• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heard vortex is coming out with a new pistol red dot

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
Any truth to this? New pistol red dot from vortex that will be comparable to the higher end red dots on the market?

Any truth to this? New pistol red dot from vortex that will be comparable to the higher end red dots on the market?
I hope so. As a current owner of their Venom and Viper red dots and former owner of their Razor red dot they're way behind the competition.

Why I was asking here. If anyone else has heard anything or will confirm or deny

I hope so. As a current owner of their Venom and Viper red dots and former owner of their Razor red dot they're way behind the competition.

Agreed, I fell that vortex red dots and prism scopes are lacking a lot, even the new HD spitfire does not compare to PA micro prism poor battery life and no shake n wake smaller reticle vs PA.

Liked the razor red dot, the rest were not up to par. Even not the razor is way behind the competition. Shake awake, auto brightness, nv compatibility... is the minimum for higher end.

Liked the razor red dot, the rest were not up to par. Even not the razor is way behind the competition. Shake awake, auto brightness, nv compatibility... is the minimum for higher end.

For me the attributes I look for in a handgun optic are, in order of importance
  1. Ruggedness/reliability (Trijicon is arguably the best)
  2. Very sensitive auto brightness (RMR is king here)
  3. Appropriate reticle size (> 4 MOA)
  4. Multi year battery life
Right now the only brand that meets all four to my satisfaction is Trijicon.

Holosun falls short big time in #2 and #3. Their dot/circle and circle only reticle options suck. It makes it difficult to stay target focused, at least to my eyes. The dot only works fine as far as not distracting focus from the target, but it's too small to be user friendly at speed.

Not bashing Holosun because it's chinesium. I have a 407C that I bought as a cheap backup in case one of my Trijicons went down, and I have put enough rounds through it to have an opinion based on personal experience.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I agree the venom doesn't match up with my trijicon on durability tests that I have seen, due to this I have RMR'S on all my EDC stuff. But I have started carrying a venom on my 509 to see how it works out for grins and giggles for the next few months

I hope they bring something out that legit hangs with top-tier stuff like their Razor HDG2's and HDG3's do in their circles.

I'm a long-time Trijicon RMR/SRO user, and IMHO all Vortex has to do is deliver that level of durability/reliability, but, with glass that isn't slightly distorted, tinted, and/or slightly magnified (something Trijicon can't seem to manage just yet, even after all these years). The DP Pro's, Sig's, and even the Holosun's can manage to make 1x dot sights that are actually 1x and not slightly funhouse/fisheye... but they haven't figured out the same reliability/bombproofness.

I agree with @308pirate on the auto-brightness and reticle/dot size stuff: Trijicon's auto-brightness somehow doesn't suck when everyone else's does, and many of the other companies need to drop the "smaller dot is more precise/covers less of the target" and gimmicky reticle nonsense, and lean into just a decent-sized dot for pistol shooting (I like 5moa).

So IMO there is a void that can be filled.

Reactions: 308pirate
with glass that isn't slightly distorted, tinted, and/or slightly magnified (something Trijicon can't seem to manage just yet, even after all these years)

Completely irrelevant when your eyes are focused on the target, as they should be.

Seriously, I can almost tell dot gazers from their "complaints" about glass.

I am in the market for several new red dots and am planning on SRO's. But, I am a Vortex fan and was curious if they were working on anything new. I called and chatted with a Vortex rep before Christmas and he was very cryptic, but did say they were working a a new red dot which would be out this year. I was hoping to see something pop up at Shot Show, but nothing there. I am hopefully we will see something soon.

Completely irrelevant when your eyes are focused on the target, as they should be.

Seriously, I can almost tell dot gazers from their "complaints" about glass.

It's not irrelevant. You look at the target through the glass... so a clear unadultered 1x is always better.

I'm no "dot gazer" either, you just need to knock off the Trijicon fanboy crap and be real about it. Please stop acting like you're the only guy on the Hide who shoots pistols/USPSA, because you're not.

It's not irrelevant. You look at the target through the glass... so a clear unadultered 1x is always better.
That must be why I can put a piece of tape on the front of the optic, so that I can't see the target through it, and still win CO at a local match.....

I'm not the only USPSA shooter here. But I bet i can beat most of them.