• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heavy barrel on 300 win mag

mortaldan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2011
Third planet from the sun
I dont realy know where I would put this post..........so I just dropped it in here.

I have a 300 win mag rifle and am in the process of completly re-doing the whole kit and kaboodle. I want to make it a long-range hunting rifle. My problem is I dont know how heavy of a barrel to put on it. I know the military has some 300 win mags in service as sniper rifles. Could anyone here tell me the dimensions of those barrels as well as the twist rate and number of grooves? Oh yeah, before I forget, I am also curious if anyone knows how many grains the projectiles are as well. Thank you much.

Re: Heavy barrel on 300 win mag

24" heavy M-24 contour
5R rifling 1in10" twist
220gr SMK @ 2800-2900 fps

...But these specs don't make for a very good "hunting" rifle, unless you're a B4. Too heavy for most to lug around comfortably.

I'd go with a 22" Varmint contour, at most. Berger VLDs will make fine long-range hunting and target rounds.

Just so you know, most stuff like this has been covered ad nauseum. Try using this search link SH Search to find the information you seek.

Welcome to the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mortaldan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont realy know where I would put this post..........so I just dropped it in here.

I have a 300 win mag rifle and am in the process of completly re-doing the whole kit and kaboodle. I want to make it a long-range hunting rifle. My problem is I dont know how heavy of a barrel to put on it. I know the military has some 300 win mags in service as sniper rifles. Could anyone here tell me the dimensions of those barrels as well as the twist rate and number of grooves? Oh yeah, before I forget, I am also curious if anyone knows how many grains the projectiles are as well. Thank you much. </div></div>

If you're building a "hunting rifle" why would you care what the specs are for a military rifle used by snipers? Two different things.

Thank you. Your answer helped. I havent even been able to find half that much info on my own. (maybe its because I barely know how to turn my computer on). Any way, thank you again

What would your desired weight be and what type of hunting do you have in mind (ie thick woods or high desert etc)?

Mortaldan, You will get some good advise here.
Maybe go to the Hunting area.
Personally, I use a bolt 308 w/26 in. bbl. and shoot 165 gr. bullets at around 2600 fps. at the muzzle.
The bbl. is 5/8 in diameter at the muzzle so would probable be called a heavy sporter and is heavy, 9 lbs+ when loaded. Heavy stock.
It has served me well and put meat on the table many times.
It is not so heavy that I cannot carry it for miles but do know it is there.
I like the weight as to being able to hold it still when taking a shot, and the weight makes the recoil not so hard to take.
If you really want to hunt, start figuring out how to use cross sticks and make good shots from them.
They will steady you up a bunch if taking long shots.
Just my 2 cents worth and worth nothing.
Regards, FM

I want the entire weapon system to weigh no more than 15 lbs.
And most of my hunting is done in the plains of Montana or on the
mountain plateaus.

Honestly, I have been a 240 gunner for a few years, so I'm not worried about the weight. But I must say that I have started to experiment with different shooting techniques, and cross-sticks is one of my favourites. Thank you for your reply.

Well this is tiping the scales at 12.5 as it sits plus a sling and stock pack not shown. Replacing the Loopy with a Razor HD so it should end up being about 14.5 Lbs

20" Rock 5R M24 fluted barrel in 300WM

DSC00910.jpg

Dual use long range steel ringer and elk getter. Elk hunting done in Eastern Oregon where long range shots are common due to lack of concealment. Imagine similar to the type of landscape you may have.

Now thats what I'm talking about! what a gun! That beauty is almost identical to what I have had in mind. Steel ringing and critter shooting is exactly what I want in a rifle. Around here, a quarter mile shot at deer is average, and elk are usually closer to half mile.

Well I wouldn't go jump into follow my lead on this untill I get some solid load data worked out.

Planning on running 230 gr berger and if all goes well I'm shooting for 2600+ fps. May not be able to reach that goal so this very well may be a turd. On the flip side if it works out I don't see myself ever going back to long barrels.

Stay tuned more to follow soon after the holidays.

I don't like packing around anything with more than a #4 contour.