• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors heavy barrel suppressors

PUGSLEY83

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2010
CHESTERFIELD, VA
So im thinking about getting a suppressor for my remington 700 sps tactical .223. Yes i now its a .223 it probably dont need it but i want it. So anyone know what the best can would be its a heavy barrel?

Re: heavy barrel suppressors

What does the 223 have to do w/ weather you need it or not for sound suppression?

nothing at all but i made a post about a muzzle brake/flash hidder and i got a response about why the hell do u need that its a .223

IMHO......

The best .223 can is a 308 can. You'll be able to have a dual pupose can if you go 308 bolt action, dedicated .223 cans are only going to get a little better db reduction over a 308.

If you are sold on a .223 can only, I recommend a Liberty Constitution b/c it's a .223 can and can work dual purpose work on .22lr set ups since it's SS and take apart.

I have run a AAC M4-2000 and 1000 on my 223 bolt guns for years now. For the money the 1000 is just as quiet as anything out there. If you want the best...... AAC SPRM4 is the way to go.

I personally wouldn't label anything as "best"; as it sounds pretty absolut. But then again; that's me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally wouldn't label anything as "best"; as it sounds pretty absolut. But then again; that's me! </div></div>

+1

What's "best" for someone might not be what is "best" for others.

if i were to go with a .308 can would there be any draw backs since it has a bigger chamber? would it mess with the accuracy?

The 308 can has more volume and will suppress nicely and you can use it on a 30 cal rifle if you wish. I have a SPS Tactical in 308 and I use a Gemtech tension mount on the heavy barrel. I use the same can on my AR with the quick mount flash hider. I don't have any experience with the brand 30 cal supprressors but anything made by Liberty is also a good choice. I've had them do some retrofit 22 cans for me and they're mouse fart quiet.

so does anyone have a (yhm)phantom 7.62 suppressor on a heavy barrel remington sps tactical or have any experience with them?

Your obsession with a "heavy barrel" is unwarranted.

The SPS Tac has plenty of meat to accept threads for a can. Seen cans on much smaller barrel profiles.
Heavier, stiffer barrels will most likely show less of a POI shift with a can installed than a smaller contour barrel will. Hanging anything that weighs a pound or more off the end of a barrel will cause a POI shift to some degree IME.

The YHM, GemT, Jet, SAS, TB will all work fine on your rifle.
I have an SAS Ti on my 308 SPS Tac and it works just fine. Have another coming to dedicate to my whisper with the same barrel profile.

IMO, get a 308 can to run on your 223 for the reasons mentioned above. They are more versatile. I am having some adapters made so I can run my 308 cans on my ar15's if the mood strikes me.

My shooting pard has a QD YHM can that he uses on various rifles, none of which have a larger barrel contour then the SPS Tac. It works well.

if you want the best (yes i said it) and dont mind a flash-hider on you bolt gun then the aac spr/m4 is the way to go.

if you want second best and again dont mind a flash-hider then the m42000 is the way to go.

if you want the best 308 thread on can then look at the cyclone (cant be beat for weight, sound and durability).

nfatalk and silencer research are the 2 places for number and reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PUGSLEY83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok thanks, anybody know the virgina laws on owning one and what u would have to go threw to get it?</div></div>

search for a local class 3 ffl dealer in your area and they will be able to help you through the entire process.

<span style="color: #000099"> </span> <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> I would suggest you do a few demo's on like equiptment, same type of rifle with different can's.
Seeing and hearing in person is the best way to determine your prefference

Virginia is suppressor friendly to start off...find a dealer that deals with Class III and he can explain it to you. Not a difficult process but will take 4-6 months to get it - could be a little faster but you never know. I think if you got a AAC M4/1000 or 2000 you would be happy. I have a m4/2000 on my Ar's and works very well. If you are going to use 308 and 223 then I would get a 308 can and run it on both. Just depends on your situation.