• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headlamp for running?

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
While I try not to run in the dark I got a late start tonight and ran 6 on and off improved roads (I don't have street lights around here). My basic Petzl sucks - in fact it is little more than a reflector on my head for cars and something to light up my breath when I'm huffin and puffin going up a hill. My handheld did all the real work. However, it begs the question what are others having good luck with? Any tips on minimum lumens and width of beam vs throw?

While the Surefire looks good, I'd like something with a longer run time and juiced by AAs for a lot less money.

TIA

Good luck

Re: Headlamp for running?

I've tried the Petzls and they work OK but what I never liked was that they always seemed to bounce or move just enough to get annoying. After trying it while wearing a brimmed hat I had another idea that has worked well since last winter.

I went to the bike section in REI and got a little AAA powered bike lamp that is made to be attached to handle bars. I put two tiny slits in the brim of a hat and zip-tied the light to the brim. I figure if it throws enough light to ride a bike - the bike goes much faster and the light needs to go further than I need while running - it is far enough. Also, there are a lot of bike commuters on the trails I run so the brim of the hat allows me to keep from being blinded by them.

I also put a similar red flashing light on the back of the hat for a little extra visibility. All I need to do is grab this one thing and I'm ready for a night run.

I haven't used mine for running but I just picked this up for using while going into my stand (hunting.) I found to be be MUCH better than my old light (a cheapo that was good enough to see a bit but didn't illuminate the eye poking small twigs).
The Cabelas RGB works quite well. It's very bright on white as well as the other color offerings. I so far have used the red mainly but all gtg. The ONLY down side I see in regards to what your looking for is that its powered by 3 AAA batteries. BUT with black friday coming they will be on sale everywhere.

LedLenser H7
http://www.ledlenser.com/headlamp/lightweight/h7

The H14 is a lot more light than the H7, but it is pretty heavy. You can clip the H14 battery pack to your waistband, but then you lose the counterweight for the lamp.....

I own both, but haven't done any running with either. You may find that the 3rd strap on the H14 makes it better for running in spite of the weight. Either way, you will not be disappointed by the illumination. There are zero dark spots in the beam. The illumination and beam focus can be adjusted on both of them and having the battery packs in the rear of the band distributes the weight exceptionally well. The H7 is a simple on off button with a dimmer switch. The H14 is computer controlled and in my opinion is not as user friendly as the H7.

Either way, I would look nowhere else for a headlamp. The LedLenser headlamps will do well for running and excel in most other tasks.

which petzl do you have? Tikka's are great for camp and trail, but not well suited for active pursuits. I have not tried it personally, but you might get a better mounting with the 'ADAPT TIKKA'.

I think for running you want something with a top strap such as this (I have the older version):
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trail-running-kit/sprinter-headlamp

or this:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/icon-headlamp

even the really lightweight headlamps shift about annoyingly when you're moving dynamically, so its all about the straps more than the weight.

I just bought a Fenix HL30. Takes 2 AAs so it is a bit heavy but is has a strap over the top of your head and holds pretty tight.
http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-hl30.html
It throws a nice broad beam vs. a "spot" beam, so not great for long range but very nice for running.
Pros: awesome brightness and color (seems to be a better "color" of light vs. the more blue-ish beams)
price was right compared to others
awesome for hunting!
great battery life w/2 AA
I moved to one battery for all my crap: AA, so I like that it doesnt have 3 AAAs.
Works fine with watch/knit caps (I live in Montana and run in the cold)
Cons: Kind of heavy and will not be as stable on your head as a very light one
Does not work well with brimmed baseball hats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nremynse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently use the black diamond spot and it works great. When properly adjusted there is no bounce. I've used it while backpacking but primarily use is it trail running at night. Its my go to headlamp for ultras races and its plenty bright to light up a trail so it should work great on the road.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/spot-headlamp </div></div>
Thanks for that.That is exactly what I was looking for
The red led accessed without going full white is icing on the cake

I bought the LED Lenser H7 headlamp -very versatile I found no need to carry a flashlight when hunting this fall. I found a internet retailer that sold them at 50% of MSRP. Also bought the P14 and P17 to replace some of my older unit. I'm happy with them.