the speer 130 soft point boat tail loaded to 7-08 velocities in my 7 mag. Very accurate and more than enough oomph to take any deer with out a bunch of tissue destruction.

75g Amax

375 H&H
Barnes solid
50 yards

[/IMG][/URL]

Sorry to be an idiot, I just never grew up hunting. But . . is that the remains of an elephant head? I've hear the 375 H&H was a versatile caliber, but damn, if that's an elephant, I'm truly impressed with that calibers potential.

Some of the comments in here are pretty damn funny by the way!

Shoot safely!

-G45

Yeah that's an elephant skull. The 375 is by far the most versatile cartridge you could bring over there in my opinion. It's the smallest caliber you can hunt dangerous game with and works for everything else.
This was taken with a 300g Barnes solid.

rerepe5e.jpg
not Wednesday yet..... But here is 5 headshot pigs from this morning. .Distances ranged from 30yrds to 150 yrds .223 Ack 55grn Barnes TSX
4abyqeda.jpg

This fox was walking straight towards me with it's head low scenting the ground. Put a 150gn .308 soft point into the top of its skull at 8 yards, it went along the neck and down the entire length of its body and exited out near the butt hole:

IMG_0060.jpg

67 Fallow and 1 Red here in a deer park cull, all head shot:

DSC00334.jpg

This Fallow buck was a 120 yard head shot using 125gn Nosler ballistic tips in my .308 AW. My load of choice nowadays. Surprisingly not much damage considering:

IMG_1038_zpsd1677c35.jpg

Another Fallow taken at 65 yards with a 130gn RWS H-Mantle in .270:

DSC00386.jpg

3 deer here, 1 Fallow and 2 Roe does. The front Roe doe was a 45 yard head shot with my .270:

DSC01003.jpg

A young Roe buck at 85 yards, 125gn Noslers again:

IMG_0960_zps15bc8fdf.jpg

This Fallow buck was poorly hit in the chest by a paying guest at 160 yards, it took off running and was disapearing down a gully when it stumbled and left it's head up for a moment at 300 yards lased when i got my one chance to finish it with one in the head:

IMG_0432_zps4439407f.jpg

This Fallow was shot in the head just a few hours ago using my AW and 125gn Noslers again, last deer of 2013:

image_zps1b391d1f.jpg

Happy New Year Kids! :)

I usually don't take head shots unless varmint hunting and then it's only if I can't get a body shot. Here's the ones I have pictures of. I usually don't photograph the bad ones like the coon I shot in the mouth last week with the 17rem. It weren't pretty.

Red Fox from Friday night. 50yds off the shooting sticks kneeling with 17HMR. Exited the neck behind right ear.
12-27-13%20red%20entrance.jpg

Groundhog with 243win and 87gr. V-max at 280yds from prone.
PICT0108.JPG

Groundhog with 243win and 87gr. V-max at 200yds from prone.
PICT0115.JPG

Groundhog with 17rem in Model 7 Remington at 107yds prone. Berger 25gr. Target HP. hit in eye.
08-10-2013%20107yds.jpg

Groundhog 17HMR prone at 45yds in eye.
08-10-2013%2045yds%20prone.jpg

Was trying a through the scope picture. Screwed around too long with the camera and didn't get the shot.
thru%20scope%20260.jpg

Squirrel from last week. 17HMR rested at 60yds.
Headshot%20squirrel.jpg

Follow up to a liver shot coyote. Hit in back of head running away at 110yds. 17rem with 25gr. Berger Target HP off the shooting sticks. Should have shot it in the head to start with.
PICT0165.JPG

.260 Rem
130 gr HVLD
140 yds

.260 Rem
130 gr HVLD
60 yds

Both of the above.

.260 Rem
130 gr HVLD
40 yds

.223 Rem
50 gr Vmax
5-60 yds

I came across a group of about 20-25 pigs while helping my dad look for one he shot with his bow. I dropped the bolt on my AR and chased them over about 150 yards or so, running and gunning the whole way. I ended up putting rounds in 12-15 of them, dropped 4 with head shots, and got charged by the 228 lb boar in the back and the sow in the front. The boar in the middle also took one to the lungs.

Last edited:
7.62X54R
180 Grain Sierra Pro-Hunter (.311") @ 2700 fps
80 yds

buffalo_zps965b3673.jpg

one shot, DRT... no bleeding from the entry, there was no exit. The skull is intact, just one (roughly .30 cal) hole. Except for a little bleeding from the nostrils, can't even tell it was a headshot.

While I didn't get any pics this afternoon I did take advantage of head shot Wednesday. Dropped a 140# doe at 125 with a SRT 44 mag loaded with 300gr XTP's. It took her off her feet. The other deer between us looked up and went right back to eating. I have been really impressed with this little rifle.

260 Remington with 130 accubonds on all three of these. First one was at 88yds, second was at 86yds and the third was at 30yds.

dnopc9.jpg

2m81uop.jpg

r9q52h.jpg

260 Remington with 130 accubonds on all three of these. First one was at 88yds, second was at 86yds and the third was at 30yds.

dnopc9.jpg

2m81uop.jpg

r9q52h.jpg

Very nice.

Rifle Specs?

I would love to hear your barrel length and speeds. I'm assuming its a little shorter to accommodate the can.

7.62X54R
180 Grain Sierra Pro-Hunter (.311") @ 2700 fps
80 yds

buffalo_zps965b3673.jpg

one shot, DRT... no bleeding from the entry, there was no exit. The skull is intact, just one (roughly .30 cal) hole. Except for a little bleeding from the nostrils, can't even tell it was a headshot.

Raymond Ranch?

And just like that we're back. Hunting season is upon us once again so we'll likely see a lot more of these very soon…………

Unfortunately you can't see the head shot in this photo. The last three shots happened quickly and all inside of 20 ft. Only one found it's mark. I guess I suck but what can I say.
Four out of the six shots were attempted headshots but was only successful with one at about 3 ft. It's easy to see yourself making a miraculous shot on a charging animal
until it happens and you sit back and wonder how you missed the brain that many times at close range.

They said it would be closer to a 1000 lbs than 900 but I really don't know. They didn't have anything that could weigh something that big. They shot one bigger a few years back and cut it up in pieces to weigh it. It was just over 1k. They said mine was close to that but not quite. It's gutted in the photo so he looks a little smaller than he was.

20ithn6.jpg

8 point in the back of the head at about 110 yards. .308win but i Cant remember the round used.

i57ia1.jpg

Doe at about 90 yards. Again, .308 and cant remember what i used.

4jl06.jpg

This is the rifle. Hopefully more to come this deer season.

Did it show up upside down? If so, im sorry. Everything looked right side up on my end. I do everything over my Iphone and the results arent always pretty. Thanks man.

And just like that we're back. Hunting season is upon us once again so we'll likely see a lot more of these very soon…………

Unfortunately you can't see the head shot in this photo. The last three shots happened quickly and all inside of 20 ft. Only one found it's mark. I guess I suck but what can I say.
Four out of the six shots were attempted headshots but was only successful with one at about 3 ft. It's easy to see yourself making a miraculous shot on a charging animal
until it happens and you sit back and wonder how you missed the brain that many times at close range.

Were you shooting at it with your rifle or a side arm as it charged?

Ryan

Jared my buddy hunts out there at Spartan. They have some very large pigs. He killed a 550lbs pig and a 850lbs pig last year there.

Awesome pig you killed as well.

Bullet hit right next to his right eye head on. The eye on the other side was bulged out pretty good. I didn't put the picture in my photobucket to avoid the PETA crowd. It was a lucky shot.

50 gr vmax
336 yds

Yeah Mitch has some big ole boys running around that place for sure. We'll be back a few times this year. I have a few guys that want to go. I think I'm gonna run the camera.

Yea his exotics and rams aren't to bad either from what my buddy said. I wouldn't mind getting up there myself to kill a few big boys.

Here are a couple......

Antelope...340yds...300WSM....180GR.....to the face.

Pot Gut...75yds...223...75GR.....also to the face................................Eye ball^

Carp....6'....spear gun.....almost in the face...