• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headspace / Go No Go Gauges

dsmith48

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2021
Ohio
I just finished assembling a new rifle:
Origin Rem Short Action
Osprey 6.5cm prefit barrel from PVA
MDT XRS Chassis

Everything is torqued down to spec
Bolt cycles fine as is

Do I need to buy a go/no go gauge? Go gauge and tape? If so, what brand/model?
Is there anything else I should do before taking this out for a spin?

I just finished assembling a new rifle:
Origin Rem Short Action
Osprey 6.5cm prefit barrel from PVA
MDT XRS Chassis

Everything is torqued down to spec
Bolt cycles fine as is

Do I need to buy a go/no go gauge? Go gauge and tape? If so, what brand/model?
Is there anything else I should do before taking this out for a spin?
It’s always a good idea to verify headspace. I recommend Manson gauges but there are others. You can a go and no go or just get a go and add a pice of scotch tape on the back of the go for a no go

A go gauge plus a layer or two of scotch tape makes a no go. Making sure is never a bad idea, it’s a good practice.

That said you’ll be fine.

You can add scotch tape to the back of a round and see how many layers it takes to stop the bolt from chambering to see how much shoulder growth you’ll have.

Like @spife7980 said, get a go gauge and then add tape. If you find a used set of go/no go it's not like there's harm in getting them both but honestly the "no go" gauges are kind of worthless.

It's always a good idea to check a prefit for headspace but I would be shocked if pva sent you a out of spec barrel.

Reactions: dsmith48
This is what I use.

They aren't that expensive when you consider what could go wrong if the headspace is seriously out of spec.

Since the same gunsmith makes my barrels, I spin them on. I have PT&G go and no-go for all my calibers. The Go gauge & tape may work for a no-go, but I could probably screw that up somehow. Besides it being the correct way to do it, you get a bit of satisfaction and peace of mind that it’s set correctly.