• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing/ear protection

johnny.

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
Mid-Atlantic
While on the range, I have always used disposable in-ear protection along with some no-name earmuffs. It afforded me good protection but left little for hearing anything else. During my recent time at the range, I tried the set up I've used for years...but there was a problem: I couldn't get a proper cheek weld because of my earmuffs. I've never really encountered this issue before...then again, this was my first time using a bolt-action rifle. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but that was the issue. Since I'm starting to take my hobby somewhat serious now, I would like to buy a good set of earmuffs.

I have been looking at two earmuffs:
- Peltor Tactical 6S
- Howard Leight Impact Sport

Has anyone ever used these? If so, what are your opinions? If not, what do you use?

Any insight would be helpful.

TIA - Johnny.

Re: Hearing/ear protection

If you dont enjoy earmuffs like me, get the Surefire Ep4's, they are excellent and only cost about 13$.

I have the Howard leight ones. They are very nice and affordable. I have no problems with cheek weld with them on. You shouldn't have any problems with them if that's the way you decide to go.

I haven't used those, however I do have the Sordin Pro-X muffs and love them. The sound suppression is excellent, while letting you hear everything at normal volumes on the line. Further, they have a slim design that does not get in the way for me on my bolt gun.

Pricey, but worth it IMHO.

I have the Peltor Tactical 6S, behind the head set and like them very much. Work very well. I still use foam plugs and these for shooting the .50bmg.
Friend has the Howard Leight Impact Sport set and he likes them.

Both are a good bang for the buck!

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs and they work great for me. Very comfortable, easy to shoot with and the batteries last quite awhile.

I've used the T6's for ages and still do on occasion. For the price it is good electronic muffs. Some people will turn them upside down to help further reduce the bulk against the stock when shooting long guns but I have never had problems with them.

For +/- $60, a good buy.

The battery compartment in the Peltors is IN the ear piece.
Any sweat or moisture finds it's way to corrode them.
Life span for many is just over a year if used in hot enviroments.

Sordin = good.
Howard = cheap and quite good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost_Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Peltor Tactical 6S, behind the head set and like them very much. Work very well.
</div></div>

+1, just bought some off ebay for $60 shipped

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnny.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to buy a good set of earmuffs.

- Peltor Tactical 6S

Has anyone ever used these? If so, what are your opinions? If not, what do you use? </div></div>

Go to the search box and type in Sordin

They have long been considered the "Cadillac" of ear pro. They are not cheap, but a lot of people think they are worth the coin.

I used the Peltors before I got my first Sordins. As mentioned, I was able to rust out the electronics on two sets. I have another set that I have had for 4-5 years, but they should last forever since they NEVER get used......

Sordins, I dont wear them because I sell them, I sell them because I wear them
laugh.gif

http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html

Howard Leight are the way to go... I've used them on deployments and beat them up pretty good and they worked fine. I also like them because they are slim lined, so when I shoot my long gun they don't get in the way.

Good luck

I too have have the Howard Lights, I like them, and as long as you never fold them up they will last a long time, folding them is hard on the thin wires, I still want some Sordins though.

http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html [/quote]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnny.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to buy a good set of earmuffs.

- Peltor Tactical 6S

Has anyone ever used these? If so, what are your opinions? If not, what do you use? </div></div>

Go to the search box and type in Sordin

They have long been considered the "Cadillac" of ear pro. They are not cheap, but a lot of people think they are worth the coin.

I used the Peltors before I got my first Sordins. As mentioned, I was able to rust out the electronics on two sets. I have another set that I have had for 4-5 years, but they should last forever since they NEVER get used......

Sordins, I dont wear them because I sell them, I sell them because I wear them
laugh.gif

http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html</div></div>

i bought a pair of Sordin's from Steve, a couple weeks ago. they fit perfect laying prone on my a5 bolt gun

Train how you fight! Will you really be wearing a million levels of earpro during combat? I use the simple tripple flange ear plugs that were issued to me and that is all i use. It works for me for both combat, and recreational shooting.

I use the Howard Leights and for the money they are great. I have no issues getting a good cheek weld.

I run peltor comtac 1's, they're good. I drove over them in my Jeep (not on purpose... idiot) and they're still good to go.

Big selling point of the Sordins though is the 2.5mm audio jack in the back face. Peltor run a crazy two pin getup... Not very helpful. And gel ear cup upgrades.

I have the Peltor 7S that I purchased recently but I still always double-up on the range. They work very well and I was glad that I got them. I will also use them while hunting because they allow me to hear and also amplify some as to hear deer moving. These are my first electronic earmuffs and I was kind of leery of them. I have tinnitus in my left ear from too Army time so ear muffs are a must for me.

Sordins hands down! We had issued Peltor compact xp on those were well not so good.

Lucky ones did get Sordins. I have supreme pro-x and i im happy whit those.

another +1 for Howard Leight.

I found mine online and on sale for under 50.

I think either Midway or Natchezss. Not sure. Some time ago...

I've had several pair of the Peltor's. They work fine but have a service life that is less than acceptable.

s6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psycho-82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Train how you fight! Will you really be wearing a million levels of earpro during combat? I use the simple tripple flange ear plugs that were issued to me and that is all i use. It works for me for both combat, and recreational shooting. </div></div>

If I train like I would fight, I'd never hear the fight coming cuz I would be stone deaf.

I wore electronic ear muffs on hundreds of swat operations, and damm glad to have them on on several occasions. That said, I dont see how earpro of any type fits into the fight for many folks.

I used to have a custom molded set of earplugs when I used to shho a lot of smallbore. They were really comfortable, but over the years I lost them and ended up using disposables and /or earmuffs. Earmuffs gave plenty of noise reduction but made it hard to hear anything else. Last week I had precision rifle class and I decided to invest in a pair of electronic earmuffs. I ended up going with the Howard Leight Impact sports over the Peltors because the Impacts gave an auto shutoff feature after 4 hours that will save your batteryif you forget and leave them on. I don't know if I would ever use the Ipod input, but I guess its a cool feature to have.
I got them on Amazon.com for around $45 with free shipping.
This is the first pair of electronic ears I have used, but I absoloutely love them! Ended up wearing them for 8 hours the first time out. They fit comfortably, were slim enough that they didn't interfere with my cheek weld, blocked the sound of 12+ .308s on the firing line, and the best thing is I could turn up the mic level so that I could hear the instructor talking at the other end of the firing line better than I could have with nothing on. When the auto shut-off kicked in after 4 hours, I just turned the knob to "off" and then turned it back on. I couldn't be hapier with them. I should have gotten a set years ago.
I even let a couple "old fasioned" earmuff guys try them and barely managed to get them back. While they were using mine, I was using their's , and couldn't believe the difference.
I would recommend them to any recreational shooter.
Get a pair and you won't be disappointed!

I have Peltor 6S but they hurt my ears after a hour of use due to the slim profile and battery compartment. Switched back to the same profile non electric Peltor which don't cause a problem.

I have the Howard Leight and I like them very much. I haven't yet fugured out how to get proper consistant cheek weld in all shooting positions while using them. This is the first and only electronic muffs I've owned and it feels a little forign still. Oh, by the way, I haven't had the opportunity to use ear protection in combat as time outs aren't allowed. I have hearing loss because of it. Huh!!

+1 for the Howard Leight and I like them! I work at a range one day a week and have used them since January and they still look great. I use double earplugs and with conventional muffs I couldn't hear range commands, but with double and the electronic turned up they work great!! (plus I sometimes run my Ipod through the earphone jack)

Heard great things about Sordin. We use their other products at work i.e. gas detector etc.

I wear glasses so I have had some troubles with earmuff so I normally opted for SF Earpro and lately SensGard.

I only shoot pistols and upto .308 so can't comment for anything louder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you dont enjoy earmuffs like me, get the Surefire Ep4's, they are excellent and only cost about 13$.</div></div>

Same. I use the EP4s. Lost them once, dropped in traffic.

It sat for two days in the rain, ran over by hundreds of cars, I remembered the sound of the case dropping..went back and found them covered in mud, washed them off and now they're back like new.

Bought another pair just because.

Liberator II army surplus with microphone and com wires cut off. Also have Peltor SportTac. Suggest getting electronic earmuffs, as they allow hearing normal conservation and soft noises, but dampen loud sounds.

+1 on the EP4's I usually wear double ears and I like the Howard Leight Impact Electronic ears. They work just as good as the Peltors and are way more reasonable in price. They use two triple a's and have an aux input, plus they fit flush.

Our entry team wears electronic muffs under their kevlars. We started with the Peltor Tactical 6's but most recently have been purchasing the Howard Leights. Both seem to work pretty well. I personally have a pair of the Peltor's that I have had for almost 10 years now, and they're still going strong.

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psycho-82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Train how you fight! Will you really be wearing a million levels of earpro during combat?</div></div>

Not a million, but I have been wearing one piece of ear pro on every entry I have made. I learned by the mistakes of my youth since machinegun fire and blanks during stalks removed a good portion of the hearing in my left ear.

I use Peltor Sporttac's at work during training or live ops because I wish to retain the hearing I have left.

After the last two weeks of nothing but shooting every minuet we had a chance to plus two comps...im done with the peltors (6's) for some reason they dont cut out all the time. Running around in the shop doesn't help my hearing, so i need to do something about it. If you think about it, 300$ for real real good hearing protection that will last a long time is cheap. Whats your hearing worth? I hope im not saying HUUUUU soon because i saved 200$...

Would have to agree that hearing protection is very important, and that when training wear electronic muffs instead of just ear plugs. Unfortunately, hearing loss can be permanent, and only gets worse with age and time. Same with vision. I've seen a lot of older veterans and LEOs who did not use adequate hearing protection in training and/or on duty, it is a sad and poorly heard story...no pun intended.

There is nothing tough or practical about being deaf and/or blind.

ESS for eyewear they have plenty opf great glasses that will fit all your shooting needs!!!

If anyone needs a discount code you can hit me up and I will get you all setup!!

Glen, if I knew you were having trouble with yours I would have let you check out my Sporttac's. IMHO they are quite a bit better than the 6S and don't have any clipping/cutout issues.

Obviously if you have the cash for the Sordin's they are the top end. I will eventually upgrade, but the Sporttacs do what I need.

ESS Eyewear is great. I will be doing a writeup on their new Crossbow 2x Kit. I was wearing the clear shields on the helo stage in Oregon and I wear the tinted shields every day at work.

The "Dept. Rep." program is the bomb and I am assuming that's the discount code Tony is talking about. I am looking to get into it to help my guys out as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2manygunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't used those, however I do have the Sordin Pro-X muffs and love them. The sound suppression is excellent, while letting you hear everything at normal volumes on the line. Further, they have a slim design that does not get in the way for me on my bolt gun.

Pricey, but worth it IMHO. </div></div>

So true, these are really nice and very comfortable to wear for a long period of time.