• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headspace Gauge

l115a3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Which brand is the best in accuracy for measure Headspace of .308 win Brass?

I currently using RCBS Precision MIC but looking for other brand.

Which brand is the best in accuracy for measure Headspace of .308 win Brass?

I currently using RCBS Precision MIC but looking for other brand.

The Hornady/Stoney Point headspace gage set will do 'most' bottle neck cartridges.

The Precision Mic wil only do one cartridge, IIRC, or at best one 'family' of cartridges.

The RCBS is good at what it does, but it's inflexible if you want to measure a wide range of cartridges, IMO.

Chris

As above, unless you want to measure something else the RCBS is about as convenient as it gets. I have had very good luck with mine but also have the Stoney Point attachment. While it does do most cartridges, which is why I bought it, it works best or is easiest if you have a go gauge to set it to zero with. It's also important to remember that the SP is only as good as the 6 inch caliper you attach it to. I would go broke buying RCBS Case Mic's for everything I reload.

There's a better way ....

Look into the Digital Headspace Gauge. It works on ALL different calibers (except the 50 BMG), and it doesn't need any special bushings or attachments. It also measures bullet jump to the rifling.

For gas guns, I have found the RCBS to work best since it will give accurate measurement regardless of deformities in the brass caused during ejection. I have the Hornady as well as the Innovative Technologies comparators as well and really prefer the IT for setting up dies for my bolt guns. Very accurate and repeatable.

wht about for larger cartridages like 338 lapua and 50 bmg?

Can't remember which number but I have the Sinclair bump gauge insert I use for 338Lapua. Not sure about the 50 though.

I have had good luck with the Sincair inserts. They're made pretty durable, not to say the other ones aren't.