• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headspace gauge options for a 6.5x47 L ?

FN in MT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
Craig, MT
In the past sizing for my bolt guns I'd adjust the die so that I needed just a small amount of pressure to close the bolt on the sized case.

NOW I'm doing this Lapua build and wonder if I should try to be far more accurate and try a head space gauge of some sort?

Sinclair has "bump gauge" inserts and a tool to hold the inserts. None available...back ordered for months now.

Hornady makes a similar set; the "Lok-N-Load headspace tool kit". Like the Sinclair an attachment for a set of calipers, and various inserts that match the cartridges shoulder angle.

Looking at the chamber spec's the 6.5x47 L shows a 30 degree shoulder angle. So I assume ANY insert that matches 30 degrees would work??

Any other suggestions?

FN in MT

According to Lapua's cartridge drawing, the datum line is 3.77" (9.58MM) on the 6.5X47 L . The Hornady .375" insert should work. Forster lists the 6.5X47 Lapua using the .375" insert on their new gauge. You can see it here: http://www.forsterproducts.com/client_images/catalog19938/pages/files/Datum_Dial_Instructions.pdf

I've been using the Sinclair and the Hornady (Stoney Point) shoulder bump measurement gauges for a few years. After using both, I'm partial to the Hornady set. I've gotten more consistent measurement readings with the Hornady set.

Looks like the datum circumference is .3771. Whichever bushing that is. I believe it's the same as for the .308 family.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 66
Looks like the datum circumference is .3771. Whichever bushing that is. I believe it's the same as for the .308 family.

It is not the same as the .308 Win. family. The .308 family is .400". the .375" family is the 30/06 based cartridges.

Flt762,

Thanks for the guidance. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Hopefully the Hornady kit will be in stock.

And...I learned what "Datum Circumferance" refers to today.

Last edited: