• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

headspaced bot to barrel

HotAirBaloonInstructor

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2012
Deja Vu
Building an AR15 completely from the ground up, first time using stripped receivers that also match. Looking to get it right. I know it's a hell of a time to do it but I have local guys that are taking care of business. ($20 pmags to give you an idea)

I currently have an Aero Precision stripped upper and lower, from what I understand, they're good to go. Maybe not LaRue or Seekins but it's in spec so it'll do.

Anyway, I guess the ticket for accuracy is a good barrel with a headspaced bolt? I may be looking left when it's right on this one and please correct me if I'm way off.

So, what's a reasonable way to achieve this? I'm looking at a handful of them. White oak, noveske, centurion?, ranier, then i guess the really expensive ones like kreiger and bartlein (spelling?). Anyway, someone please drop some knowledge on me. I know this is probably a really basic question and you're tired of it but, please? Please, please, please? I know ARs can shoot 1/2 a minute with the right components, ammo, and the shooter doing their part. Just looking to get pointed in the right direction.

Building an AR15 completely from the ground up, first time using stripped receivers that also match. Looking to get it right. I know it's a hell of a time to do it but I have local guys that are taking care of business. ($20 pmags to give you an idea)

I currently have an Aero Precision stripped upper and lower, from what I understand, they're good to go. Maybe not LaRue or Seekins but it's in spec so it'll do.

Anyway, I guess the ticket for accuracy is a good barrel with a headspaced bolt? I may be looking left when it's right on this one and please correct me if I'm way off.

So, what's a reasonable way to achieve this? I'm looking at a handful of them. White oak, noveske, centurion?, ranier, then i guess the really expensive ones like kreiger and bartlein (spelling?). Anyway, someone please drop some knowledge on me. I know this is probably a really basic question and you're tired of it but, please? Please, please, please? I know ARs can shoot 1/2 a minute with the right components, ammo, and the shooter doing their part. Just looking to get pointed in the right direction.

You might want to say how much money you want to spend, how heavy of a barrel you're thinking of (length profile etc) that kind of stuff.

edit: there's absolutely nothing wrong with aero precision upper + lower either

Of course, my brain was suffering from a massive information overload and just shitting on the keyboard. I'm looking to get a medium contour 16" barrel and throw a low pro gas block on it with a free float Giessele rail. Probably an AAC flash hider. I really want a drop-in barrel that comes with a head-spaced bolt. Or will a barrel like WOA or Rainier with a mil-spec BCG be sufficient?

I don't think a headspaced bolt is going to insure you accuracy. It just proofs that the chamber is cut correctly and the bolt is allowing the proper headspace without being excessive or over spec. basically insurance that your rifle wont blow up on your first round fired. There is still factors such as the barrel extension fit into the receiver, strength of the receiver, where your barrel nut lines up with the right amount of torque, inherent accuracy of the barrel itself, muzzle threads and devices ect.... If your building a heavy 20 plus inch match chambered competition gun try to get a barrel maker who will go through the trouble of matching you the right bolt. If your building a 16" lightweight buy milspec and hope it just doesn't blow up.

Last edited:
I had a 16" rifle configured about like that and it was a tackdriver with a rainier ultra match barrel. Didn't do anything special for headspacing it either just grabbed a bolt and checked, yeap in spec, away I went. Only reason I sold it was because I got 2700 for it, thankyou panic buyers :)

The white oak 16 and rainier ultra match are solid choices, when ar15performance gets his in they are good as well, none of them are what I'd call 1/2moa but all shot under MOA and for a 16" carbine that is more than good enough. Obviously there are others but when this shit calms down those 3 always seem to be available and they all shoot from good to great.

haha sounds good. really just looking for sub-moa at 100. so aero is a good enough stripped set? what about muzzle devices? is the AAC stuff not good enough for semi-precision?

A legitimate 1/8 will work for the 75 all the way to 80. Let the bolt and barrel grow old together. Krieger makes a 1/7.7 twist rate. Depends what you want to do with it. I think the 8 will work just fine. Good luck, and good shooting.

Doug

the reason I ask is because we shoot 1:7 but I'm seeing a lot of premium manufacturers using 1:8. Really, I don't understand the difference. I just thought the 1:8 and 1:9 we're shitter because you see 1:9 in bushmasters and what not.

The faster twist will help stabalize the heavy 80 grn pills for the 600 yd. event. I have used a 1/8 at 600 with good results. I went with a Douglas 1/7 as I had planned to shoot 1,000 yds with my service rifle, but surgery sidelined me. As the pills get heavier, they get longer and thus need a little more spin. Like I said, you'll do fine with the 8. The slower twist is usually found in bolt action rifles for varmit type -45 to 55 grn- bullets. Faster twist, heavier bullets. Slower twist, lighter bullets. This isn't written in stone, but should help as a guideline. Are you shooting paper targets, steel targets, 42 long targets? I recognize the CIB in your posts, welcome home and maybe ask some of the shooters in the AMU, they may have better and more current intel. It seems that when the AMU or Marine Rifle Team makes a change in their service rifle practices, everyone takes it as holy gospel and follows suit. Too bad I don't have that kind of time or money for R&D! Just my thoughts as a competitor. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

thanks a lot doug! I have a basic understanding of the heavier/longer bullets needing faster twists thing. I appreciate your input. My intent was to just shoot mk 262 (77grain) out to 500. I'm scared to try 1000 even with my LaRue .308 to be honest. It's so damn cold right now and if I'm not training, I don't feel like being hardcore lol. I've been considering a WOA or Rainer. I'll make a thread when I get more parts in beyond the upper and lower receiver.

White Oak makes a great upper. They use Wilson barrels last I heard. I personally would move into a better barrel as you will see it last longer and keep accuracy over time. The 16" will make it 500 as long as you hold hard, but the standard 20" is the way to go I believe. The 8 twist will easily stabilize the 77 at mag length, I had some great rapid scores @ 300 with high X counts with the 8 twist. Again, these are deep thoughts from my shallow mind as a service rifle competitor. Pick up a Giesselle trigger for your build. Check out Compass Lake Engineering, I've dealt with them on several occasions and Frank White knows his stuff. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug