• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing Protection. Need advice

Bl0407

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019
So I’ve been shooting shot guns for 20 years and all I use is molded ear plugs and they work fine. Well not so much with rifles. I’m going to start shooting some PRs matches and would like some suggestions on the best roughy to go. Not really concerned about price just want to have hearing in my later years.

Thanks guys..

If $$ is no concern tAke a look at the ESP digital stealth series..... been using them for matches 4+ years and provides you don't run an obnoxious muzzle break they work great and allow me to easily communicate with the RO

If $$ is no concern tAke a look at the ESP digital stealth series..... been using them for matches 4+ years and provides you don't run an obnoxious muzzle break they work great and allow me to easily communicate with the RO

When you say obnoxious break not sure what that means? I have an area 419 hellfire. Sorry new to muzzle breaks also. Are some louder than others or something

Some are definitely louder than others...... I've switched over to mainly shooting suppressed but have shot a couple muzzle breaks ( Jim see and APA little bastards) with my ESP's and did ok...... my bigger issue comes when laying on a line with others running breaks and I find I'd like a little more protection than the ESP provide or when I'm ROing shooters with breaks.... if m directly behind the shooter it's better but being offset in the "blast zone" makes me want to double up on the ESP's with conventional muffs in top.

I've been struggling lately. Had to run foamies under my muffs. Still not getting a good seal and I'm not sure why.

Sordins for me and I add foam plugs if its indoors or next to a loud rifle.

Defenders fitted plugs with amplifiers. They attenuate the shots really well, and the amplifiers allow for normal conversation. I have a hearing loss and they aren't as loud as I would like, but if you have normal hearing they should work great

I have been using a combo of Walker Razors and 3M industrial plugs. The Walkers do not interfere with cheek weld.

So I’ve been shooting shot guns for 20 years and all I use is molded ear plugs and they work fine. Well not so much with rifles. I’m going to start shooting some PRs matches and would like some suggestions on the best roughy to go. Not really concerned about price just want to have hearing in my later years.

Thanks guys..

It's typically the other guys brake that gets you, not yours. If you are really concerned about your hearing you need to double up. No single solution is good enough for 165+ db. The absolute best ones stop around 160. In the ear solutions do nothing to protect the percussion waves that are hitting around your ear. The only protection for that is over the ear.

Reactions: Dan M
The wife rocks MSA Sordins, I run Peltor Comtac's, neither of them mess with our cheek welds. We both double up, when we're shooting pistols indoors.

I see that most “ears” suppress about 22 decibels, regardless of cost. Add electronics and the price goes up. I use ears and foam plugs. Not too much I have to talk about before going Cold anyway.

I've been using MSA Sordins for over 10 years. Pricey but a great product. Get them with the Gel ear seals. A lot more comfortable to wear.

I've been using MSA Sordins for over 10 years. Pricey but a great product. Get them with the Gel ear seals. A lot more comfortable to wear.

+1 on the MSA Sordins

P.s. I also use the OTTO NoizeBarriers when it's just me at the range or so hot I can't stand the full muffs.

Thanks guys..

I like to use a combo of howard electric muffs and surefire in ear plugs, the total setup can be had for $70 or less and give your the advantage of doubled up ear protection while being able to hear normal conversation. Doubling up is always a good idea, especially when shooting rifles.

I run Howard Leight Electronics with the noise fighter gel cups and either foamies or SureFire plugs
I plug up in the parking lot and add the headset when I get to the line.
Save every bit of hearing you can.

He did say he wasn't concerned about price.

A suppresor is the easy solution to loud guns.

It doesn’t help a whole lot when the guy next to you is shooting with an obnoxious break though.

I have a set of the Ghost Stryke electronic earplugs and wear standard passive low profile muffs over them most of the time. The plugs amplify sound enough that I can hear regular conversation pretty well but still work well with really loud rifles. If I’m shooting by myself a lot of times I am fine with just the electroninc plugs especially if I’m shooting supressed.

I have a pair of Surefire EP7 earplugs and they are great. If Im next to someone real loud, I double up with the Howard Leights. For the Howard Leights, I opened them up and stuffed the empty space with foam earplugs. That made them even better. Shot next to a guy with a Barrett 50 last week and it was like nothing.

I bought a pair of the Decibullz and was not impressed.

+1 for the Sordins with gel cups. I also double up with plugs when shooting indoors.

I like to wear those 3M plugs i got issues in the military. Then i go on Facebook and pretend i'm going to get rich.... Wait, wrong conversation... I wear the Howard Leights, while shooting with a brake. I dont shoot with anyone, and i'm not deaf yet. so they must work somewhat.... I tried listening to music through them once... The sound quality was terrible though. So theres that.

Reactions: J-Ham and kai24
I suffer from serious high frequency hearing loss (from years ago around too many jet engines) and so my choice of hearing protection is critical to prevent further loss. I've purchased and used every major brand of active hearing protection and by far these are the very best I've found, and used, during days long training classes, to shorter range sessions, better than Sordin, or any other Peltor models, actually. No, they are not going to win you any "wanna-be Operator" award, but they will protect your hearing.

If you are not doubling up when shooting high powered rifles, you are foolish. If you are relying on in-ear gizmos only, you are foolish. If you are not doubling up when shooting at an indoor range, you are foolish. But, you will make your hearing aid salesman very happy.

And use 33bd foam plugs at the same time!!!

Reactions: broncoaz
EAR Inc SHOTHUNT series has an NRR rating of 32db, from my research past and present this is the best protecting IN EAR electronic on the market. ESP is only 25db and Sport Ear Ghost Stryke is 30db.

They also have foam inserts, so you don't have to worry about a $2400 pair of custom molded plugs not fitting correctly 5-8 years down the road (your ears and nose never stop growing).

I've been running them for 4 years now and absolutely love them. PM me with any questions and I'll help where I can.

Radians custom molded ear plugs $15-20 and Walkers Razor electronic $65-80. The Radians work great alone on guns without breaks. Dual for bigger guns and / or loud breaks.

Every couple of years when I go to a large motorcycle show I get true custom plugs made for $35-40 a pair. This, coupled with a good set of electric muffs, has kept my hearing still great, even at 62. I do have to thank my Dad for teaching me to always protect your ears. He learned right away while working on those giant piston engines in the '40's all the way through jets. Double up, with custom plugs, they are the way to go.

Double up and buy suppressors.

I just spent the weekend with my father-in-law that spent too many years on and around tractors. He is one of my best friends, but he’s nearly deaf. It is really sad to not be able to communicate with someone you’d love to talk to. He’s not the spotter he once was and neither one of us sign well...

I also recommend buying bulk packs of foam ear plugs at Walgreens and keeping it with your range gear. It is surprising how often people forget ear plugs.