• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heart Rate monitor

JMC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor but I know pretty much nothing about them.

Does anyone here have some experience with some of the models available? Which ones are good models to go with and maybe even which ones to stay away from. I'm not that big into running right now mostly keeping my heart rate in a zone during a work out with a little running.

Thanks
JMC

Re: Heart Rate monitor

I have a nice Garmin Forerunner 305 that I used for cycling and running. I upgraded to a watch that I can swim in, and am not using it. PM me if your interested and I'll make you a killer deal.

It's a gps watch that maps your route and records your pace and lap times. It's kinda the standard for runners/cyclists.

Another good option is the Garmin FR60. It's a non gps watch that is supposed to be pretty accurate when using the foot pod

Timex road trainer is good one. Around $100 at Academy sports. It has alarms u can set to let you know when u reach a specific BPM or percentage of max heart rate. I use it weight lifting and running.

Good luck

Timex for me too. Has batteries you can change yourself instead of having to send it back to the factory like Polar.

I would def get a polar since every cardio machine on the planet has the receiver built in so they display your heart rate and use it for calorie calculations ect

most of them come with a watch unit too which display heart rate

I have the Garmin 405. Built in GPS and all the function you can imagine. Only downside to me is the battery life is not that great. In a 3 hour bike ride it will die on you. Its nice that it is rechargable. Just wished it lasted a little longer.