• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection

Macmathews

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
Ontario . Canada
A buddy and me shoot on my property
It has been an every weekend thing since the winter..
We are sick of having to pull out earplugs and he has
researched a couple of electronic headsets..

Peltor seems to be what he is looking at with some kind of compression technology ??

I need real world experience with whatever you might use ?

thanks

Kyle

Look at the passive NRR numbers, higher is better. When shooting in enclosed areas, or with brakes, I double up with NRR30 plugs under the muffs. I'm wearing an old set of Remingtons (NRR 27 or so) and looking at 3M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector - Amazon.com and Amazon.com: SportEar XT4 Electronic Head Muff (Black): Sports & Outdoors
Be aware that bone conduction will transmit concussion, and safety glasses earpieces will allow noise in past the muffs. Look for flat temples.

1911fan

I have some electronic ear protection that is pretty nice for hearing while still protecting your ears. However, if I'm in an inclosed area where there is a more then a few rounds being fired, I'll usually double bag my ears cause they will be ringing by the end of the day. For hunting, or open area where you aren't near the side of high powered rifles being fired next to you, they work great! I'm pretty sensitive about my ears due to being a musician and shooter, so my ears really take a beating if i'm not careful.

custom molded plugs are super nice and very quick and easy to put in/take out.

I've got a set of peltors that are some of the nicest electronics I've had. I got swat-tac's as I use them with radios, but if you don't need that feature you can go quite a bit cheaper.

I picked up a pair of pel-tor sport tacs ( I believe that's the model) last year. I really enjoy them. WIth just foam plugs my ears didn't ring, but they'd get sore from taking them out while reloading mags or whatever and putting them back in over and over again. With the electronic ones I just put them on and leave them. I can hear conversation really well and then load noises are muffled out. Overall I have no complaints with them. Price was decent too, I think around 80 or 90 bucks.

Ive been using the Pro Ears Gold series earmuffs. They're expensive but have very good sound quality. I double up whenever I shoot and just turn the muffs up so I can hear. Going deaf is nothing to mess around about.

I've had a pair of Peltor Tac 6s for more years than I can remember, they're still running strong. I also like Surefire's plugs that work in a similar fashion without batteries. The problem I have with the Surefires is mine broke after a few years (they're cheap though) and they seem to amplify wind sound to the point of being useless for regular hearing. The only problem with the Peltors has been a few times when my position was less than stellar the recoil would knock one muff off my ear, it gets loud.

I have accumulated several different pairs of electronic (over the ear) pro.

I switched to Epro, cause I got tired of regular muffs making my head seem like
it was in a bucket. Also, regular passive muffs become uncomfortable rather
quickly for me.

With Epro, you regain the sense of open air again, and that restrictive static
pressure that is created by passive muffs goes away with Electric muffs.
With that being said, I can wear Epro for much longer periods without
them becoming irritating.

My Radians have the best sound quality reproduction of the few I own. They have
separate bass/ treble tone adjustments, volume, and on/ off knob on each ear.
The pad is comfy. The body of the muff is a tad bulkier than others though.

I also have a set of Peltors that I bought at Walmart, when I had forgotten
my ear protection one day. I think they were $60 or so.

These do not have the sound quality response as some others I have, but
they do have smaller body muffs, which I really favor as a quality.
Large bodied muffs tend to interfere with the buttstock at times.
At first, my intial thoughts on the Peltors from Wally was that I didn't like
the sound response. They are not nearly as bright or crisp in sound, nor
do they offer tone controls. But after using them more, I have grown to
like them more. I can hear conversation well, the mitigate gunfire well, and
are not cumbersome, do to the lower profile muff bodys. They are not
quite as comfy or plush feeling on the head or ears, but work as intended,
and are priced decent I feel.

One thing to consider is how the battery compartment is set up on whatever
Epro muffs you entertain buying. Some have nice, easy access battery
compartment doors that you enter using a coin or flatblade driver. In, out, done.

Others, such as my inexpensive Peltors, require the foam cup to be completely
disassembled to get the battery in and out.. it is a pain in the ass! If you want
to pull your batteries out to store the muffs while in non use for a period of time,
then it is a major pain. Also, if your batteries should get low or dead on charge,
another time consuming pain when you could be shooting.

Always carry spare batteries for whatever brand you use, cause when the
batteries fail, the muffs become retarded in their active speed, and your ears
will take a beating, cause the noise cancel process is to slow with low battery
voltage.

Headsets with a led on light is a plus, cause inevitably, you or someone will
leave your muffs on after using them, and there goes your batteries again.

From what I've found, there are 2 types of Epro.

Compression and Clipping technology. I prefer Compression, as the Clipping
method leaves you briefly with no enhanced hearing sometimes. Not a big
deal, but a little annoying when talking to someone, and your conversation
blanks out here and there. An example: snapping your fingers activates the
clip technology, and blanks the sound completely to your hearing for a brief
second. Yes you
are protected from potential damage, but also interupted sometimes as well
from hearing. During shooting it works fine and performs well though.
Not a deal breaker, just something I have noticed.

Overall, I like and use all my different headsets.
The Radians produce better sound, have good battery compartments, but if
batteries go low... Watch out, cause your ears will start ringing.

The Peltor version I have work fine, have OK enhanced hearing, but the battery
compartment design is terrible, and I would not buy these again because of
this poor oversight. They are comfortable, lightweight, and work fine though.

I never have had to use double ear pro, but I also only shoot alone or
with 1 or 2 shooters at most firing at once. I am sure if at busy range or comp, more
would be certainly advisabe.

Last edited:
Which I still don't get, due to their low passive NRR. They might be comfy but don't fulfill the primary purpose of hearing protection as well as far less expensive ones. Hype ain't everything.

1911fan

The rating is "low" because it based on independent testing, not a number provided by the manufacturer.

Others, such as my inexpensive Peltors, require the foam cup to be completely
disassembled to get the battery in and out.. it is a pain in the ass! If you want
to pull your batteries out to store the muffs while in non use for a period of time,
then it is a major pain. Also, if your batteries should get low or dead on charge,
another time consuming pain when you could be shooting.

Interesting, I've never found my Peltors to be terribly hard to take apart and put back together, though I agree the design is crap compared to what it could be. I've also never experienced a delay in the audio cut-out, the muffs just die when the batteries aren't cutting it anymore. I do use rechargeables though.

The rating is "low" because it based on independent testing, not a number provided by the manufacturer.

School me. Where does the NRR from manufacturers come from? Without really thinking about it, I figured there was some ASTM test that generated the NRR numbers used. I'm wrong, evidently.

1911fan

I have a pair of the Peltor Comtac III with gel cups and a pair of the TCI Liberators behind the head with the normal ear cups. I found for my purposes the Liberators to be better and easier to wear in conjunction with a helmet, however the gel ear cups are worth their weight in gold.

Another point, it was brought up above that eye pro will break the seal of your ear pro and your protection will suffer. I wore a pair of Smith Optics Aegis eye pro on my last deployment for that very reason, extremely thin stems that don't cause much in the way of sound leaks in your ear cups while also giving the benefit of not putting as much pressure on your temples, I used to get horrible headaches while wearing Oakley M-Frames for extended periods of time with ear pro on, Half Jackets were unbearable after 10 seconds.

Method for Calculating and Using the Noise Reduction Rating -NRR

http://www2.cdc.gov/hp-devices/pdfs/calculation.pdf

ASTM/ANSI, whichever. I'm still waiting for Triad to tell me how low NRR is better than high NRR. I'm genuinely curious, as I see a fair amount of Sordins at matches. But if testing NRR is standard, how are Sordins are better at noise reduction than muffs with an allegedly higher NRR? I'm also in the market for new muffs.

1911fan

While the price might hurt, I have the ProEars custom in ear and they are simply amazing. It is almost like wearing contacts and you forget they are in. Normal conversation sounds like nothing is there.

I do not know the dB reduction, but I can shoot my braked 338 Lapua next to my friend shot ting a 270 Weatherby Mag with no ringing.

I started using etymotic gsp-15 in ear protectors. They work great. They can also amplify sound like when you are in a deer stand and yet clip the loud gunshot sounds. When I am at the range I usually use headphones as well as ear plugs. The etymotic ear plugs are pricy but at around $400 they are the first usable in ear plugs that work well, I think most are more than that previously.

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport (Green Electronic) for all my hunting on my property and they have held up great.

I have tried all that is mentioned above. If money is tight and you need some good, lowpro muffs, go with the HL IMpact Sport.

Has anyone tried IEMs (usually used for listening to music) as hearing protection while shooting? Wouldn't be ideal if you're trying to hear conversations but would be pretty nice if you're wanting to listen to music and protect your ears. I have some shure IEMs that block up to 37db ambient noise, which is really pretty high when compared to some of the shooting ear plugs. Maybe I'll give them a try when I don't care to hear anything

I figured I'd add a plus one for the Comtac ACH III headset, they are super comfortable and the noise reduction is good as well. I'm actually trying to get a group buy going if anyone is interested.

I have a pair of the Peltor Comtac III with gel cups and a pair of the TCI Liberators behind the head with the normal ear cups. I found for my purposes the Liberators to be better and easier to wear in conjunction with a helmet, however the gel ear cups are worth their weight in gold.

Another point, it was brought up above that eye pro will break the seal of your ear pro and your protection will suffer. I wore a pair of Smith Optics Aegis eye pro on my last deployment for that very reason, extremely thin stems that don't cause much in the way of sound leaks in your ear cups while also giving the benefit of not putting as much pressure on your temples, I used to get horrible headaches while wearing Oakley M-Frames for extended periods of time with ear pro on, Half Jackets were unbearable after 10 seconds.

Put me down as a Happy MSA customer - just picked up a pro-X with GEL -all I can say is WOW - wish I had NEVER waited this long - such a different and better range
experience.
This thread is good BTW - sorta convinced me to take the plunge.

There's another thread on this going right down the page from yours, the info may help: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/s4-sniper%92s-hide%AE-equipment/229564-eletronic-ear-muffs.html

The MSA Sordin gets a lot of love

ASTM/ANSI, whichever. I'm still waiting for Triad to tell me how low NRR is better than high NRR. I'm genuinely curious, as I see a fair amount of Sordins at matches. But if testing NRR is standard, how are Sordins are better at noise reduction than muffs with an allegedly higher NRR? I'm also in the market for new muffs.

1911fan
+1 . I'm in the market for a second pair of earmuffs and wondering the same thing

I tried a buddies Sordins over the weekend..
They seemed nice and I was even able to hear 1000 Yard hits on 12x12" steel ..
that had to be the best part.

that and I can still have a conversation while everybody is shooting around me and am not afraid to get
caught with my plugs out :)

Kyle

1911fan

That's the point. Allegedly, because there isn't a set standard for the testing procedures and subsequently, the results listed by the various manufacturers don't really give an apple to apple comparison. If you've actually used all of these various brands of hearing protection, I doubt you'll find the Sordin's ability to block out damaging noise any worse than the ones with ALLEGELY higher NRR ratings. I take most of the claims with a grain of salt. Because of this, you're better off relying on the experience of others who have used the various products.

1911fan

1911fan, sorry I missed this. Too many similar threads on MSA Muffs going on at once here. Mute nailed it. Im not saying less protection is better, Im saying I believe the rating as given by MSA. I have some passive muffs listed at 31NRR that I dont think are as good as the MSA with gel rings.

Keep in mind that the decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear. An increase from 10 decibels to 20 decibels means a sound is 100 times intense and it is perceived as twice as loud. Just wanted to point that out so that you can compare manufacturers claims. Don't pay a bunch more money for a couple more dB of noise attenuation. You won't even notice. Best bet is to double up on ear pro which is what we were supposed to do as tankers in the Army when firing our 120mm main gun. What did you say?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best bet is to double up on ear pro which is what we were supposed to do as tankers in the Army when firing our 120mm main gun. What did you say?

Just like a DAT to try & wear two pairs of SORDINS...

Kidding brother! :p

Great point about dB's - that is lost on many.

I really enjoy wearing foamies and my Sordins. I can crank the Sordins up and still hear the brass hitting the gravel louder than the firearms report.

For a bonus, I plug in my iPhone and listen to music in the background. That is pleasant.

~Will

Keep in mind that the decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear. An increase from 10 decibels to 20 decibels means a sound is 100 times intense and it is perceived as twice as loud. Just wanted to point that out so that you can compare manufacturers claims. Don't pay a bunch more money for a couple more dB of noise attenuation. You won't even notice. Best bet is to double up on ear pro which is what we were supposed to do as tankers in the Army when firing our 120mm main gun. What did you say?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recall being out at Grafenwoehr and just had to stand next to an Abrams when they fired at the movers-once was enough. Though my freaking clothes were blown off, just had the issued ear plugs. One of those dumb things you thought was cool. I actually have a pic-caught the round in flight, pressed the shutter involuntarily when they fired. I've been doubling up for a while now to help as much as I can.

I have tried all that is mentioned above. If money is tight and you need some good, lowpro muffs, go with the HL IMpact Sport.

I have the Howard Leight's for work. They SUCK comparatively in performance.

I have two pairs of personally owned SORDINS and issued MSA/Peltors.

The Howard Leights are less expensive, but, they are not NEARLY as comfortable as GEL SEALS on Sordins, TCI's or MSA/Peltors.

The Howard Leights also don't last as long with batteries or their manufacturing/durability.

Save your pennies up and buy ONCE - Cry Once. Otherwise, you'll just wish you had.

~Will

I have a couple pairs of Pro Ears Gold (the full size and the rifle-cut versions) and am quite happy with them. I also have a pair of the Peltor TacSport. They are ok, but best suited for outdoors only (like the rifle-cut Pro Ears). The noise reduction is good, but the electronics are not as good as the Pro Ears IMO.