• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearttbeat

bobtodrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
Don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask...but it is rimfire related.
So, I've got a fairly stock Savage 93FVSS (WMR). Have adjusted the trigger down to 2.5lbs, have all screws torqued to spec and installed a Nikon M-223 2-8x scope and Harris bi-pod.
I've got it shooting about 1.4" at 100m (109yds).
I think I could do better but there is one issue that I know is affecting accuracy...my heart, which I can't factor out of the equation ;-)
Specifically, as my heart beats the scope ever so slightly moves.
Not much of course, but a steady beat back and forth...what looks like an inch or so on the target through the scope.
Of course I try and release the trigger at the same point every time, but I know this must be affecting accuracy.
So how do you guys deal with this...are there specific breathing exercises you do. Currently I'm doing the 'three deep breaths, exhale, and when the crosshairs settle squeeze.
I guess I'm asking...is rear-bagging the rifle the only way around this?
Or is 1.4" at 100m okay off a bi-pod and no rear support?
Thanks.

Re: Hearttbeat

A heavy, solid rear bag will help with this. Get the same affect but less pronounced when I shoot with a rear monopod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how do you guys deal with this?</div></div>

I cheat

test-rest.JPG

Not interested in playing by the rules, or coloring inside the lines.
grin.gif

Also make sure that you are well hydrated. I shoot small bore prone leather jacket and a sling. and when it is hot and I have not been drinking enough water, my heartbeat is louder than the gun firing. Remember to hydrate your self 2-3 days prior to shooting. Mike

Thanks for the replies...gee, never thought about the hydration but it does make sense. We've had a much hotter than normal summer up here (Alberta) and it likely does make a difference.
I guess I'm going to have to 'bit the bullet' and get a good rear bag. I've hesitated doing so because I just it's just one more thing to lug to the range, but it does seem to be what's needed to get that last ounce of accuracy out of my rig.

im interested on this subject as well cause i often shoot prone and i can physically feel the blood pumping through my boner

I was worrying about firing at exhale too much, was finding my self holding my breath. Now I just concentrate more on keeping breathing and mainly on consistent repeatable cheekweld, position behind the gun, and trigger hand pressure.

I know I'm ready to fire when I'm behind the gun, close both eyes, open them, and the crosshairs are still where I want them to be. Keep breathing and fire. And for me my trigger hand needs to have very very light pressure on the stock, but that's just me.

My findings have all come from shooting the monthly rimfire comps. No recoil of the 22lr helps working on the basics.

I just try to keep my offhand away from my chest. When shooting prone, I also try to keep as much weight as I can off of my chest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CZbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies...gee, never thought about the hydration but it does make sense. We've had a much hotter than normal summer up here (Alberta) and it likely does make a difference.
I guess I'm going to have to 'bit the bullet' and get a good rear bag. I've hesitated doing so because I just it's just one more thing to lug to the range, but it does seem to be what's needed to get that last ounce of accuracy out of my rig. </div></div>

Lug what?

tab%20sale.jpg

IT is just part of the kit.

...or.....wrap your head with 563 feet of gauze bandage all M.A.S.H. style....

I use a bag if practical but if you are able to take the time to control breathing your heart beat will slow. Time your shot in the lull between beats.

Thump, thump, bang.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A insulated sock full of microwaveable popcorn is hardly expensive.
wink.gif

IMAG0891.jpg
</div></div>

Popped or unpopped???

I find the unopped to be too hard, and the popped is too soft........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A insulated sock full of microwaveable popcorn is hardly expensive.
wink.gif

IMAG0891.jpg
</div></div>

Popped or unpopped???

I find the unopped to be too hard, and the popped is too soft........ </div></div>

And in extreme situations you can always eat your rear bag!
laugh.gif