• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection options?

WunderDog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Western NY
I need some advice on better hearing protection than I have been using to this point. I am usually good about using ear plugs whenever I shoot at the range or trap/skeet shoot. I have always only used the yellow foam ear plugs that we use at work. I am not sure they are enough, particularly when it comes to braked rifles and handguns. I am beginning to pay the price for the times when I do not use hearing protection both hunting and at work. I am too young for that and really want to improve my practices before I do any more damage.

When range or clay shooting, I am not worried about being able to hear other noise. However, when I hunt, I obviously want to be able to hear ambient noise. I am just hoping to get some recommendations on what has worked well for others in similar situations.

Thanks
Ryan

Re: Hearing protection options?

Peltor Tactical Sport.

I use a set for work and play. IMHO they are the best combination of cost and features. I may eventually get a set of MSA Sordins but these are so good that I am not in a hurry.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">

The very best are made by MSA Sordin. They are commercial grade and very comfortable. They do cost a bit though. But what's your hearing worth?

Bob
</span> </span>

For non electronic ear plugs I like the surefire's. They are cheap and you can use them over and over. For electronics on the cheap I like the howard leight's. The MSA's are nice but a bit more costly.

Chuck

Are the MSA Sordins appropriate for hunting use as well as range/target use? Do they amplify the sounds that you want to be able to hear better when hunting?

Yes, the Sordins amplify abmient as well as attenuate loud noises.

Regarding the Surefire "Sonic Defenders". I have a set and use them in a limited capacity. They are acceptable for an open air range or when you are shooting by yourself. They are NOT acceptable when you are on the line with braked or big bore weapons or if you are shooting under cover or in an urban environment.

DO NOT even entertain the idea of using them if you are going to fire a high power rifle from inside a structure. I know this doesn't apply to 99% of the folks reading this, but I felt it was VERY important to state.

When using the Sonic Defenders on a concrete firing line with tin roof, I have still felt uncomfortable after a few shots.

The Peltors have resolved this AND I can even carry on a conversation while other shooters are firing. They discriminate between voice and gunshot very well.

Give the Tac Sport's a try before you drop the cash on the Sordins.

BTW the Tac Sports also have audio input, but they require a special cable.

My Sordins have been nothing but trouble for me.

I guess I must have bought the only bad pair on the planet.

Mine constantly turn off for no reason (no, I'm not talking about the 4 hour automatic turn off)

They have already gone back once for service and were supposedly fixed but they still do it.

I use my cheap impact sports more often that my Sordins because of this.

There is no comparison to the MSA Sordins. They are pricey, but worth every penny (make sure you get the kit with the silicone cups). They are way more comfortable, have great sound reproduction and the electronic gate (when they shut off loud sounds) is almost un-noticable.

The biggest advantage is that they have a shut off feature after 4 hours. When the batteries do go, they are externaly replacable, so you don't have to pry them appart to swith batteries.

I carry my Peltors as a backup, but honestly, I hate them. Leaving them on one time was enough for me. The next time I went to use them, one side was dead. I broke the piece of shit earcup getting it off to replace the batteries. They perform well, but not near the level of the Sordins.

After a hearing protection related accident during a match (muff slipped off and pulled out earplug with it at a very inopportune time), I now wear custom molded low profile solid plugs under electronic muffs.

Whatever muffs you go with, highly recommend plugs of some sort underneath for extra protection, but more importantly backup in case the seal on the muff gets broken during shooting.

I should note that turning up the volume all the way on electronic muffs over plugs works out to more or less "normal" hearing of normal sound -- works nicely.

I have MSA Sordins and when I'm shooting from the bench, the muffs do not form a good seal around my ears. I find that I have to turn the muffs so that the headband is at almost a 45 degree angle to my head. And it seems no matter how I position them, they prevent me from getting a good cheek weld. I "double up" by using ear plugs.

I wear the Howard light sport muffs with ear plugs, MSA Sordins are in my future but I will continue to wear plugs at the same time, just turn the volume up alittle.

I use MSA Sordins with a back up pair of them. I always wear plugs under them when practicing or training. They are the best ear pro I have used. They gate so fast, sounds that you would never think of as loud get cut out instantly. They are stereo so you have sense of directional sound.

The Peltor Sports are dirt cheap and rock for buck from what every guy I know says about them.

I use foam ear plugs. They never; upset my cheekweld, turn off while shooting or talking about how well I'm shooting, fall off, or mess up my hair. They fit in my pocket too.

Are those of you using the Sordins using headband or neckband models? The neckband looks nice but I'm worried about it getting in the way in prone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry my Peltors as a backup, but honestly, I hate them. Leaving them on one time was enough for me. The next time I went to use them, one side was dead. I broke the piece of shit earcup getting it off to replace the batteries. They perform well, but not near the level of the Sordins. </div></div>

DO NOT mistake the earlier Peltor's for the Sport Tac.

The Sport Tac have one set of buttons to power and control volume for both sides. They have auto shutoff, audio input and fit under a PASGT style helmet.

They run on two AAA batteries that fit under the replaceable ear shells. You can also get Peltor Gel Ear covers for them. I haven't yet, but I may in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tdow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those of you using the Sordins using headband or neckband models? The neckband looks nice but I'm worried about it getting in the way in prone. </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">

Definately get the neckband model for hunting. Very comfortable and you can wear a UnderArmor, etc. beanie over them and keep warm.

Bob
</span> </span>

If you are serious about your hearing, then "double-up." That's the bottom line. Hearing damage is a result of:
Intensity
&
Length of exposure

A good set of ear plugs, PROPERLY installed gives you about 30-33dB of protection. Many folks do not insert the plugs deep enough in the ear canal to get the rated protection.
A decent ear muff gives you 20-24dB.

So, ear muffs alone are the worst choice. The two together are by far the best choice. This is especially important when shooting with a bunch of people at the range...especially when the evil doers with the brakes show up. A single shot with a braked rifle can cause permanent hearing damage. Most of the grizzled veteran highpower shooters have muffs on....and plugs underneath.

Peltor shotgunner muffs are very popular because they have a low-profile. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peltor-Shotgun...;ci_sku=9251895

Howard Leight makes 33dB plugs...best I've ever seen: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Earplugs-Uncorded-NRR33/dp/B0013A0C0Y

Out here....or is that out hear?

A couple 9mil FMJs work fairly well if no other protection is avaialable. But I agree with the majority, the Sordins reign supreme!

surefire ear plugs work well for me, for electric muffs ive only used peltor tac 6s and comtacs, the tac 6s are crap, the comtacs and the shit but a little on the expensive side.